Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kratz Re-signed, Latest: Traded to SF

Offline    Kratz Re-signed, Latest: Traded to SF

Posted: November 27, 2018, 5:55 PM Post
Terms not disclosed yet

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kratz has been resigned to a 1 year contract

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:01 PM Post
Only 300 k guaranteed.......happy to have him back as an option. Obviously very well liked by his teammates.

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/10 ... 09088?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:01 PM Post
Did not expect that at all tbh. Would have thought for sure that they'd go with Piña + new signing of some kind. But I guess this yet again shows that this regime values the defensive aspect highly, and that they like how pitchers worked with him. I hope it works out, in his short time here so far he has seemed like a really good teammate and good person overall. But I do have my doubts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Kratz has been resigned to a 1 year contract

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:04 PM Post
MVKratz!!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:09 PM Post
Kratz is far superior than Realmuto

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:10 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Only 300 k guaranteed.......happy to have him back as an option. Obviously very well liked by his teammates.

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/10 ... 09088?s=21

I wonder how does this type of deal work for a player out of options? Will he be signed to a minor league deal and thus not be on the 40-man for now? Or is it a major league contract but where he'll be exposed to waivers every time he gets sent to the minors, but if he accepts being outrighted he'll earn the higher salary negotiated?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:27 PM Post
This is insurance if there are no better options brought in or if Nottingham is determined to not be ready.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
This is also a "welcome to the coaching staff" deal

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:50 PM Post
wallus said:
This is insurance if there are no better options brought in or if Nottingham is determined to not be ready.

Im ok with the guarantee if that's all it is. Prudent move if that's the case

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:58 PM Post
I’m so excited for him

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 6:59 PM Post
I would have thought they would sign him to a minor league contract thus saving a 40 man spot. However, the low guaranteed salary is a bonus. Hopefully they can find an upgrade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 7:44 PM Post
Kratz is a team guy, I am ok with resigning him...

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kratz Re-signed, 1 Year/1.2 million, only $300k guaranteed

Posted: November 27, 2018, 10:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
This is exactly what I expected with Kratz.

I'm betting that no one - not even him - expects him to make the roster. But the Crew give him a nice salary (300k) to be in the minors and be ready in case there are injuries (always a concern with catchers).

It works out nice for everyone. The Brewers have a trusted veteran down at AAA if the need arises. Kratz gets a guaranteed deal worth at at least $300,000 (probably more as he would have a chance to get called up if there was an injury and in September when rosters expand). He plays a couple of times a week, stays in shape, maybe helps teach Nottingham the nuances of the game. It's a good plan. In the end, Kratz can have one more season with a solid payday and even get some time on the big league club if needed.

Not bad for a guy who turns 39 next season.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and the team wants him on the roster all season in 2019. But I doubt that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 10:48 PM Post
I really like this. $1.2M for your veteran backup catcher whose game is what Kratz's is is a pretty decent deal. Yeah, he's going on 39, but we'll likely have more money blown w/ guys on the DL anyway than if we're paying Kratz $300k in AAA.

You had to figure there would be at least one other catcher beyond Pina with some meaningful MLB experience on the 40-man (in other words, someone else besides Nottingham). Kratz is nothing flashy but he knows the team & the team knows what he can do & what he's about, and there's something to be said for the combination of those factors and the very reasonable cost for them.

It may be a moot point, but I'd still be up for giving Stephen Vogt the same money (maybe slightly less) but on a minor-league/NRI/make-good deal, too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:00 AM Post
MNBrew said:
I really like this. $1.2M for your veteran backup catcher whose game is what Kratz's is is a pretty decent deal. Yeah, he's going on 39, but we'll likely have more money blown w/ guys on the DL anyway than if we're paying Kratz $300k in AAA.

You had to figure there would be at least one other catcher beyond Pina with some meaningful MLB experience on the 40-man (in other words, someone else besides Nottingham). Kratz is nothing flashy but he knows the team & the team knows what he can do & what he's about, and there's something to be said for the combination of those factors and the very reasonable cost for them.

It may be a moot point, but I'd still be up for giving Stephen Vogt the same money (maybe slightly less) but on a minor-league/NRI/make-good deal, too.

Left handed catchers, 3b, and middle infielders always make me interested, although Vogt had no arm before shoulder surgery.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:49 AM Post
Fine with this but would have rather he signed a $300,000 minor league contract with the $1.2 million if he makes the team and put Jon Olczak on the 40 man.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:07 AM Post
If they are using a 40 man on Kratz that means they aren’t yet comfortable with Nottingham.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:23 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
If they are using a 40 man on Kratz that means they aren’t yet comfortable with Nottingham.

Or that Nottingham is trade capital. I suppose those two conclusions are pretty much one in the same, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:00 AM Post
Kratz as the back-up? I doubt that...I really do. He is an okay insurance policy at AAA, but lets be honest here, he sucks. Still a guy ho OPS+ 69 and has questionable defense. That offense is fine if he is a stud defensively...but not the way he hits.

They would be way better off signing Maldonado to backup and just pay a few extra millions. No way they allow Kratz to be the secondary guy going into ST.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:09 AM Post
Boomer5 said:

Why would they be comfortable with Nottingham? He hasn't hit much at all above A ball except for 200 or so PA in Colorado Springs, a hitter's haven. Even there his numbers were good, not great. It was a given they'd add a veteran.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply