LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewer arbitration settlements/Tender Decisions

Offline    Brewer arbitration settlements/Tender Decisions

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:04 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/10 ... 95680?s=21

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 93664?s=21

Last edited by markedman5 on November 30, 2018, 4:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Perez signs for 2.5 million

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:32 PM Post
Perfectly respectable utility player. Allows for the brewers to go down to a 4 man bench for long stretches at a time.

I just don’t want to see him get 450 PAs again. 2018 was a step in the right direction.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:37 PM Post
Nice. Underrated part of what made it possible for the Brewers to do what they do, milking a few extra wins out of great late-game defense and getting the most out of their roster spots. Plenty good against LHP's, which the Brewers need. Plus pinch-runner as well.

Wish he'd take more pitches because I think he could be a really good player if he did, but for $2.5m I'll gladly take him. I wasn't really worried that they'd let him go anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:37 PM Post
Slightly less than the $2.7mil estimate for him that I've seen a few times. He's a good fit in the role he has with this roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:40 PM Post
Jennings gone

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewer arbitration settlements

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:56 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/10 ... 50528?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:57 PM Post
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1068639295299350528?s=21

I suppose this could be taken as a sign that Schoop is for sure a goner. I didn't expect Saladino to be tendered, but it doesn't bother me, either. Decent depth option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:58 PM Post
I think all the moving around undoubtedly hurts Perez somewhat at the plate. I've always felt if given a full time job at one spot he'd put up respectable offensive numbers, like .275/.305/.420, but he's more valuable as a guy that can be moved all over and that's probably given him more job security than putting up decent numbers every year at one position. Plus he's a key clubhouse guy and a true professional who plays the game right and now he's one of he longest tenured on the roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 5:05 PM Post
I didn’t realize Saladino had an option left. Great depth to potentially stash in AAA for depth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 5:09 PM Post
These contracts aren’t guaranteed are they?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 5:13 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
These contracts aren’t guaranteed are they?

Not until the season starts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewer arbitration settlements

Posted: November 30, 2018, 5:21 PM Post
Milwaukee Brewers
Verified account
@Brewers
5m5 minutes ago
INF/OF Hernán Pérez and INF Tyler Saladino have signed 1-year contracts, avoiding arbitration. INF Jonathan Schoop, LHP Xavier Cedeño and LHP Dan Jennings have been non-tendered.

Milwaukee Brewers
Verified account
@Brewers
3m3 minutes ago
The Brewers have tendered contracts to C Manny Piña, OF Domingo Santana, INF Travis Shaw, RHP Zach Davies, RHP Junior Guerra, RHP Corey Knebel and RHP Jimmy Nelson.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewer arbitration settlements/Tender Decisions

Posted: November 30, 2018, 6:54 PM Post
I'm a little surprised X-man is gone. I guess this means the Brewers are getting out of the LOOGY business. Bullpen needs guys that can get out lefties and righties and preferably can go more than one inning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 6:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
The lack of options is the major reason, I'd assume. The LOOGY is probably the last or 2nd-to-last man on the staff, and I'd expect the AAA carousel to continue to cycle this year. I'd imagine they'll find a similarly-priced LOOGY with an option and sign them instead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 7:00 PM Post
AdvantageSchneider said:
I'm a little surprised X-man is gone. I guess this means the Brewers are getting out of the LOOGY business. Bullpen needs guys that can get out lefties and righties and preferably can go more than one inning.

The spotlight was too bright for Cedeno on several occasions in the postseason...LOOGY is still an important role, but you need one that can get it done when it counts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 9:00 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
AdvantageSchneider said:

The spotlight was too bright for Cedeno on several occasions in the postseason...LOOGY is still an important role, but you need one that can get it done when it counts.

He mostly just gave up a few seeing-eye grounders. LHB's OPS something like .600 against him. That's comparable to Hader against RHP's, which just goes to show that even a borderline roster-worthy pitcher can be almost as effective against favorable platoon match-ups as literally one of the most valuable relievers of all time is against unfavorable ones.

I'm okay with not wasting a roster spot on a LOOGY with no options because you don't get much use out of them, but I'm not okay with the rationale being based on such a small, flukey sample with a high BABIP. That would be pretty short-sighted.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 9:39 PM Post
I recall a few situations where he just walked 1-2 lefties in spots he was brought in to get them out - in particular the Cubs game 163. The seeing eye grounders I don't mind, that happens - but you can't walk guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:25 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
I recall a few situations where he just walked 1-2 lefties in spots he was brought in to get them out - in particular the Cubs game 163. The seeing eye grounders I don't mind, that happens - but you can't walk guys.

That's still an extremely small sample. LHB's have a career OPS of .583 against him. He is NOT a LOOGY who can't get lefties out. It just comes off as being mad because baseball happened and a handful of LHB's reached base against him at a bad time. He had a 2.43 era on the year with a 2.95 FIP and 1.26 WHIP. He faced more RHB's (though few of them were dangerous, I assume) than LHB's and held them to a .604 OPS.

He allowed 7 singles and 3 walks in 8 innings in the regular season with the Brewers:

Daniel Murphy - single to RF
Zobrist (bats both, slightly better against LHP's) - walk
Jeimer Candelario (bats both, much better against LHP's) - single to CF
Patrick Wisdom (RHB) - single
Matt Carpenter - walk
Corey Dickerson - single
Joey Votto - single
Brandon Crawford - walk
Zobrist - single
Mark Reynolds - single

He gave up 3 singles and a walk in 1 inning in the playoffs (let's judge his value based on 1 inning!!):

Yasmani Grandal (bats both, better against RHP's) - single
Joc Pederson - single
Manny Machado (RHB) - intentional walk
Max Muncy - single

In case it's not totally obvious, the problem is that he faced some extraordinarily talented LHB's and some dangerous switch-hitters and RHB's as well. The other problem is judging him on an absurdly small sample. You can make the case that the presence of good switch-hitters and the rarity of having 2 or more LHB's in a row in the batting order makes LOOGY's a waste of a roster spot, but it comes off as really spoiled and petulant to act like Cedeno didn't do his job. No LHP gets every single LHB out every single time. Not even Hader. And definitely not when it includes the guys listed above.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:37 AM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
Fear The Chorizo said:

That's still an extremely small sample. LHB's have a career OPS of .583 against him. He is NOT a LOOGY who can't get lefties out. It just comes off as being mad because baseball happened and a handful of LHB's reached base against him at a bad time. He had a 2.43 era on the year with a 2.95 FIP and 1.26 WHIP. He faced more RHB's (though few of them were dangerous, I assume) than LHB's and held them to a .604 OPS.

He allowed 7 singles and 3 walks in 8 innings in the regular season with the Brewers:

Matt Carpenter - walk
Corey Dickerson - single
Joey Votto - single
Brandon Crawford - walk
Zobrist - single
Mark Reynolds - single

He gave up 3 singles and a walk in 1 inning in the playoffs (let's judge his value based on 1 inning!!):

Joc Pederson - single
Max Muncy - single

In case it's not totally obvious, the problem is that he faced some extraordinarily talented LHB's and some dangerous switch-hitters and RHB's as well. The other problem is judging him on an absurdly small sample. You can make the case that the presence of good switch-hitters and the rarity of having 2 or more LHB's in a row in the batting order makes LOOGY's a waste of a roster spot, but it comes off as really spoiled and petulant to act like Cedeno didn't do his job. No LHP gets every single LHB out every single time. Not even Hader. And definitely not when it includes the guys listed above.

This is a really good post. I felt that for the most part, Cedeno did his job. The issue was that the few times he didn't were pretty big moments. Still, I am very surprised that he was non-tendered, given how the Brewers like to play matchups, and the dearth of lefty relievers currently available but on the roster and in the upper minors. Right now not only is Hader the only non-injured lefty on the active roster, he's the only one of the 40-man, with Daniel Brown probably the only other lefty who is even moderately close to being a major league pitcher. I suppose Suter stands a small chance of pitching a little by the end of 2019, but Torres-Costa is likely out the whole year, and Ramirez is a free agent. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after a lefty starter, and at least 1-2 lefty relief arms, along with several minor league free agent NRI-types. If I'm a lefty reliever looking for a job, the Brewers have to be a prime candidate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 9:55 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
coolhandluke121 said:
Fear The Chorizo said:

Matt Carpenter - walk
Corey Dickerson - single
Joey Votto - single
Brandon Crawford - walk
Zobrist - single
Mark Reynolds - single

Joc Pederson - single
Max Muncy - single

This is a really good post. I felt that for the most part, Cedeno did his job. The issue was that the few times he didn't were pretty big moments. Still, I am very surprised that he was non-tendered, given how the Brewers like to play matchups, and the dearth of lefty relievers currently available but on the roster and in the upper minors. Right now not only is Hader the only non-injured lefty on the active roster, he's the only one of the 40-man, with Daniel Brown probably the only other lefty who is even moderately close to being a major league pitcher. I suppose Suter stands a small chance of pitching a little by the end of 2019, but Torres-Costa is likely out the whole year, and Ramirez is a free agent. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after a lefty starter, and at least 1-2 lefty relief arms, along with several minor league free agent NRI-types. If I'm a lefty reliever looking for a job, the Brewers have to be a prime candidate.

Zach Britton and Andrew Miller are two solid lefty options for Stearns to target this winter. Miller probably has more appeal since he is used to pitching multiple innings. Having him and Hader to flip flop games would make for an awesome season. Having those two and Jeffress, Knebel, and possibly Woodruff would make for a very dominant bullpen. I see Burnes making the rotation this season and keeping Woodruff in the bullpen since he seemed to really embrace that role.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply