Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 40 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corbin signs with Nationals - 6 year deal, $140M reported

Offline    Corbin signs with Nationals - 6 year deal, $140M reported

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:53 PM Post
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 4201952256

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Corbin signs with Nationals - 6 year deal

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:54 PM Post
No thank you on a 6 year deal to any pitcher outside of a select few. Corbin is not one of the select few.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
Said to be around $126M. That translates into $21M per year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:58 PM Post
Two years before this ERAs of 5.1 and 4.03 with WHIPs around 1.5. And you have to give him 120+ mil. Yea I'll pass on that too. Good for him though, had a good year at the right time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:58 PM Post
Only on the hook through his age 34 season? HUGE score for Nationals if he is for real. Absolute steal if so.

That being said little track record...pretty risky. $21mil isn't much these days and is hardly a crippling contract even if he regresses. Better than paying Harper if you ask me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:00 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Only on the hook through his age 34 season? HUGE score for Nationals if he is for real. Absolute steal if so.

That being said little track record...pretty risky.

Agreed on all points. They could sign Harper, or get Corbin and probably 2 solid relievers for the same amount of money per year for the next 2-3 years. Easy decision in my opinion, their roster is super solid...so if they can make good relief signings they could be a force again.

Quote   Reply 

tmwiese55 said:
Two years before this ERAs of 5.1 and 4.03 with WHIPs around 1.5. And you have to give him 120+ mil. Yea I'll pass on that too. Good for him though, had a good year at the right time.

Previously underachieving pitcher has a career year that coincides with a contract year? Well, knock me over with a feather!

Remember last year when there were rumors that Corbin was on the block, and that they had interest in Broxton or Santana? Part of my wonders if Corbin would have been dealt to the Brewers if Milwaukee might have a World Series trophy.

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on December 04, 2018, 3:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Global Moderator
The Marlins are going to lose 120 games playing in the NL East next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Will be interesting to see how this deal is structured. Nationals have been big on deferrals in the past.

For instance they owe Scherzer 105 million for 2019-2021, but it is actually being paid 15 million a year from 2022 to 2028. Don't worry, though, Max isn't pitching for no paycheck the next three seasons. He got a 50 million signing bonus with 15 million paid in each of 2019, 2020 & 2021.

Trying to decipher Strasburg's payment schedule is equally fun. From what I can tell he is getting 15 million each from this year through the last year of his deal in 2023 followed by 10 million a year in deferred payments from 2024-2030.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:06 PM Post
Eye Black said:
The Marlins are going to lose 120 games playing in the NL East next year.

I realize they got fleeced in the Yelich trade while the other 3 trades were fine but I think it is appearing more and more to be a good idea for them to sit out 3-4 seasons rebuilding.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
Now they are saying $140M for 6 years. There will likely be deferrals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:07 PM Post
Now being reported as $140.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:10 PM Post
Passan says 6 years $140 million. Wow!

Makes things tougher on the Brewers, potentially, I was hoping he would sign with an AL team. Of course if Corbin doesn't pitch well or gets injured and the contract prevents the Nationals from making other moves, then that obviously helps the Brewers... Will be interesting to watch it play out

Definitely makes a good pitching staff better, and he is going somewhere where he doesn't have to be an ace.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:12 PM Post
This could make for a very fun winter meetings next week. This obviously helps set the market for FA pitchers, but also to some degree the trade market. And it could definitely add a bit of desperation as teams don't want to miss out on the best guys.

This offseason has definitely been more fun thusfar than last offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
I never expected the Brewers to make a serious play for Corbin, but I did think if the Yankees signed him it would increase the likelihood the Brewers might end up signing J.A. Happ. I would now bet on a return to NY being the most likely destination for Happ.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:27 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:

Previously underachieving pitcher has a career year that coincides with a contract year? Well, knock me over with a feather!

Remember last year when there were rumors that Corbin was on the block, and that they had interest in Broxton or Santana? Part of my wonders if Corbin would have been dealt to the Brewers if Milwaukee might have a Word Series trophy.

The 2018 Brewers with Patrick Corbin on the roster still can't hit. So, probably not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:53 PM Post
Holy buckets that is a lot of years/money for Corbin

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:56 PM Post
With the unbalanced schedule, having 3 teams being all-in in the NL East may actually help the chances of an NL Central team getting a wild card spot. The Braves, Phillies, and Nats can’t all win a ton of division games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 4:02 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:

Remember last year when there were rumors that Corbin was on the block, and that they had interest in Broxton or Santana? Part of my wonders if Corbin would have been dealt to the Brewers if Milwaukee might have a Word Series trophy.

The 2018 Brewers with Patrick Corbin on the roster still can't hit. So, probably not.

The Brewers were 2nd in the NL in team OPS+ and you say they "can't hit."

Tough crowd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 4:22 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:

This is being overstated. He's been quite good his whole career with the exception of one year. And he's young.

The price appears to be $140, not $126, but I'd still be happy if I were a Nationals fan. Obviously made no sense for the Brewers though.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 40 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply