LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Schoop to the Twins, 1 Year - $7m

Offline  Re: Schoop to the Twins, 1 Year - $7m

Posted: December 06, 2018, 9:39 PM Post
He will be a poster boy/case study for all the lawyers in the next CBA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 12:23 AM Post
I was looking at Schoop and Villar and there are some definite parallels between the two. Both can play the MI positions although you probably don't want to run them out as your SS every day. Both appear to have caught lightning in a bottle in their age 25 season. Both are on their 3rd major league team. Shoop has a career OPS+ of 98, VIillar's is 93. Neither appear to perform very well when the spotlight is on them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 1:29 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Not surprised schoop wanted a 1 yr deal at all considering how many options there are to play 2nd on the fa market. Have himself another solid year and go into free agency next offseason when he was expected to all along to go after a big contract. Best of luck to him...

To me this is an example of an antiquated arbitration system...I bet the brewers would have happily kept him around for next season if they could have offered him that amount and he accepted...no way they could have without the players union throwing a fit while he was under arbitration control in a system that essentially guarantees a raise based off prior production.

The arbitration numbers are based on outdated statistical analysis. However the rest of what you are complaining about is the system working as designed. They could have offered Schoop whatever they felt like, but unless it was close to the expected arbitration number, there was no incentive for him to sign. There was also nothing preventing the Brewers from offering Schoop 7.5M for the year after they declined arbitration. The system is to get players to get a good chunk of money or become FA's early.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Schoop to the Twins, 1 Year - $7m

Posted: December 07, 2018, 7:56 AM Post
MadScientist said:
....... There was also nothing preventing the Brewers from offering Schoop 7.5M for the year after they declined arbitration. The system is to get players to get a good chunk of money or become FA's early.

Is or was there ever a time where the team had a window where they couldn't sign a player if they didn't offer them arbitration? In other words, they had to wait longer than other teams to sign them as a free agent. For some reason that is something that tickles the brain.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 8:01 AM Post
Roderick said:
MadScientist said:
....... There was also nothing preventing the Brewers from offering Schoop 7.5M for the year after they declined arbitration. The system is to get players to get a good chunk of money or become FA's early.

Is or was there ever a time where the team had a window where they couldn't sign a player if they didn't offer them arbitration? In other words, they had to wait longer than other teams to sign them as a free agent. For some reason that is something that tickles the brain.

I believe once they are non-tendered, they a free agent and can sign anywhere, including the team that non-tendered them. Schoop doesn't have 6 years of major-league service, so I don't think there was any strings attached. It is a confusing system, though.

A player with six or more years of major-league service (on the team's 40-man roster) who is not under contract for the following season is automatically a free agent.

Teams can receive compensation for the player with a draft pick in the following year's draft in June. To receive compensation, the team must offer the player salary arbitration.

It is then up to the player to either accept arbitration or sign with another team. The team must offer salary arbitration to the player by early December or the team will not be allowed to negotiate with or sign the player until the following May 1. After arbitration is offered, the player has two weeks to accept or refuse salary arbitration. If it is refused, the player can only negotiate with the club until Jan. 7. after which no more negotiation can take place until May 1.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 8:43 AM Post
DS is a lot smarter than I am but I would have liked him back on that deal. For some reason I just still have a hard time giving up on him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
The Brewers will sign 2B Brian Dozier for one year/$6M instead.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:01 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:

Dozier was pretty much just as bad for the Dodgers as Schoop was for the Brewers. But he has a better track record for consistency, too. He's known as a great leader and clubhouse guy. As a bridge 2B, you could do much, much worse.

I'm hoping for a two-year deal for LeMahieu, but I could see them make a play for one year of Dozier.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:09 AM Post
swing and a drive is that your opinion or inside stuff ?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:27 AM Post

Career OPS of 0.850 against LHP while playing most of his games at pitcher-friendly Target Field would be an interesting add to the club as a 1-year stopgap. I like LeMahieu, but it's impossible to not be cautious about Coors field park effects on his #'s and I'm sure he would be looking for more than what the Brewers are comfortable giving a 2nd baseman in free agency considering their best prospect is on his way soon at that position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:40 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:

Career OPS of 0.850 against LHP while playing most of his games at pitcher-friendly Target Field would be an interesting add to the club as a 1-year stopgap. I like LeMahieu, but it's impossible to not be cautious about Coors field park effects on his #'s and I'm sure he would be looking for more than what the Brewers are comfortable giving a 2nd baseman in free agency considering their best prospect is on his way soon at that position.

I don't understand all the cautiousness about the "Coors Field" effect. It's isn't like Miller Park is like hitting at Ebbets Field. Sometimes guys are just more comfortable hitting in their home park, regardless of where that park is.

A LeMahieu signing would provide a solid buffer that enables the team be patient with Hiura, instead of rushing him up. I personally want to see him put together a few months of solid play at the AAA level at the very least before I hand him the everyday 2B job on a World Series contender. If he proves ready, LeMahieu will either serve as a trade chip, or slide into a high-leverage utility role. While he doesn't have as much time at other positions as someone like Marwin Gonzalez, he is a Gold Glove-level defender at 2B, and has seen MLB time at SS and 3B. It's my belief that he hasn't played all around the diamond on a regular basis simply because he's been an All Star Gold Glove 2B for the Rockies, so there hasn't been any reason to move him around.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:42 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Dozier was pretty much just as bad for the Dodgers as Schoop was for the Brewers. But he has a better track record for consistency, too. He's known as a great leader and clubhouse guy. As a bridge 2B, you could do much, much worse.

I'm hoping for a two-year deal for LeMahieu, but I could see them make a play for one year of Dozier.

Didn't we all talk about getting Dozier last season before the trade deadline or am I thinking of someone else...?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:49 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I don't understand all the cautiousness about the "Coors Field" effect. It's isn't like Miller Park is like hitting at Ebbets Field. Sometimes guys are just more comfortable hitting in their home park, regardless of where that park is.

I'd love to see some other guys that have that big of multi season splits from their home park that don't play at Coors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:57 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

1) Jeffrey Hammonds.
2) Jeffrey Hammonds.
3) Jeffrey Hammonds.
4) Jeffrey Hammonds.
5) Jeffrey Hammonds.
6) Troy Tulowitski
7) Every other ex-Rockie...

Edit: if the rest of baseball was paying attention to Schoop last season with the Brewers he will never see a fastball again (even ahead 3-0 in the count).

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 11:13 AM Post
Yes, if there is any park to be leary of massive split like that it's Coors. And it's several years for him so it's not a small sample now. For the right price sure, but you can't ignore an elephant in the room like that one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 11:20 AM Post
brewmann04 said:
swing and a drive is that your opinion or inside stuff ?

That's not inside info. Just my thoughts on a money savings position upgrade idea.

Most predict Dozier may get some 2 year offers, but I think the 2B market is over-saturated and he can be had on a one year deal.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 11:39 AM Post
From solely a 'hits' perspective, which IMO is a bigger separator than HR rate in terms of park factors, Coors' Field is the most hitter friendly park by far across MLB. In that regard, Miller Park was actually viewed as a more pitcher-friendly venue, ranking 22 in 2018 in terms of 'hits' park factor.

LeMahieu has a 0.157 point OPS split between career home (.835) and road (.673), driven in large part by a career batting average discrepancy of 0.66 points (.330 vs .264). His career HR totals are similar home vs road (actually has hit more HR on the road), but his doubles and triples output is basically 2-1 in terms of home vs road over a similar # of plate appearances.

Coors has made LaMahieu's career look similar to Dozier offensively, but Dozier is the better hitter.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply