LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Offline  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: December 21, 2018, 7:59 AM Post
Solid depth signing, with the hope that a guy who is in his peak years finds an offensive breakout. Obviously the pedigree is there being a former high 1st rounder. I imagine if he goes to San Antonio he will be spending most of his time as a corner OF.

If the plan is to have Spangenberg and Perez platoon at 2B, that is not inspiring. But there are still a lot of options out there. The more I look at Marwin Gonzalez, the more I see a good fit there. News on him has been strangely absent so far this offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 8:27 AM Post
This is just a split contract so I doubt that the Brewers are looking at this is as a Perez/Spangenberg platoon at 2B. More likely just as an insurance move to protect themselves in case Perez suffers a major injury in spring training or early in the season. If the time comes and Spangenberg agrees to stay in the Brewer's system, he'd be a pretty nice piece to have in AAA.

But if this is to set up a Perez/Spangenberg platoon then I dislike the move. Spangenberg is another guy who just too much trouble getting on base. If the Brewers start next season with:
C = Pina/Kratz
2B = Perez/Spangenberg
SS = Arcia
Then they have set themselves up to be in the same boat as last year. Half the lineup doing nothing for the first two months, and then hoping a rookie hitter can come up and save the offense.

I really doubt that Stearns is done with 2B/C. Always a chance he is done and takes the remaining available resources and dedicates it to pitching, but my guess is that he is still searching for better options here.

I remember when Spangenberg was in the draft and there were rumors that the Brewers did like him (obviously that was back in the Melvin days). I thought he was a pretty interesting candidate, but he just isn't a very good major leaguer. Career slash line isn't that bad - .258/.318/.391/.709 - last year MLB 2B hit .254/.316/.396/.712. But Spangenberg was bad last year, only a .298 OBP and .661 OPS. If one looks at the three-year splits, he's actually been much better at home so the Petco factor doesn't seem to be in play at all. Defensive metrics have him as very average at 2B but bad everywhere else. That's appears to be a significant difference between Spangenberg and Perez. Perez can do a fine job if needed in the outfield, but the metrics makes Spangenberg look pretty much like a train wreck out there (-19.9 UZR/150 for all his outfield play, Perez is +6.9). Sometimes Steamer throws so real curve balls with their projections, but they have Spangenberg as a .245/.307/.383/.690 slash and a 0.3 WAR for 2019...and those numbers look to be pretty reasonable when looking back over the last three seasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 8:33 AM Post
We're gonna have some names on the team this year. That's for sure.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 8:46 AM Post
Meh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 9:01 AM Post
It's very meh, but it's low risk and interesting enough. He's at peak production age of 27 and had a very good batted ball profile last year. The biggest notable issue I have in his batted ball profile is GB rate. Maybe that's something the Brewers feel they can fix.

I don't think Cory gets a roster spot unless he truly earns it. If he has a great spring, it's possible he platoons with Perez to open the season. It's also just as likely that we make a bigger signing and Cory competes with Perez for the platoon spot or is simply AAA insurance.

Most of this is moot anyways, as I expect sometime in June we'll see Hiura as the everyday 2b and raking.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 9:01 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Solid depth signing, with the hope that a guy who is in his peak years finds an offensive breakout. Obviously the pedigree is there being a former high 1st rounder.

A first-rounder only in technicality as I recall him being a pure "signability" pick, and the last top-10 pure "signability" pick before the bonus pool rules were implemented in 2012. This was the Padres comp pick from not signing Karsten Whitson the year before (colossal mistake by Whitson to not sign) so they had to draft someone who would sign or they lost the pick. Similar to Jed Bradley, who was the Brewers comp pick for not signing Dylan Covey the year before, a pick who had to sign or be lost.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 9:04 AM Post
Seems fine but nothing to get excited about as he's probably just mediocre filler. low cost, tons of versatility, good splits vs righties to play the big platoon at 2B. That said, if we're playing Perez vs lefties at 2B then Shaw is playing almost every game vs lefties. Or at least one of Spangenberg or Shaw is playing. Not ideal but possibly fixed once Huira is up

Last edited by tmwiese55 on December 21, 2018, 9:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 9:10 AM Post
I would have much preferred Solarte in the same role of insurance for Thames being moved. Spangenburg is just another strikeout machine. Might as well have signed Matt Davidson. At least he provides plus power.

Spangenberg is Brad Miller all over again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 9:39 AM Post
Conspiracy theory: Spangenberg is a good fit as utility guy if we end up signing LeMahieu, who would be the normal starter at 2B but does hit much worse against RHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 10:23 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I would have much preferred Solarte in the same role of insurance for Thames being moved. Spangenburg is just another strikeout machine. Might as well have signed Matt Davidson. At least he provides plus power.

It's different in that he costs next to nothing and we still have plenty of opportunity to make a better move.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 11:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
Counsell has no problem pulling players for match-ups, so Spangenberg could be a good fit for the Brewers. He should not ever hit against lefties, but has a career .271/.331/.423/.754 line against righties. With the ability to play all over the field, he makes tons of sense for the Counsell-led Crew.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: December 21, 2018, 11:17 AM Post
He was actually pretty good platoon option in 2017; 811 OPS vs RH. He should not ever face a LH though. Going into 2019 he will be 28 so it is not unreasonable for him to repeat that.

Hopefully, as others have stated, this is a depth signing. He has that one option left, so that is extremely valuable to the brewers.. I'm sure we will see him up and down throughout the year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 12:01 PM Post
Signing LeMahieu or Dozier to a multi-year contract with Hiura so close doesn't seem likely. As a result, this makes me believe that the Brewers anticipate opening 2019 with Perez/Spangenberg as the 2B platoon, with Hiura coming as soon as he clears Super 2 eligibility.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 1:11 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Signing LeMahieu or Dozier to a multi-year contract with Hiura so close doesn't seem likely. As a result, this makes me believe that the Brewers anticipate opening 2019 with Perez/Spangenberg as the 2B platoon, with Hiura coming as soon as he clears Super 2 eligibility.

I am starting to think this way. Unless one of the other 2B options doesn't get any good multi year offers and is willing to take a higher value 1 year deal to prove it and try again next year on the market.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 1:17 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
Warning Track Power said:

I am starting to think this way. Unless one of the other 2B options doesn't get any good multi year offers and is willing to take a higher value 1 year deal to prove it and try again next year on the market.

It's certainly possible that they start to look at the 2nd tier options such as Neil Walker, Logan Forsythe or Brandon Phillips. My hope is still Marwin Gonzalez, though, if they aren't looking toward LeMahieu.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
Ew.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 1:53 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

It's different in that he costs next to nothing and we still have plenty of opportunity to make a better move.

Solarte will very likely cost next-to-next-to-nothing. There are a lot of aspects that go into a signing like this though other than a quick look at their stats and the slight difference in cash. As an internet armchair GM I still don't like it.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: December 21, 2018, 3:07 PM Post
Nothing is preventing them from getting Solarte or anyone else.

Spagenberg may not even be on the MLB roster. If he is, it's realistic for him to hit .825 OPS vs RHP- not bad at all. I don't have time to look, but I bet that's way better than the production they got last year out of 2B vs RHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 3:27 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Nothing is preventing them from getting Solarte or anyone else.

Spagenberg may not even be on the MLB roster. If he is, it's realistic for him to hit .825 OPS vs RHP- not bad at all. I don't have time to look, but I bet that's way better than the production they got last year out of 2B vs RHP.

Exactly. We could make 10 signings like this if we wanted, including Solarte. None of this is guaranteed. I guess it's possible the minor league portion is guaranteed but 10 of those would cost all of $2-3 million. All you need to do is hit on one and it's a huge win. I can understand being annoyed if this is all we did at the 2b position. But this 1 move as a stand-alone move really should not be viewed negatively by anybody.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 3:27 PM Post
Oxy said:
KeithStone53151 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Solarte will very likely cost next-to-next-to-nothing. There are a lot of aspects that go into a signing like this though other than a quick look at their stats and the slight difference in cash. As an internet armchair GM I still don't like it.

Solarte also has 1yr less control, is a slightly below average defender compared to Spangenberg being average (DRS), has 3yrs straight of declining production and is several years older. Matt Davidson is a corner IF. We don't need a corner IF. He also typically hits 30pts less (both BA and OBP) than Spangenberg.

Here's my perspective on the signing. The Brewers 2b position hit 227/290/668 last year so anything above that is an improvement. Perez is coming off his 3rd straight year of offensive decline and he had 130 fewer PAs from 2017 to 2018. If Arcia is solid offensively then him, Shaw, Aguilar, Hiura (once up) aren't coming out of the game so the bat on the bench becomes more important than the glove, which is why I think Perez is traded between now and the deadline as his value lies on the defensive versatility side. And we'll still be covered on the bench with Dubon, Spangenberg, Saladino in backup roles.

Spangenberg had a down year in 2018 but previously he was consistently slashing 265/325/725, which happens to essentially be what NL 2b averaged last year. His BB rate is also 3-3.5% better than Perez. I'd bank on him bouncing back closer to his pre-2018 numbers plus his exit velo/hard hit % have increased year over year since 2016. That's a pretty decent upgrade offensively at both the 2b spot and over Perez while still filling in at 3b/LF. 2yrs cheap control and a lefty. Good depth sign that doesn't prevent them from improving the 2b/depth spots even more. Saladino/Spangenberg can be solid pieces over the next couple years and cheaper than Perez.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply