LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Offline  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: December 21, 2018, 5:44 PM Post
A versatile LHB, with an option year remaining, for very little money, and with another year of control via arbitration. Young enough for there to be a possibility of improvement. It's a decent move even if that doesn't happen, but has potential upside. If it doesn't pan out, he stays in the minors for depth costing $250k. Very little downside to it.

And remains to be seen what other moves are made. Agree that it's a possibility Hernan is traded, and we'll have to see about Thames. With Gamel also coming that's two lefty bats added.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 21, 2018, 11:54 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Nothing is preventing them from getting Solarte or anyone else.

Spagenberg may not even be on the MLB roster. If he is, it's realistic for him to hit .825 OPS vs RHP- not bad at all. I don't have time to look, but I bet that's way better than the production they got last year out of 2B vs RHP.

Exactly. We could make 10 signings like this if we wanted, including Solarte. None of this is guaranteed. I guess it's possible the minor league portion is guaranteed but 10 of those would cost all of $2-3 million. All you need to do is hit on one and it's a huge win. I can understand being annoyed if this is all we did at the 2b position. But this 1 move as a stand-alone move really should not be viewed negatively by anybody.

Besides whatever his bench role for the Brewers could turn out to be, if Spangenberg only ends up in San Antonio, there's still legit value in having capable depth with MLB experience down at AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 30, 2018, 5:16 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Spangenberg excited to get ‘fresh start’ with Brewers

Several quotes within, physical still pending...

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: December 30, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
Mass Haas said:

This is one of those under the radar moves with some real upside. Spangenberg is not without some pedigree. He was a 10th overall pick, and a consensus top 100 prospect at one time. In Miller Park, his bat may play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 30, 2018, 3:11 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Mass Haas said:

This is one of those under the radar moves with some real upside. Spangenberg is not without some pedigree. He was a 10th overall pick, and a consensus top 100 prospect at one time. In Miller Park, his bat may play.

I agree. Spangenberg hit .289/.355/.457 vs RHP in 2017 & .261/.332/.393 vs RHP in 2018. He struggles mightily vs LHP

Hernan Perez hit .239/.282/.330 vs RHP in 2018 & .241/.272/.405 vs RHP in 2017.

It is entirely possible that Spangenberg is merely AAAA depth, and depending on what other moves are made that may be true. But I think, similar to bringing in Ben Gamel, the Brewers are looking at Spangenberg as a way to improve production vs RHP.

Perez had 209 plate appearances vs RHP in 2018, and, considering the .282 OBP, I'm guessing Stearns & Co consider that way too many at bats given away. Perez can hit LHP, he has value. Spangenberg is a much better option vs RHP ...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 30, 2018, 3:17 PM Post
At the very least, he will probably be better than 2018 Sogard and Miller. He’ll cost less too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 30, 2018, 10:15 PM Post
I'm hardly sold on Spangenberg, but by the Dodgers series it became increasingly obvious -- and painfully so -- that the Brewers' mostly RH bench had no real threats beyond Santana, especially with Thames in an endless 2nd-half slump.

That Spangenberg could be one of a few less-glitzy additions that improves the bench's overall offensive contributions is reason enough not to pass initial judgement on signing him.

And if he doesn't pan out, at least he has an option remaining so we're not at risk of losing him if we try to get him down to AAA to get him PT or hitting better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2018, 1:48 PM Post
MNBrew said:
I'm hardly sold on Spangenberg, but by the Dodgers series it became increasingly obvious -- and painfully so -- that the Brewers' mostly RH bench had no real threats beyond Santana, especially with Thames in an endless 2nd-half slump.

Do you view him as a threat though?

I don't, and I doiubt our opponents will either.

I think he is a depth signing, nothing more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2018, 9:45 PM Post
I think most likely he's a depth signing and I hope that still-to-come transactions ensure that.

If he turns out to be more than that AND proves productive, it's a bonus... and very possibly because he gets some chances in MIL and perpetuates or improves on his not-trashy career BA vs. RHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 01, 2019, 7:24 AM Post
I see him as a supplement to Perez on the bench. A bench of Kratz/Nottingham, Spangenberg, Perez, Boxton, and Gamel would be balanced and able to cover everything.

All the Crew needs to do at this point is find takers for Anderson and Thames.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

Posted: February 06, 2019, 7:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
One thing I hadn’t realized previously, Cory Spangenberg had the 17th best average home to first sprint speed in MLB last season with 3.78 seconds to 1B. That would have ranked 1st on the Brewers. Christian Yelich ranked #22 in MLB last year at 3.81 seconds and Lorenzo Cain was tied for #68 at 3.88 seconds.

EDIT: Ben Gamel ranked 42nd in MLB last season at an average of 3.84 seconds from home to first base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 1:16 PM Post
It seems like Stearns has certainly made an effort to acquire fast players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2019, 11:03 AM Post

Roster Guru
spangenberg probably had the edge over tyler saladino for the final utility spot, but given that the brewers are likely looking at carrying 13 pitchers, it's tough for a position player to crack the 25-man roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 11:15 AM Post

Roster Guru
insight on how the brewers view their utility depth? they brought spangenberg to montreal to close out the exhibition season and not tyler saladino.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 11:37 AM Post
Not good for Saladino when Wes Wilson and Nate Orf make it over him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:09 PM Post
djoctagone said:
insight on how the brewers view their utility depth? they brought spangenberg to montreal to close out the exhibition season and not tyler saladino.

Or they just wanted to see Corey get some more AB's against MLB-ish pitching. I don't think there's much of anything that can be read into it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
Outlander said:

I am of the belief that Tyler Saladino and Tyrone Taylor are likely the first ones off the 40 man if a signing/acquisition occurs.

Spangenburg is a better hitter than Saladino and can play both INF and OF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
wildcat2237 said:
Outlander said:

I am of the belief that Tyler Saladino and Tyrone Taylor are likely the first ones off the 40 man if a signing/acquisition occurs.

Spangenburg is a better hitter than Saladino and can play both INF and OF.

I get it with Saladino, but they seem pretty high on Taylor. I would imagine Aaron Wilkerson and maybe Jake Petricka would be lower on the totem pole than Taylor.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
Outlander said:

I don't think either of those guys are making it. I assumed this would be the 12 offensive guys on opening day:

Cain
Yelich
Aguilar
Braun
Moustakas
Grandal
Arcia
Shaw
Perez
Piña
Thames
Gamel