LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  [ 351 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Domingo Santana to the Mariners, Gamel and Zavolas to MKE

Offline  Re: Domingo Santana to the Mariners, Gamel and Zavolas to MKE
Posted: October 01, 2019, 8:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
Sure, batting average matters.

But, OBP matters more & Grisham was league average in that category at age 22, which is fine, if not even maybe encouraging.

Also, in regards to struggling to make contact...

Grisham 2019 | 78.9% contact rate
MLB Average 2019 | 76.5% contact rate

If anything he maybe slipped back into being too passive...

Grisham 2019 | 38.2% swing rate
MLB Average 2019 | 47.1% swing rate

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
We find out just how much batting averages matter every time a few guys get on base. Higher average and there are more runs scored.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
Santana's hot start clouds his number for the year. After the first month of the season, he was a non-factor. In Milwaukee, he wouldn't have had that hot start since there was no place to play him.

I'd make that trade again today if it was offered.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 3:09 PM Post
The issue with batting average is that since it doesn't include either extra base hits or other ways of getting on base, it paints a very incomplete picture of a player. Can you draw the conclusion from their .246 and .248 BA that Grandal and Gamel were equally valuable hitters in 2019? OBP is better but still misses out on power. So looking at the complete slash line, or using something like wRC+, is even better. As part of the AVG/OBP/SLG triple slash, batting average servers a purpose as it tells us about what type of hitter someone is. On it's own it's not very meaningful unless it's extremely high or extremely low.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 3:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
Pittsburgh was 7th in all of baseball in team batting average.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
homer said:

This literally means nothing.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 4:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
homer said:

This literally means nothing.

7th in batting average, 4th in batting average with men on base, 7th in batting average with RISP...

...yet, 21st in runs scored.

This seems to run contrary to the idea that we find out how much batting averages matter every time a few guys get on base.

The Pirates wRC+ of 92 (20th in MLB) correlated much better with their runs scored than did their batting average.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 10:23 PM Post
I consider the Santana/Gamel performances to be a wash. Largely because they are two different players, each of whom filled a need the team that acquired them had.

Zavolas, I think, is the long-term key. If he becomes a part of the Brewers rotation, or a key bullpen asset, or if he helps acquire someone who fills a need, then the Brewers win the trade.

If Zavolas flames out, or gets figured out in AAA/MLB, then the deal's a wash.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 10:34 PM Post
clancyphile said:
I consider the Santana/Gamel performances to be a wash. Largely because they are two different players, each of whom filled a need the team that acquired them had.

Zavolas, I think, is the long-term key. If he becomes a part of the Brewers rotation, or a key bullpen asset, or if he helps acquire someone who fills a need, then the Brewers win the trade.

If Zavolas flames out, or gets figured out in AAA/MLB, then the deal's a wash.

When first announced, I hated the trade. Just thought that Santana could bring alot more than Gamel and Zavolas, in hindsight though, your analysis is 100% correct!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Domingo batted 280/357/400/757 on Sundays in 2019, but 279/395/529/924 on Fridays. His mother should've named him Viernes instead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2019, 9:14 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Domingo batted 280/357/400/757 on Sundays in 2019, but 279/395/529/924 on Fridays. His mother should've named him Viernes instead.

You know I completely remembered him being amazing on Sundays in 2017 and I even wanted to quote it at one point on a forum. But I couldn't figure out how to find that info. Where did you get these stats if you don't mind me asking? These stats show it was just a fluke but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to find stats by day of week.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  [ 351 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply