LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Online    Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Per Jon Heyman tweet

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/10 ... 7606975488

"The Milwaukee Brewers have acquired right-handed pitchers Bobby Wahl and Adam Hill and infielder Felix Valerio from the New York Mets in exchange for outfielder Keon Broxton."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
Just glancing at these guys but it seems like Hill and Valerio are lottery tickets similar to the return for the Adam Lind trade. Valerio tore up the DSL as an 18 year old.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
I trust Stearns on this because I don't have much else to say about the players in this trade.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting. Adam Hill was a 4th round draft pick this past June. He had 26 Ks in 15 innings pitched. Not the worst thing to replenish the farm system a little.

I assume Broxton would have been less likely to be traded if he still had any options remaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:41 PM Post
We really have no use for Broxton at this point. I have zero faith he would ever offer us anything more than a late inning defensive replacement (who would probably get too many at bats during the course of a season).

Glad we got something for him that might be of value in the future.

Quote   Reply 

Clearing OF space for a Bryce Harper signing....

Several upside prospects for Broxton is more than I expected...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

This made my day. Zero options so he needed to be moved.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
The reliever had good numbers in triple a and is current #28 on the Mets mlb pipeline. Also gets it up there in the high 90’s. I’m ok with the trade, even though the return isn’t much, as it was clear he was nothing more than the 5th of. Question is if they carry 5, who is now the 5th. Probably this is why you have guys like Perez and spanenberg.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:47 PM Post
So the options if/when Braun goes down are Ben Gamel, Hernan Perez and Cory Spangenberg?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
ctmyers said:
So the options if/when Braun goes down are Ben Gamel, Hernan Perez and Cory Spangenberg?

Well Thames is still on the team...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:50 PM Post
Honestly this was a pretty solid return. Lottery ticket teenager middle infielder, power arm with some upside, and a 4th rounder from last year who had a nice 1st season in the minors.

Because of how we value flexibility, the time to move Broxton was now since we couldn't shuffle him between MLB and AAA anymore.

He never was able to stay consistent enough or avoid K's enough to stick consistently in the lineup, but Keon did some good things in Milwaukee and had some very memorable moments, particularly defensively. I wish him the best in New York.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:51 PM Post
Keon being traded was rather inevitable. Best of luck to Keon who was certainly a memorable player in his time here. That game-ending HR robbery against the Cardinals was one of my favorite moments of the regular season.

Don't know anything about the players we got in return other than their statlines, but Hill's 15 K/9 and Wahls 14+ K/9 in AAA which is always encouraging. That also makes two 2018 draftees that Stearns has traded for this offseason, I'd imagine those were players who have been on their radar a while and perhaps just missed out on in the draft?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:51 PM Post
https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/ ... 96416?s=21

Stearns also mentioned the AAA guys, Ray, Stokes, and Taylor

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Good luck to Keon. It always seemed like he was a good dude. I am surprised we got "this much" for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Hill is more than a lottery ticket. Relief pitcher prospect, 2.35 ERA in A ball, played for South Carolina. Needs to cut down on the walks. Just 21. 6'6" 185. Somebody needs to introduce him to Braun's "connection"

I love adding Valerio to the system. Kid will be only 18 in 2019. 2B 5'7" 165. Hit .319/.409./.433 last year. Dominican Republic prospect. Love it

At first glance Wahl looks like a AAAA guy. He's been good in AAA, struggled in brief MLB appearances. Maybe the Brewers can get him to the next level.

I'll miss Keon. But like the trade. Especially optimistic about Valerio.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball on January 05, 2019, 12:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:53 PM Post
ctmyers said:

Corey Ray?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
3and2Fastball said:
Hill is more than a lottery ticket. Relief pitcher prospect, 2.35 ERA in A ball, played for South Carolina. Needs to cut down on the walks. Just 21. 6'6" 185.

Yeah you're right. I just saw he had played one year in the minors. Didn't see how old he was. More advanced than the return for Lind.

Quote   Reply 

ctmyers said:

Gamel's an MLB OF with more experience than Broxton and a bit less experience than Santana, so it's not like he's a neophyte or total drop off. The Perez & Spangenberg pieces were already there, plus Thames if he's still around.

Basically Gamel's been added to the roster while Santana & Broxton have been subtracted, thus a net "OF asset" quantity change of -1. To me that's not a concern because realistically it was pretty unlikely they'd have kept both Broxton AND Santana through if not even into the season anyway.

Plus as others have noted, there are three AAA OFs who are legit OFs and who have all their options remaining.

Net effect = flexibility. With any luck it also lessens our K frequency.

Broxton's defense isn't to be underestimated, but in such a limited role as he would've had, the impact of his defensive skill set would've been less anyway.

Last edited by MNBrew on January 05, 2019, 1:01 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

The more I watch the Brewers operate, I think they are developing a philosophy of avoiding the reliever FA market entirely. Want to build up a solid core of pitchers, some of which can be shuffled up and down when needed, trade low level prospects for rental relievers when needed, and use their capital on other needs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:15 PM Post
Wahl is going to be one of those "shuffle" guys, like a Jorge Lopez or Adrian Houser of 2018. Or in a better case scenario, like a Jacob Barnes. Or in a best case scenario, a Brandon Woodruff.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply