LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 169 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
adambr2 said:
The more I watch the Brewers operate, I think they are developing a philosophy of avoiding the reliever FA market entirely. Want to build up a solid core of pitchers, some of which can be shuffled up and down when needed, trade low level prospects for rental relievers when needed, and use their capital on other needs.

I think they'd consider a FA reliever if he would be one of the top relievers on the team. The problem is that they are too expensive. The Brewers know they will need extra pitchers at times, and being able to option several of them makes the staff effectively 17 or 18.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:19 PM Post
With Broxton now gone, those patrons sitting behind the plate will have to supply their own fans on hot summer days and nights.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:23 PM Post
I love this trade. Assuming Houser makes the opening day roster because he's out of options, Wahl teams nicely with Taylor Williams to give the Brewers outstanding right handed relief insurance policies. Add two more prospects on top of that.

I don't mind taking Broxton and his low OPB out of the equation.

It looks pretty solid for the Mets too. The Mets only have 4 outfielders on their 40-man and Cespedes is likely to miss the entire season which brings them down to 3. They get a MLB outfielder that has an attractive power/speed combo and can play all three spots and they don't have to give up a necessary MLB piece or a top 25 prospect to get him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
I guess that talk of Broxton having no value wasn't exactly true. Best of luck to him in NY.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
Is this official or can the Mets change their mind (or back out)?

Asking for a friend

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
I see them adding another OF with MLB experience on a Minor League / Spring Training invite deal. Gives them another option in case of injury. The AAA guys don't look ready for any significant time in MLB yet and the Perez, Thames, etc. group is really just a flexibility play and shouldn't be counted on for any longer time frames.
Good trade though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:41 PM Post
I always loved Keon. Shame his bat never came around.

Could he ever move in the outfield.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:44 PM Post
Fangraphs gave Wahl's fastball a 70-grade back in 2017:

Wahl’s stuff came back after elbow surgery in 2015 and was sitting in the mid- to upper 90s last year. He has a power breaking ball that misses bats when he breaks it off well, but he doesn’t do that consistently. He’s an arm-strength relief prospect who could debut this year, but a lack of command and a consistent, bat-missing secondary likely limits his ceiling to middle relief despite the 70 heater.

I'm of course most excited about Valerio though. Crazy stats so the upside is something to dream on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 1:50 PM Post
It appears to be a win all around. Broxton seems like a guy who needs to play regularly and he wasn't going to get that here. The Mets needs OF help and they got a very good defender who has some upside offensive even with the holes. Potential 20 hr 20 steal guys who can play defense at an high level have value. Especially at his price. We trade a spare part for minor league depth with a nice combination of pre 40 man roster guys and AAA talent with options remaining to keep the major league shuffle functioning.
Good luck Keon, you were fun to watch. On defense anyway.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:00 PM Post
Guessing Hill was another guy there were very high on in draft but was taken before they could get him. When you are a competitive team but still have ability to make deals like this to bring in 1 possible Knebel type RP prospects and two promising lottery tickets, that is always nice. Need to keep prospect stable growing even when competitive

This deal reminds me of Lind trade except quicker return with Wahl.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Is this official or can the Mets change their mind (or back out)?

Asking for a friend

There's questions about Keon's hip. /blue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
Man I loved the upside Broxton had but as soon as Cain was signed Broxton needed to go. Now lets see the Brewers get crazy with it and try and make a value run at AJ Pollock. With that you can play Braun as 4th outfielder / part time 1st baseman. It gives you 2 guys who can still play a great CF.

Bring back Moose and roll with that on offense. Try and bring back Gio, or sign Brett Anderson or Clay Buchholz or maybe even Drew Pomeranz (sp?).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:10 PM Post
Outlander said:
I guess that talk of Broxton having no value wasn't exactly true. Best of luck to him in NY.

Even though Gamel is more of a known quantity than any of these guys. I think you could pretty legitimately argue that the Broxton return was better than the Santana return.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Valerio is a little dude 5'7". Let's hope for Jose Altuve redux (plus an inch or two).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:19 PM Post
My first thought was to worry about what would happen if Cain got hurt for an extended period next year, but then I realized they probably wouldn't sniff the playoffs if Cain got hurt anyway, even with Broxton, so I like it. The return is rock solid. Was wondering what they would do with Broxton and Santana. OF trade market is much better this year apparently. Glad they had the patience (as usual) to wait until the time was right. Also glad they're not attaching an asset or paying a bunch of salary just to dump Thames.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:21 PM Post
ctmyers said:
So the options if/when Braun goes down are Ben Gamel, Hernan Perez and Cory Spangenberg?

Exactly. No outfield depth anymore and both this and the Santana trade were massive sell lows with underwhelming return. I don't like how this off-season is playing out at all. Love what Stearns has done to this point, but it seems like Dean Taylor has been running the ship the past few months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:25 PM Post
Love this trade. Upside prospects for a guy who really can’t be a regular at the mlb level.

Quote   Reply 

coolhandluke121 said:
My first thought was to worry about what would happen if Cain got hurt for an extended period next year, but then I realized they probably wouldn't sniff the playoffs if Cain got hurt anyway, even with Broxton, so I like it.

If Cain gets hurt they can just move Yelich to CF and use Gamel/Thames in RF (not ideal obviously but probably better than starting Broxton in CF everyday)

Quote   Reply 

I don't see the Crew even thinking of Pollock. He had almost identical stats to Braun and is reportedly looking for L. Cain type money. Way to much for a #4 OF. Plus he has a long history of injuries. I don't think Stearns has any interest in Gio based on what he has done lately. He is definitely looking at the downside of his career and little more than a fill-in starter now. Bucholz is a RH so he's out too since the Crew is loaded with RH pitchers. Pomeranz is a LH, which the Brewers desperately need, but he made $8.5M last year and is looking for a sizable increase. I don't think Stearns is going there either. Miley remains an option at around $5-6M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... n-broxton/

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 169 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply