LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 169 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Online  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:30 PM Post
Love this deal. Can't believe we were able to get this much value for Broxton.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:34 PM Post
RockCoCougars said:
ctmyers said:
So the options if/when Braun goes down are Ben Gamel, Hernan Perez and Cory Spangenberg?

Exactly. No outfield depth anymore and both this and the Santana trade were massive sell lows with underwhelming return. I don't like how this off-season is playing out at all. Love what Stearns has done to this point, but it seems like Dean Taylor has been running the ship the past few months.

Disagree with this. Love the return in this trade and Santana types have lost value in general the last few years. Stearns isn’t perfect but we will always need to make these type of trades to replenish the farm.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:37 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Love this deal. Can't believe we were able to get this much value for Broxton.

My heart just stopped.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
Certainly more than I would have thought Broxton could have brought back.

Reflecting on the trade that brought him here originally, all it took was Jason Rogers (who's now playing indy ball) to get a 4th OF who made some good contributions to the MLB team and a potential bullpen arm. I think that was a Stearns deal. Either way, worked out great for us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 2:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
Keon was fun to watch - what a tease, he's one skill away from being a superstar - but he is what he is.

I'd have done this deal, why not - you've got three kids to hope on, and they all have some potential - seems like a solid idea.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 3:31 PM Post
One big skill........lol

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 3:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
I guess the poster that assured us Broxton would make the 25 out of spring was correct...just for the Mets.

I figured teams would wait us out on both Domingo/Keon & try to pick them up for just a waiver fee out of spring training. That Stearns was able to deal both for interesting returns are two more checks for me under the "Maybe This Guy Knows What He's Doing" column.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 4:06 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
I agree with the overall assessment that I'm a little surprised to get a multiple-player return for Broxton, and while the Mets aren't exactly giving away premium, top prospects, there could be a serviceable major league or two among the three players. Wahl I remember well when he pitched at Ole Miss as a big-bodied hurler, although it's not especially encouraging that a college arm hasn't made much of an impact in the big leagues at 26-27 years old.

I had the opportunity to see Adam Hill in person last March against Brady Singer and the Florida Gators. I wasn't blown away with what I saw but he was solid 1-2 times through the Gators lineup. His stuff didn't stand out but he certainly had a knack for missing bats, which usually points to a greater extension, higher spin rate and/or some other quality a pitcher possesses outside of one's pure stuff.

I make note of that in the report I filed with video:

Hill entered his game against the Florida Gators second in the nation in strikeouts with 43, recording those in just 23 innings of work while also allowing only seven walks and nine base hits. He did however have a 3.91 ERA, which suggests some big innings, not to mention big hits, and considering he had given up three home runs of those nine hits that would seem to be the case.

He certainly looks the part of a staff ace, with a listed 6-foot-5, 225-pound frame, and it’s well-proportioned strength throughout. His delivery is clean and repeatable and he does a nice job maintaining his arm speed on his secondary pitches. By the fifth inning, when his velocity dropped a couple of ticks, it looked as though his arm may have dropped a little as well, spending most of the game throwing from a traditional three-quarters delivery.

In the first inning he came out pumping fastballs, registering a couple of 94’s and 95’s but sitting for the most part right at 93 mph. The pitch has some late life at times, but he does elevate the pitch frequently, of which it can straighten out. He extends well out front, with his TrackMan readings being fairly true to his 6-foot-5 stature, but it did seem to cause his fastball to play up a little. The pitch sat in the 91-93 mph range for his first four innings of work but was down to 89-91 in the fifth inning, working 4 2/3 innings in this game against the No. 1 team in the nation, not to mention the defending national champions.

His breaking ball was inconsistent, thrown like a curveball but acting like a slider at times. It was at its best when thrown in the low-80s, right in the 81-83 mph range, and had a shorter but sharp break to it. When thrown in the upper-70s it acted more as a get-me-over pitch he could drop in for strikes to keep hitters’ timing off-set from his fastball velocity. His change was thrown at 84-85 mph and didn’t really change much, more of a true slow ball than a pull-the-string variety without much fading movement, although his arm speed was replicated well.

Despite giving up five walks in 4 2/3 innings he was always around the zone and didn’t battle with control issues, staying composed and focused on the mound. Two of the three runs he allowed came across to score after he had left the ballgame in a 7-3 loss to Florida, and he allowed only three base hits. Hill did strike out six, as he continued to miss bats thanks to his fastball and extension, and none of the contact he allowed was particularly hard. However, he frequently was out of sync, and his drop in velocity in the fifth is of concern considering that he had sat in the 91-94 mph range, and maintained that velocity, in every start he made this year so far leading up to this one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 4:13 PM Post
If a player on another team’s 40-man is acquired through a trade, that player automatically is placed on the 40-man of the acquiring team, correct?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 4:31 PM Post
NYChez said:
If a player on another team’s 40-man is acquired through a trade, that player automatically is placed on the 40-man of the acquiring team, correct?

I think there is a week long time period or something like that where the acquiring team can decide what to do with him (trade him, waive him or put him on the 40 man). If the Mets 40 man roster was full, that would give them time to trade or waive somebody else to make room for the acquired player.

Nice to get something for Keon. It would take simultaneous multiple 2+ month long DL type stints among our top 4 OFs to actually miss Keon this year. Even then, the youngsters might be just as good. We have plenty of guys to fill in on a week-to-week basis.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
Well, well, looks like Felix Valerio is quite the interesting prospect.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... leri001fel

Walked more than he struck out, a good hit-for-average tool, and decent speed (16 SB in 22 attempts).

Then again, the Brewers also have a 5'7" 2B in the DSL, in Victor Vargas.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... rgas002vic

I had Vargas on my list for a superb walk rate (17 against 96 ABs), as well as a .300 average, and good speed (16 SB in 23 attempts).

Good thing the Brewers will have TWO Arizona league affiliates. [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 5:33 PM Post
I liked Broxton and thought he had value, but I didn't think he had this much value. I might have taken Wahl straight up for Broxton. Looks like Wahl used his first option in 2018 and has two remaining.

Hill has some upside. Hopefully he can make some mechanical adjustments to bring the walks down. His BB rate increased every year at South Carolina.

Jason Rogers - the 32nd round draft pick gift that keeps on giving.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 5:37 PM Post
colbyjack said:
Wahl I remember well when he pitched at Ole Miss as a big-bodied hurler, although it's not especially encouraging that a college arm hasn't made much of an impact in the big leagues at 26-27 years old.

Wahl has had multiple serious injuries, including thoracic outlet syndrome, which of course are not especially encouraging in their own right but at least help explain his lack of MLB experience.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
Seems like a good return for Crew. More pen arms and a promising young call option. Keon a good fit with that larger OF...defense a premium for Mets. Brewers can always shift Yelich to CF if needed and subs can play corners if Cain out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
From Beyond the Box score

Bobby Wahl led all AAA relievers in K%, K-BB%, and SwStr% last season

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 6:14 PM Post
Keon can look forward to getting a standing O in his return to Miller Park. Fans appreciated his enthusiasm and scaling-the-wall catches.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 6:26 PM Post
sveumrules said:
I guess the poster that assured us Broxton would make the 25 out of spring was correct...just for the Mets.

That was me. [ohwell]

But I'm pretty sure he will make the Mets 25 man!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 6:35 PM Post
NYChez said:
Keon can look forward to getting a standing O in his return to Miller Park. Fans appreciated his enthusiasm and scaling-the-wall catches.

To the masses at Miller Park I figure Broxton is more of a "oh yeah, that guy was a Brewer" (scattered polite applause) guy than a standing O guy.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Keon Broxton to Mets; Bobby Wahl, Adam Hill, Felix Valerio to Brewers

Posted: January 05, 2019, 6:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
Felix Valerio had the second most plate appearances (303) in the Dominican Summer League last season. He had the fourth lowest strikeout rate (6.9%) among all qualified hitters in league. His .843 OPS and 146 wRC+ was far better than any of the Brewers qualified DSL hitters last season. He’s a long shot, but had a very solid professional debut.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2019, 7:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Outlander said:
I guess that talk of Broxton having no value wasn't exactly true. Best of luck to him in NY.

Even though Gamel is more of a known quantity than any of these guys. I think you could pretty legitimately argue that the Broxton return was better than the Santana return.

Stearns said there was additional interest in Broxton beyond just the Mets. I don’t remember hearing similar sentiments when Domingo was moved. I obviously don’t know this for certain, but I wonder if the number teams engaged in trade discussions involving Broxton was actually higher than Santana.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 169 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply