LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewer Player Retrospective - Richie Sexson

Offline  Re: Brewer Player Retrospective - Richie Sexson

Posted: January 10, 2019, 12:47 PM Post
Cirilloing said:
Looking back, Richie Sexson's tenure with the Brewers would mark the beginning of my rabid following of the team. I didn't realize that we were still so bad as a team back then. I must have watched almost every game. I remember how excited we were to simply not have a losing season and go 82 and 82 that one year. I feel old..

I'm with ya. I was pretty avid follower forever, but I remember the exact night we finally won a game to guarantee a .500 record...I was in college and we celebrated it by getting a keg. Lol. Good times. Does make me feel pretty old though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 10:19 AM Post
03 was the year I really started my Brewers love. I remember being disappointed with the trade to Arizona, due in part to not really understanding at the time, how players' contracts worked. Scotty Po was my first fave, with Big Sexy a close 2nd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 2:27 AM Post
LouisEly said:
owbc said:
A few great memories come to mind:

1) HR to win opening night at Miller Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860gskwGZrU
2) The game at Arizona where Sexson and Burnitz both went deep 3 times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTbMnum99jk
3) The 450+ foot triple in Houston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uFSAzTld3Y

I remember that Houston shot. Is he the only player ever to hit that pole?

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I clicked on this thread. That absolute bomb to CF that was not a HR.

Like the OP stated, one of the few good reasons to go to a Brewers game back in the day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 8:14 AM Post
My fandom goes back to the mid 70s when I was really young. I can recall Hank Aaron as a Brewer, George Scott, the all star game at County Stadium. The Big Red Machine was in the other league and dynamite. That was a ridiculous lineup they had.

But, after Molly left (wasn’t it after the solid 1992 season), there was a good ten-twelve year period that were very dark days for me as a Brewer fan. I had no sense of hope so I decreased my Brewer interest to minimal levels. Richie was kind of at the tail end of that. But, really, my take on Richie was he fit the mold of a guy the franchise wanted so there was any kind of reason to see the team play. They weren’t going to win but the franchise was about having a star or two so the casual fans would come out for a day at the ballpark, while there was no concept of actual competing. Bud was obsessed with emphasizing that we had no shot. It wasn’t until the early 2000’s with that run of successful draftees, the new stadium, and Mark A coming on that I got rejuvenated.

I hope we never see that ten to twelve year useless, hopeless stage ever again.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply