LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 75  Next  [ 1500 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: May 22, 2019, 8:19 AM Post
The Brewers are approaching a chunk of the schedule that true blue's bullpenning/piggybacking/whatever would actually make sense. Over the next 23 days, we play 18 times. 5 offdays. We have enough guys with options that we can use Burnes/Peralta/Chase/Guerra as 2-3 inning relievers and have quick hooks on the rotation of Chacin/Davies/GG/Woodruff/Nelson(in no particular order)...that leaves Jeffress/Claudio/Hader for late innings or matchups(sorry Albers, in this scenario you're gone). Couple the guys we have with the cushion of 5 off days...it could work and work with a 5 man bench. That gives us plenty of hitters for pinch hitting...along with Woodruff of course when he's not starting.

We'll see if the Brewers are thinking something similar. This part of the schedule is a great opportunity to carve out a lot of wins. We don't face any top teams and lots of rest. If we belong in the playoffs, this is where we need to carve out a division lead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 1:45 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
The Brewers are approaching a chunk of the schedule that true blue's bullpenning/piggybacking/whatever would actually make sense. Over the next 23 days, we play 18 times. 5 offdays. We have enough guys with options that we can use Burnes/Peralta/Chase/Guerra as 2-3 inning relievers and have quick hooks on the rotation of Chacin/Davies/GG/Woodruff/Nelson(in no particular order)...that leaves Jeffress/Claudio/Hader for late innings or matchups(sorry Albers, in this scenario you're gone). Couple the guys we have with the cushion of 5 off days...it could work and work with a 5 man bench. That gives us plenty of hitters for pinch hitting...along with Woodruff of course when he's not starting.

We'll see if the Brewers are thinking something similar. This part of the schedule is a great opportunity to carve out a lot of wins. We don't face any top teams and lots of rest. If we belong in the playoffs, this is where we need to carve out a division lead.

After another terrible outing today, I think it's time to send Burnes down and work on getting it right. He has an 11ERA and just loses it mid inning. He's nowhere near what he was last year. Let him go down, not have the pressure of the big leagues, and work on his fastball location and his off speed stuff. I'm not so sure about Anderson out of the pen either. Early results have been awful: 5 games - 10 IPs - 11 hits - 5 ERs - 4 BBs - 3 HRs. We'll see soon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 2:05 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
KeithStone53151 said:

After another terrible outing today, I think it's time to send Burnes down and work on getting it right. He has an 11ERA and just loses it mid inning. He's nowhere near what he was last year. Let him go down, not have the pressure of the big leagues, and work on his fastball location and his off speed stuff. I'm not so sure about Anderson out of the pen either. Early results have been awful: 5 games - 10 IPs - 11 hits - 5 ERs - 4 BBs - 3 HRs. We'll see soon.

Pitching fine the way it is. Burnes can work out his minor location issues here not San Antonio. He’ll do great moving forward. Anderson is also a fantastic weapon to have pitching for us whether it’s in the rotation or the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 2:18 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Pitching fine the way it is. Burnes can work out his minor location issues here not San Antonio. He’ll do great moving forward. Anderson is also a fantastic weapon to have pitching for us whether it’s in the rotation or the bullpen.

There's almost no evidence to suggest this is true.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 2:29 PM Post
OnTheBlack said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Correct, it’s just an opinion, made with nothing but eyeballs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 3:32 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
OnTheBlack said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Correct, it’s just an opinion, made with nothing but eyeballs.

Chase didn't really pass the eye test as a reliever either.

Your bias toward Burnes is getting astounding, and I LOVE Burnes. But he clearly would be deserving of a trip to San Antonio. Performance-wise, he's been one of the worst pitchers in MLB in 2019. It goes beyond a "minor location issue."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 3:45 PM Post
adambr2 said:

Chase didn't really pass the eye test as a reliever either.

Your bias toward Burnes is getting astounding, and I LOVE Burnes. But he clearly would be deserving of a trip to San Antonio. Performance-wise, he's been one of the worst pitchers in MLB in 2019. It goes beyond a "minor location issue."

I think Anderson is a guy who profiles much better as a starter than a reliever. He just gives up too many HR's. You can deal with that as a starter if he's your #4 and he's not walking guys, but as a guy you're hoping is a big time weapon out of the pen, it just doesn't work.

As for Burnes, I think we all love Burnes. But at some point you have to try and get him right. He's hurting the team right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 4:15 PM Post
Come on, let’s go easy on the Chase non-love pitching out of the pen. His later appearances were better than his earlier, so I think just needed to get acclimated to pitching out of the pen. His k/9 bb/9 better out of the pen, FB a tick higher too. But I like chase as a pitcher period. Whether it’s in the rotation or the pen I don’t care.

We both like Burnes for probably the same reasons > potential/great stuff/bulldog mentality among other things, I just think he’s fine right where he’s at.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
Burnes needs to go to San Antonio for a decent stretch of time, in my opinion. Regardless of what he may say in postgame interviews, this cannot be good for his confidence and may be stunting any development he could be making. He is the least valuable pitcher in all of baseball as far as WAR goes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2019, 9:22 PM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
Burnes needs to go to San Antonio for a decent stretch of time, in my opinion. Regardless of what he may say in postgame interviews, this cannot be good for his confidence and may be stunting any development he could be making. He is the least valuable pitcher in all of baseball as far as WAR goes.

He's still good.... really good. Definitely not showing it now, but baseball is a great game of redemption. I think we'll see his 2018 self more as the season moves along..... just throws too hard with secondary stuff.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 8:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
We are now over 1/3rd through the season, so seems like a good time to check back in our pitching staff & how they stack up around the league.

Apr 20:

K9 9.34 (12th) BB9 3.94 (22nd) HR9 1.85 (28th)
ERA 5.21 (25th) FIP 5.07 (25th) xFIP 4.34 (17th)

What I said then: The only thing dreadful is a fluky high HR9 (which can happen over less than 200 team IP thus far) which is driving the poor ERA/FIP numbers.

I'd bet our ERA/FIP are closer to our current xFIP at season's end than their current levels.

May 9:

K9 9.33 (9th) BB9 3.66 (20th) HR9 1.51 (26th)
ERA 4.60 (21st) FIP 4.56 (21st) xFIP 4.14 (10th)

What I said then: So in just under three weeks our current ERA/FIP have almost caught up with our xFIP from April 20th, while our current xFIP has lowered to a top 10 mark on account of our gains in BB9/HR9 & other teams' losses in K9.

Interesting to note is that our ERA is currently underperforming our xFIP, while over the last three years it has been the exact opposite with our ERA outperforming our xFIP by an average of 0.30 per season. (3.94 ERA vs 4.24 xFIP, 2016-18)

Assuming DJ's pixie dust wasn't solely responsible for that, it could indicate that our pitching staff is due for even more positive regression than some of the surface level indicators say.

May 28:

K9 9.22 (9th) BB9 3.55 (19th) HR9 1.46 (24th)
ERA 4.34 (15th) FIP 4.56 (21st) xFIP 4.22 (11th)

So it only took about five weeks for our ERA to catch up with our xFIP from April 20.

Our FIP/xFIP also appear to be stabilizing, though the ERA continues to fall. If we can continue our three year trend of outperforming our xFIP we should have no problem getting the team ERA below 4.00 by year's end.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 8:20 AM Post
Barring catastrophic injuries, our Pitching staff to the deadline is pretty much set, outside of Nelson joining the rotation and One of Anderson Chacín Gio to the pen.

Rotation:

Woodruff > #1/Ace
Davies > #2
Anderson > #3
Gio > #4/5
Chacín > 4/5
Nelson > #2/3/4

Bullpen:

Houser > good 2 inning
Peralta > wild card

Albers > touching 95
Claudio > Loogy only!

Guerra > ridiculously underrated
Jeffress > fireman role important
Burnes > will totally dominate
Hader > could make our pen the best

Imo, this staff the next 2 months should with even just a modicum of offense and a more favorable schedule get us in position to lead the central and then dominate the last 2 months with deadline additions and September call-ups.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 8:31 AM Post
A lot can change over the next month or two, but I'm expecting a post-deadline staff to include a stud RH relief arm and possibly even another rotation arm for additions. I figure one of Peralta/Burnes/Albers get rotated out for a naildown reliever. Think Kirby Yates if the Padres make him available, or maybe Alex Colome.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 8:59 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
A lot can change over the next month or two, but I'm expecting a post-deadline staff to include a stud RH relief arm and possibly even another rotation arm for additions. I figure one of Peralta/Burnes/Albers get rotated out for a naildown reliever. Think Kirby Yates if the Padres make him available, or maybe Alex Colome.

Not sure we have the prospects or the desire to give up what it would cost to acquire those type of reliever, instead I believe if we don’t sign kimbrel, we have Rasmussen Sanchez that could help, or maybe we acquire a Soria type arm. I believe we go offense at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:03 AM Post
I don't think Yates is going anywhere. The Padres are going to be in the wild card hunt. Think Colome or Barraclough for pen help.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:16 AM Post
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:
I don't think Yates is going anywhere. The Padres are going to be in the wild card hunt. Think Colome or Barraclough for pen help.

No on the bear, pitching terrible.
Colome will be very expensive prospect wise and salary.

Just sign Kimbrel. Costs only $. and we’d get him for 2 1/2 years.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:25 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:

Colome is a rental. Free agent after this year, on a $7.325 million deal. Cost will likely not be astronomical because of this. He is pitching very well. Very similar situation to Soria last year, and acquiring him certainly didn't break the bank.

Regarding Kimbrel, I think that dead horse is beaten to a pulp by now, isn't it?

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on May 28, 2019, 9:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:40 AM Post
Thread Title: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Last time I checked, Kimbrell is still sitting on his couch and not on any staff let alone the Brewers.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:55 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:

$$ is the problem in signing Kimbrel. He reportedly hasn't backed off his demand of $15.5 per yr on minimum 3 yr. deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:

Colome is a rental. Free agent after this year, on a $7.325 million deal. Cost will likely not be astronomical because of this. He is pitching very well. Very similar situation to Soria last year, and acquiring him certainly didn't break the bank.

Regarding Kimbrel, I think that dead horse is beaten to a pulp by now, isn't it?

Colome is arby eligible in 2020 and a FA in 2021. He'd cost a lot more than Soria because he's better than Soria and still controllable (if the team wants to pay him) for another year.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 75  Next  [ 1500 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply