LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next  [ 1366 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff [Latest: Houser starting Wednesday]
Posted: June 24, 2019, 4:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
I guess I missed this (LINK) a few weeks ago, but it appears Brent Suter has been throwing bullpen sessions since May and is on pace for a return to the mound in late July or early August. I assume he would have a lengthy set of minor league rehab appearances, but it’s nice to know there is a possibility he could be throwing meaningful pitches for the big league club this season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 6:08 AM Post
I've missed the Raptor, I love watching that guy pitch. And hit. And field. And run. And act. Underrated by many. Before he was hurt in 2018 he was putting up solid numbers on "not-in-play" run estimators like xFIP (4.07) and SIERA (4.15) while combining that with the 10th lowest exit velocity in the majors (Though giving up a fair amount of hard hit balls still..), suggesting he was due some improvement. Hard to see him as more than a #4-5 at best, but I'm sure we'd all have liked having a solid lefty #4-5 around so far this year...

Last edited by Lathund on June 24, 2019, 6:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 6:09 AM Post
its pretty awesome to see Houser AND Hader provide meaningful innings. some of our "selling" in the past has really paid off

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 6:42 AM Post
willie key said:
trwi7 said:
willie key said:
Jimmy Nelson got paid for almost two years for basically not throwing a pitch in anger at the major league level. He also got hurt by diving into a base. That wasn’t the Brewers organizations fault. Just because he couldn’t do something that 6 year olds could do without being hurt for 18 months or whatever

Stephen A. Smith, Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless would be impressed by the hotness of this take.

People need to quit crying for jimmy Nelson like the world did him wrong. Nobody did. He got hurt. On a basic baseball play. Happens

So now the major league team is stuck with a guy the rest of the year when he doesn’t belong here. Yet. Might as well bring Wang back too

Nobody is crying for Nelson, I'm more annoyed by the poor roster management by the Brewers as noted by others. They could have sent him back down after the first outing or been a little more aggressive in getting his second start in sooner and then sending him down if he didn't make progress. The front office sure knew how close he was to five years, be better at roster management instead of asking a player to be optioned like a week after he gets his five years in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 6:08 PM Post
torts said:
its pretty awesome to see Houser AND Hader provide meaningful innings. some of our "selling" in the past has really paid off

Not to mention the goods to parlay into Moose and Gamel

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 6:58 AM Post
Outlander said:
Nobody is crying for Nelson, I'm more annoyed by the poor roster management by the Brewers as noted by others. They could have sent him back down after the first outing or been a little more aggressive in getting his second start in sooner and then sending him down if he didn't make progress. The front office sure knew how close he was to five years, be better at roster management instead of asking a player to be optioned like a week after he gets his five years in.

Basically, my thoughts.

I wouldn't have brought him up until he pitched a couple of games on normal rest versus the extra day he always got with SA. Would have also had him pitch at least to mid-90 pitch count in consecutive starts too. He only pitched one time over 87 pitches, his last outing. So they had no idea how he would react after pitching 97 that game.

Just curious how much of calling him up was - to keep a veteran happy versus the starting staff not really holding their own and looking for a bandaid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 7:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs article on Woodruff’s development and progression: Brandon Woodruff Rebuilt Himself as a Starter

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 8:16 AM Post
phnxcrew said:
Excellent! Rewarding some one throwing well. His stuff looks absolutely nasty in the few appearances I’ve seen. We’re due for a surprise guy coming up and dominating for awhile after all the immense failures.

Agree.
If Houser pitches as well in the rotation, as he has in the pen, it eliminates the overwhelming need to trade for a quality starter, and decimate our farm system. This is big. I also think Wilkerson is a possibility at some point to start. With his command of his mix of pitches, I believe, if given a real shot, he can pitch deep into games, like he did in AAA.

The pen is potentially weakened without Houser, but let’s see what Nelson, Wilkerson and Peralta do, and how they decide to deploy the 3. I’m fascinated to see.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 9:17 AM Post
Eye Black said:
FanGraphs article on Woodruff’s development and progression: Brandon Woodruff Rebuilt Himself as a Starter

Nice read, thanks for posting that. I know a lot guys thought Woodruff's stuff would play better in the bullpen but he has developed the multi pitch mix that makes him still tough pitching into the 6th and 7th. I wonder if Grandall has helped him there, I remember during a game they were quoting Grandall from early in the season that Woodruff was close but needed to get the right mix on his pitches.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
I thought I saw he actually hit 100 his last time out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 12:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
From Adam McCalvy's most recent Brewers.com Inbox article in regards to Brent Suter...

Brent Suter is five weeks shy of one year since undergoing Tommy John surgery. Here’s the answer straight from Suter:

I’m throwing bullpens three times a week and I’m feeling great,” Suter said. “I’ll face hitters in three weeks and then I’ll be in rehab mode shortly after that.”

So, good news there. Suter has a chance to help the Brewers in late August or September.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff [Latest: Houser starting Wednesday]
Posted: June 25, 2019, 1:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
I realize it's asking a lot for a guy to come back from TJ and contribute the next season but Suter's sort of a unique breed in that he doesn't rely on velocity at all so I wonder if he can pick up right where he left off?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 2:19 PM Post
homer said:
I realize it's asking a lot for a guy to come back from TJ and contribute the next season but Suter's sort of a unique breed in that he doesn't rely on velocity at all so I wonder if he can pick up right where he left off?

He does rely on location and that may take a bit to come back or to get a feel for it. I don't expect him to be back until next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 3:58 PM Post
homer said:

I'm by no means an expert but I'm not sure velocity is all the relative to stress on the arm. Even with perfect mechanics I could throw at maximum effort and it isn't coming anywhere near 80 mph. Yet I'm pretty sure I'd put as much stress on my arm as someone who threw 100. The motions are the same even if the velocity isn't.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 8:10 PM Post
Good god I hope we aren’t relying on Suter for a playoff push

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 8:11 PM Post
Tired of watching this rotation. Blow it up and start over. Ridiculous.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff [Latest: Houser starting Wednesday]
Posted: June 25, 2019, 8:23 PM Post
The biggest setback was the inability of Corbin to pitch in the Rotation and the setback of Chacin .

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: June 26, 2019, 6:34 AM Post
So when does Chris Hook take the blame for the complete implosion of the pitching staff. We have most of the same staff as last season and nearly every pitcher is worse and many of them significantly worse than last season. I would fire him alone for how badly Burnes who has top of the rotation stuff has regressed.

I am sure there will be plenty of people who say that the pitching coach means little to nothing and that our pitchers have just been unlucky or some nonsense. The truth is the biggest loss this team suffered was Derek Johnson leaving and being replaced by a guy that seems truly incompetent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 6:48 AM Post
brewers888 said:
So when does Chris Hook take the blame for the complete implosion of the pitching staff. We have most of the same staff as last season and nearly every pitcher is worse and many of them significantly worse than last season. I would fire him alone for how badly Burnes who has top of the rotation stuff has regressed.

I am sure there will be plenty of people who say that the pitching coach means little to nothing and that our pitchers have just been unlucky or some nonsense. The truth is the biggest loss this team suffered was Derek Johnson leaving and being replaced by a guy that seems truly incompetent.

Both the players and management like the job Hook is doing, and that’s good enough for me.

According to sources, McCalvy earlier in the year, said Hooks strength is mechanics and DJ pitch sequencing.

Woodruff Houser Guerra have taken giant steps forward, in Guerra’s case he developed a plus curve since last year, with Hooks help.

Just trying to be fair here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 6:50 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
brewers888 said:

Both the players and management like the job Hook is doing, and that’s good enough for me.

According to sources, McCalvy earlier in the year, said Hooks strength is mechanics and DJ pitch sequencing.

Woodruff Houser Guerra have taken giant steps forward, in Guerra’s case he developed a plus curve since last year, with Hooks help.

Just trying to be fair here.

If management likes the job that Hook has done they really aren't very smart.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next  [ 1366 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply