LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next  [ 1347 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: June 26, 2019, 7:00 AM Post
Guerra has not at all taken a giant step forward. Woodruff has done a great job, but there is still a lot of room for progression. He has not taken that giant step forward yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Guerra has not at all taken a giant step forward. Woodruff has done a great job, but there is still a lot of room for progression. He has not taken that giant step forward yet.

Ok, Guerra’s a better pitcher this year, because of the curve, is what I should have said.

Woodruff has added velo, imo, thru better mechanics. He has room to improve and will.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:06 AM Post
Meanwhile, we're almost halfway through the year and Cin has a 3.6 ERA for 3rd best in all of MLB after having a garbage staff last year. It's tough to blame anyone for this as we have no idea on the negotiations and whatever personal situations that mattered to him. But let's just say it should be clear that it was a loss for the team instead of stomping our feet and arguing that pitching coaches don't matter.

Personally, when you're spending 130mil on the roster one would think just paying whatever was needed to keep him would've been a drop in the bucket, but again we just don't know what the story is on it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:13 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Meanwhile, we're almost halfway through the year and Cin has a 3.6 ERA for 3rd best in all of MLB after having a garbage staff last year. It's tough to blame anyone for this as we have no idea on the negotiations and whatever personal situations that mattered to him. But let's just say it should be clear that it was a loss for the team instead of stomping our feet and arguing that pitching coaches don't matter.

Personally, when you're spending 130mil on the roster one would think just paying whatever was needed to keep him would've been a drop in the bucket, but again we just don't know what the story is on it.

Exactly. Who knows what his motivations were besides money? By all appearances it sucks for the Brewers, but I can't help but wish Johnson nothing but the best.

While we're on the subject of coaches, the inconsistent offensive showing this season has made me somewhat rethink Darnell Coles's time as the hitting coach. Perhaps the lack of disciplined at-bats is more on the hitters and less on the coach?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:22 AM Post
My take would be that Pitching coaches matter way more than Hitting coaches. And I think I could probably even get behind an opinion that really only the truly top notch pitching coaches matter or make a significant difference (rather than marginal). Think your Dave Duncans and the old ATL coach, looks like a real possibility DJ is one of those types of guys.

Seems like on hitting really all they can do is some marginal differences, and I'd say that's all we've gotten this year from the change. Generally I like the approaches better. More oppo for some, seems like better RISP results (off eye test, haven't looked up stats). Overall results are jsut better, but of course helped by Moose/Grandal over blackholes at those spots last year.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on June 26, 2019, 8:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:39 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
But let's just say it should be clear that it was a loss for the team instead of stomping our feet and arguing that pitching coaches don't matter.

If we had a LIKE button, this would have gotten a giant LIKE from me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:44 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:

Exactly. Who knows what his motivations were besides money? By all appearances it sucks for the Brewers, but I can't help but wish Johnson nothing but the best.

While we're on the subject of coaches, the inconsistent offensive showing this season has made me somewhat rethink Darnell Coles's time as the hitting coach. Perhaps the lack of disciplined at-bats is more on the hitters and less on the coach?

How so? The offense has scored almost 60 runs more than they had at this time last year. They are averaging 4.97 runs per game, compared to 4.62 runs per game total for 2018.

In terms of inconsistency, the 2018 offense at this point in the season, for one example, had been held to 2 or less runs in 27 games. That has happened only 14 times this season.

Seems like this season's offense, compared to last year, has been much more consistent and productive than 2018. Given the unforseen and extreme struggles of Aguilar, Shaw and Cain, I think the 2019 offense has done a great job.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 8:52 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:

How so? The offense has scored almost 60 runs more than they had at this time last year. They are averaging 4.97 runs per game, compared to 4.62 runs per game total for 2018.

In terms of inconsistency, the 2018 offense at this point in the season, for one example, had been held to 2 or less runs in 27 games. That has happened only 14 times this season.

Seems like this season's offense, compared to last year, has been much more consistent and productive than 2018. Given the unforseen and extreme struggles of Aguilar, Shaw and Cain, I think the 2019 offense has done a great job.

I guess I was referring more to the individual regressions of Aguilar, Shaw and to a lesser extent, Cain. Those guys have put a lot of really subpar at-bats on film this year. I agree that overall, the offense hasn't been a huge issue, but having a few guys that they counted on to be run producers not hitting has certainly kept them from reaching their full offensive potential.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
My take would be that Pitching coaches matter way more than Hitting coaches. And I think I could probably even get behind an opinion that really only the truly top notch pitching coaches matter or make a significant difference (rather than marginal). Think your Dave Duncans and the old ATL coach, looks like a real possibility DJ is one of those types of guys.

Seems like on hitting really all they can do is some marginal differences, and I'd say that's all we've gotten this year from the change. Generally I like the approaches better. More oppo for some, seems like better RISP results (off eye test, haven't looked up stats). Overall results are jsut better, but of course helped by Moose/Grandal over blackholes at those spots last year.

By that old pitching coach form ATL I assume you mean Leo Mazzone. He was hired by Baltimore where he took a nothing staff and made them, well, nothing. He lasted two years then was fired with a year left on his contract. While I agree pitching coaches matter I don't think any of them are miracle workers. The circumstances they're in appears to matter almost as much as the person themselves. That said I haven't seen anything that makes me think Hook is adding anything to the staff.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 3:22 PM Post
“I think I just need to go back to my mentality I had before, being aggressive, controlling the game myself,” Davies said. “And not being passive. That’s the biggest change I see in myself right now. It happens to everybody. There are times where you’re going to doubt yourself, where you think that somebody else knows what’s best for you and you don’t rely on yourself.

“That’s not pointing fingers. It’s just, you’re lost a little bit and you think somebody else can help you instead of just looking at yourself and knowing that’s the person who is going to change it.”

Sounds like Davies is talking about not buying pitching coach suggestions.............

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
adambr2 said:

Ok, Guerra’s a better pitcher this year, because of the curve, is what I should have said.

Woodruff has added velo, imo, thru better mechanics. He has room to improve and will.

Guerra is about the same as he was last year once he was demoted to the pen. His big numbers came mostly as a starter. He controls the curve better, but he has lost feel for the splitter. One replaces the other.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 6:14 PM Post
ecjimg said:
“I think I just need to go back to my mentality I had before, being aggressive, controlling the game myself,” Davies said. “And not being passive. That’s the biggest change I see in myself right now. It happens to everybody. There are times where you’re going to doubt yourself, where you think that somebody else knows what’s best for you and you don’t rely on yourself.

“That’s not pointing fingers. It’s just, you’re lost a little bit and you think somebody else can help you instead of just looking at yourself and knowing that’s the person who is going to change it.”

Sounds like Davies is talking about not buying pitching coach suggestions.............

Could be grandal as well.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 6:48 PM Post
Methinks Hook gets the hook at the end of the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
This team badly needs a healthy Gio Gonzalez back on the hill. I'd don't know if there would be any statistical evidence to back this...there probably isn't...but it just seemed like this pitching staff was better when he was healthy and part of the rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
jjgott said:
Methinks Hook gets the hook at the end of the season.

That would be too late to save this season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2019, 6:39 AM Post
With the news on Gio suffering a set-back, and the state of the rotation being poor to put it mildly, I think it’s time to stretch Burnes and Peralta in AAA, then put em in the rotation and just let em pitch. Use an opener for Peralta, if he continues his first inning issues. Keep Houser in the rotation and let him pitch. Chacín and Anderson to the pen. If we’re going to have a volatile rotation, it might as well be with the future in mind, and who knows, maybe one or two of em will surprise us by pitching well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2019, 6:54 AM Post
adambr2 said:

On the whole - I think if you account for Grandal and the juiced ball, the offense doesn't look better than last year. I would say pretty similar.

And the struggles of Aguilar, Shaw and Cain all fall under the umbrella of the hitting coach, right? Unless they are not hitting because of an injury.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2019, 6:40 AM Post
Love CC’s comments regarding Houser Peralta and Chacín. Glad he’s gonna give Houser a real opportunity to start and not back to the pen because he had a poor start. And singling out Chacín to pitch better and saying Peralta back in the mix to start, tells me unless Chacín pitches well tonight, it’s to the pen for him, with Peralta taking his spot in the rotation.

Peralta has taken a step forward with his command, and in my imo, should replace Chacín in the rotation. Now if only they would stretch Burnes and let him pitch down below, and if he can improve his FB command, give him another opportunity to start.

Even without another opportunity for Burnes to start again, to me, I have real optimism that the rotation will improve substantially moving forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2019, 4:13 PM Post
I want
Woodruff
Davies
Anderson
Houser
Wilkerson

In the rotation right now. Waiting on Gio.

Hader Jeffress Peralta is the top trio
Guerra Albers is next
Claudio (unless LHB, then he's good) Chacin (trying to embrace his inner Guerra)
Burch Smith as our garbage man.

Corbin has no business being in the pen. He's hasn't been good on the MLB level and he needs to be starting in AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2019, 5:10 PM Post
Sorry but a rotation of Wilkerson and Houser means we are fighting for 3rd and selling off.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next  [ 1347 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply