LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next  [ 1483 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: August 22, 2019, 1:58 PM Post
Still going to be tough for the Brewers to offer arbitration with the question marks remaining. Probably still a non tender candidate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 22, 2019, 2:00 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jimmy Nelson's line from his AAA rehab appearance today against the Iowa Cubs: 3 IP, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

So ... that's promising. I know a lot of members here have written off Nelson. I'm not ready to do that. The guy is just too hard of a worker. If there is one guy in this organization that would be capable of reinventing himself as a totally different pitcher, and still be able to make it work, it's him.

Well there’s our “Ace” bullpen arm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 22, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jimmy Nelson's line from his AAA rehab appearance today against the Iowa Cubs: 3 IP, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

So ... that's promising. I know a lot of members here have written off Nelson. I'm not ready to do that. The guy is just too hard of a worker. If there is one guy in this organization that would be capable of reinventing himself as a totally different pitcher, and still be able to make it work, it's him.

That would be fantastic. But perhaps we should let him appear in an actual MLB game again before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: August 22, 2019, 2:11 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

You know it's ok to have tempered optimism, right?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 22, 2019, 2:26 PM Post
Didn’t see the game, but, assuming he must be getting his breaking pitches over now, which imo, is key to his potential dominance out of the pen. This is big.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 22, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Didn’t see the game, but, assuming he must be getting his breaking pitches over now, which imo, is key to his potential dominance out of the pen. This is big.

You said the same thing before the season started. He was going to start opening day, be the ace, his breaking stuff is better then ever. Really is astounding you haven't learned from that, but I guess I've learned there is no middle ground with you. When you play poker, do you either fold immediately or go all in on every hand?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 22, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Brew crew 92 said:

You said the same thing before the season started. He was going to start opening day, be the ace, his breaking stuff is better then ever. Really is astounding you haven't learned from that, but I guess I've learned there is no middle ground with you. When you play poker, do you either fold immediately or go all in on every hand?

Yes I did say that, he couldn’t throw his breaking stuff for strikes the first go round, by the stats the last 5 outings, looks like that’s remedied.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 7:45 AM Post
Am I the only one that sees an expanded role down the stretch for Jay Jackson? His peripheral stats are really quite good and unlike Albers and Guerra who at times struggle to put hitters away, Jackson has a nasty slider that gets swings and misses. I think he's settled in and his confidence is growing. Even though the lead was 6, it was nice to see him used in something other than mopup duty. Instead of Counsell just automatically going to the vets who've been up and down all year, he has options in Williams and Jackson that are pretty decent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 8:01 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Am I the only one that sees an expanded role down the stretch for Jay Jackson? His peripheral stats are really quite good and unlike Albers and Guerra who at times struggle to put hitters away, Jackson has a nasty slider that gets swings and misses. I think he's settled in and his confidence is growing. Even though the lead was 6, it was nice to see him used in something other than mopup duty. Instead of Counsell just automatically going to the vets who've been up and down all year, he has options in Williams and Jackson that are pretty decent.

Exactly, we’ll said.

Then in a week add Nelson Peralta Suter Black, And suddenly we massive depth. Regarding Jackson, with that nasty slider, huge weapon to have vs right handed batters.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 12:23 PM Post
Goodbye, Jhoulys. Just wasn’t his year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 12:47 PM Post
I have not written Nelson off, I have just lost all faith. I want nothing more than to have him back in the fold, doing something productive to help this team.

If he adds anything, I'll be as happy as anyone, I just am no longer counting on it ever happening.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Yes I did say that, he couldn’t throw his breaking stuff for strikes the first go round, by the stats the last 5 outings, looks like that’s remedied.

It’s also AAA; maybe he can gets swings and misses on his breaking pitches in the minor leagues that major leaguer hitters won’t swing at.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2019, 1:56 PM Post
He couldn’t get his breaking stuff over at all the first go round, so very few batters even swung, and it was frustrating to watch, because his stuff is quite devastating, and if he has control of it, he will get lots of Ks, like he is down below right now. 10+ innings > 20+ Ks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 25, 2019, 9:13 AM Post
Jeffress to the IL with a strained hip. Ray Black recalled.

Figured something was up with JJ. He was pitching very well before his blow-up outing against the Cardinals last week, then had a tough luck outing on Friday. Velocity was good, but his breaking pitches weren't dancing like they should. Hopefully he has this break then can come back in September reinvigorated for the stretch run. Him finding "Good JJ" would be a huge boon to this team's playoff chances.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:11 AM Post
Just how good can this bullpen get these last 24 games? I’m not counting on the offense getting hot, other than Yelich, so, imo, the answer to that question will determine whether we’re in the playoffs or not.

The Good:
Hader Pomeranz Claudio Guerra

Probably Good:
Suter Peralta Jackson

Could be good:
Nelson Albers Black

Wild Cards:
T Williams Burnes Faria

That’s 7 pretty good options to pitch. Not enough imo, with 3 in rotation that are non-dominant, and no breathing room for losses, CC will pull Anderson Davies Gio at the first signs of trouble, if he has enough arms. We need 10 that can be counted on to pitch well to overcome our frosty offense. So that’s 3 of Black Nelson Albers T Williams Faria Burnes.

Now if only our offense can get warm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 04, 2019, 6:32 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Just how good can this bullpen get these last 24 games? I’m not counting on the offense getting hot, other than Yelich, so, imo, the answer to that question will determine whether we’re in the playoffs or not.

The Good:
Hader Pomeranz Claudio Guerra

Probably Good:
Suter Peralta Jackson

Could be good:
Nelson Albers Black

Wild Cards:
T Williams Burnes Faria

That’s 7 pretty good options to pitch. Not enough imo, with 3 in rotation that are non-dominant, and no breathing room for losses, CC will pull Anderson Davies Gio at the first signs of trouble, if he has enough arms. We need 10 that can be counted on to pitch well to overcome our frosty offense. So that’s 3 of Black Nelson Albers T Williams Faria Burnes.

Now if only our offense can get warm.

I think I would put Jackson in the good catagory. Since July 14 when he came back up: 18 IPs - 6 ERs (3 in one game) - 7 BBs - 30 Ks. He has done well in all type of situations. I would say Burnes and T. Williams are about as wild as a wild card could be. Faria has shown nothing in a small sample with the Crew. If Black could ever control his FB he could be outstanding. Let's hope Nelson has regained his FB and is a lot better than the first time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 06, 2019, 5:42 AM Post
After last nights loss vs Cubbies, we have a better idea where this bullpen stands.

The Good:
Guerra Hader Pomeranz Claudio

Probably Good:
Peralta Suter Jackson

Wild card:
Black Nelson

Bad:
Albers Faria Burnes T Williams

I said this team needs 10 Pen arms to be able to count on this Month to shut teams down, and right now we’re at least 3 short of that. Albers without command is awful, he’s a big loss to the pen. Nelson looked ok, not as sharp as I was hoping for, but he hadn’t pitched in a week. I’ll give him another opportunity. Jackson is great vs RH batters, bad vs Lefties, so he should not Pitch vs Cubbies unless mop up. The major issue that I see: other than Suter, there’s not another quality arm that can give the team 3 innings. We’ll potentially have that when Woodruff is back, but it might be too late.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 06, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
After last nights loss vs Cubbies, we have a better idea where this bullpen stands.

The Good:

Probably Good:
Peralta Suter Jackson

Wild card:
Black Nelson

Bad:

I said this team needs 10 Pen arms to be able to count on this Month to shut teams down, and right now we’re at least 3 short of that. Albers without command is awful, he’s a big loss to the pen. Nelson looked ok, not as sharp as I was hoping for, but he hadn’t pitched in a week. I’ll give him another opportunity. Jackson is great vs RH batters, bad vs Lefties, so he should not Pitch vs Cubbies unless mop up. The major issue that I see: other than Suter, there’s not another quality arm that can give the team 3 innings. We’ll potentially have that when Woodruff is back, but it might be too late.

Peralta "probably good"???????????????????????????????? You realize that he has a 12.96 ERA, 2.64 WHIP in his last 9 appearances? Counsell has only used him 1 time in the last 20 days.

But at least you've finally demoted Burnes from "MLB high leverage use only" to "bad."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 06, 2019, 8:05 AM Post
JosephC said:
Brew crew 92 said:

The Good:

Probably Good:
Peralta Suter Jackson

Wild card:
Black Nelson

Bad:

Peralta "probably good"???????????????????????????????? You realize that he has a 12.96 ERA, 2.64 WHIP in his last 9 appearances? Counsell has only used him 1 time in the last 20 days.

But at least you've finally demoted Burnes from "MLB high leverage use only" to "bad."

Peralta pitched great in high leverage vs the Astros, and fantastic in AAA before that, so I believe CC has confidence in him again. So your 42 question marks are probably overdoing it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 06, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
JosephC said:
Brew crew 92 said:

The Good:

Probably Good:
Peralta Suter Jackson

Wild card:
Black Nelson

Bad:

You realize this all game by game sweeping comical level hot take overreactions don't you? Peralta: Demoted to AAA because he was so bad, comes back up and throws 8 pitches and now he's "Good". If you don't see it you're wrong as its a 'no brainer', then 4 days later it changes.

IMO: Burnes should be listed as Good too. I read an article he went to the lab and now he's got it all figured out. High leverage ACE reliever now!!!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next  [ 1483 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply