LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next  [ 1483 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: September 09, 2019, 7:25 AM Post
Pugger said:
Any idea on when Woody will be back?

Latest word I heard was he’s feeling healthy now, but needs more work throwing bullpens, he’s not happy with his pitching/pitches, guessing sometime on the next homestand.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: September 09, 2019, 7:27 AM Post
brewmann04 said:
I think we won't be seeing Nelson, but lets hope the Bullpen can perform at a high pace during the last 20 games.

Yeah, you can't walk someone up five runs in the 9th. I would rather you groove a 80MPH fastball than do that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 09, 2019, 7:37 AM Post
Roderick said:
brewmann04 said:
I think we won't be seeing Nelson, but lets hope the Bullpen can perform at a high pace during the last 20 games.

Yeah, you can't walk someone up five runs in the 9th. I would rather you groove a 80MPH fastball than do that.

He looked pretty good his first time out last week, but obviously struggled yesterday. The stuff is better, but the command is still iffy. I think we'll see him again, but it's going to be mop-up roles with very short hooks.

But our pen arms coming in with leads and proceeding to walk guys is not a new development. They've been doing it all year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 5:59 AM Post
Lights out:
Hader

Solid:
Pomeranz Suter Guerra Claudio

The rest:
Black Jackson Peralta Albers D Williams Faria Nelson T Williams Burnes

Lots of good potential in “the rest”, at least, 1 or maybe 2 can pitch consistently enough at some point to give us 6 solid options plus Hader on a nightly basis. Then add 3-4 dominant innings from Woodruff and we have a staff that can rival last year’s playoff pen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 8:00 AM Post
I think what should be obvious by how you move these people around on a day by day basis is that it lays out exactly what pretty much all of their problems is, consistency. All these guys you get a fascination with after one or two outings are all capable of doing well on any given day, it's not like they don't have 'stuff' so to speak. But they're also liable to get blown up way too often and you have no idea when it's gonna happen.

Peralta for example a mere two days ago you had in the Good category and when called out on it you said something like "what everyone else calls reactionary, I call obvious". Two days later, Peralta shows his inconsistency like he has his whole career and now he's just a guy too. I think we'd all say this obviously reactionary.

Due to the inconsistency of everyone. I'd toss out that maybe something CC could do is yank earlier when someone shows cracks. Take some of Albers bad games recently or Freddy last night, he probably could've pulled the plug sooner. Still, i know that's tough as you still have to cover so many innings every night because starters don't go deep. So sometime you just have to grit your teeth and hope for the best.

Sorry, there is no chance of this pen coming close to last years. I appreciate the positivity these days as you've somehow flipped from the most negative person on here in ripping the owner, GM, Manager and calling for all their heads to acting like this team is a WS contender in the span of 3 weeks. But there is no way this comes anywhere close to having Hader, JJ, Knebel, Burnes, Wood, Soria last year. Not even close. There was 4 guys there where when they came in you didn't expect the ball to get touched. Then Woody came on big time right at the end too and was like that as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I think what should be obvious by how you move these people around on a day by day basis is that it lays out exactly what pretty much all of their problems is, consistency. All these guys you get a fascination with after one or two outings are all capable of doing well on any given day, it's not like they don't have 'stuff' so to speak. But they're also liable to get blown up way too often and you have no idea when it's gonna happen.

Peralta for example a mere two days ago you had in the Good category and when called out on it you said something like "what everyone else calls reactionary, I call obvious". Two days later, Peralta shows his inconsistency like he has his whole career and now he's just a guy too. I think we'd all say this obviously reactionary.

Due to the inconsistency of everyone. I'd toss out that maybe something CC could do is yank earlier when someone shows cracks. Take some of Albers bad games recently or Freddy last night, he probably could've pulled the plug sooner. Still, i know that's tough as you still have to cover so many innings every night because starters don't go deep. So sometime you just have to grit your teeth and hope for the best.

Sorry, there is no chance of this pen coming close to last years. I appreciate the positivity these days as you've somehow flipped from the most negative person on here in ripping the owner, GM, Manager and calling for all their heads to acting like this team is a WS contender in the span of 3 weeks. But there is no way this comes anywhere close to having Hader, JJ, Knebel, Burnes, Wood, Soria last year. Not even close. There was 4 guys there where when they came in you didn't expect the ball to get touched. Then Woody came on big time right at the end too and was like that as well.

I would argue potentially not as much separation as you think. Remember Jeffress was abysmal in the playoffs. Soria nothing special either in the playoffs. The separation is Burnes Knebel.

While we don’t have a Knebel dominant pitcher right now, we could have one emerge that at least has the stuff of Knebel in Black, and I would argue we can play matchup better with 3 good lefties beside Hader. Even Jackson as a Roogy. Let’s see what happens moving forward, before we say not close to last year’s pen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
Well I didn't say playoffs. I was referring to specifically late last season as in the stage we're in now. It's drastically different than what we had last year. You had 3 lights out back end guys combined with two multi inning lights out guys. Plus Soria who would be our 2nd best guy this year. Also Guira had transitioned well to the pen at the end of last year. This just shows again your overreaction to small samples, JJ had a couple bad outings to end it so that means he didn't have like a 1.2 ERA on the year. Soria was the definition of average/fine/mediocre yet you're ripping him while trying to act like the guys this year who are best case in the same class as him, and many clearly worse are actually good. I honestly have no idea how anyone can think it's close.

You of course ignore the real substance of the post in the first regarding the inconsistency of this years guys though and your massive overreactions game to game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 1:48 PM Post
Milwaukee Brewers
@Brewers
RHP Devin Williams has been recalled from Double-A Biloxi.

Active roster is now at 36 players. The only player on the 40-man roster who is healthy and not active is Trey Supak. Tyler Saladino ended the AAA season on the 7-day IL, and the only reason I can figure that they haven't activated and DFA'd him is he must be close to being healthy enough to return. Of course Woodruff and Hiura are in the MLB 10-day IL. Roster will likely be at 38 players once they return.

Supersized bullpens are fun! "You get an inning, you get an inning, everyone gets an inning!"

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 3:25 PM Post
Some positive news:

Houser's fastball has been missing bats at the same rate as Verlander's and has been better than Clevinger and Lynn.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/five ... e-success/

Take this for whatever it is worth the sample size is probably to small.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
Wade Miley's last two starts

0.1 IP, 12 H, 12 ER, 2 BB, 0 K

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2019, 8:38 PM Post
Miley just coming back to ground. I really hope they can get some starters go more 4 Innings even with the full bullpen. Next year they won't be able to do that when the numbers are down.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 8:28 AM Post
@AdamMcCalvy

1m
David Stearns on Brandon Woodruff, who threw to hitters yesterday: “Very pleased with how he felt after the outing, how his stuff looked. So I think the expectation now is sometime within the next week, we should be able to see Brandon Woodruff in a Major League game."

Good news, and would be a huge addition for the last couple weeks of the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
@AdamMcCalvy

1m
David Stearns on Brandon Woodruff, who threw to hitters yesterday: “Very pleased with how he felt after the outing, how his stuff looked. So I think the expectation now is sometime within the next week, we should be able to see Brandon Woodruff in a Major League game."

Good news, and would be a huge addition for the last couple weeks of the season.

Hope they start him, gradually stretch to 90+ pitches by the playoffs. Really big addition, wow, he’s been missed. Now let’s clinch this thing, and get Burnes pitching.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
Yea it would be nice to get a good lead in a game and let Burnes get his feet wet. Get 2-3 outings of that nature out of the way and see how he does.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
I was putzing on statcast and looking at Davies yesterday before the game. One thing that stuck out to me, the spin rate on all his pitches has steadily decreased throughout the year. And as it's decreased, his whiff rate has also decreased. Oddly, his fastball velocity has gone slightly up...but I'm starting to think either Davies is physically wearing down from the long season...or he's dealing with a minor injury...or both. Regardless...he's not the same pitcher from the first half. I'd like to see Woodruff take his spot in the rotation when he comes back. I understand he'll be on a limited pitch count...maybe have Suter piggyback with him to get 6-7 innings total. But I think Davies should probably be shut down for the year...I wouldn't even include him on a potential postseason roster at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 9:36 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I was putzing on statcast and looking at Davies yesterday before the game. One thing that stuck out to me, the spin rate on all his pitches has steadily decreased throughout the year. And as it's decreased, his whiff rate has also decreased. Oddly, his fastball velocity has gone slightly up...but I'm starting to think either Davies is physically wearing down from the long season...or he's dealing with a minor injury...or both. Regardless...he's not the same pitcher from the first half. I'd like to see Woodruff take his spot in the rotation when he comes back. I understand he'll be on a limited pitch count...maybe have Suter piggyback with him to get 6-7 innings total. But I think Davies should probably be shut down for the year...I wouldn't even include him on a potential postseason roster at this point.

That is going to depend on if Woodruff is built up to the point where he can throw 80 pitches. If he is, you probably slot him into a playoff rotation with Houser, Lyles and one of Gio/Anderson/Davies. If Woody isn't starting, though, then things get dicier. Davies provides potential value as a guy that can come in and pitch multiple innings out of the pen as well. In the end, it might come down to including him or someone like Jay Jackson on a playoff roster.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 6:53 PM Post
This teams much maligned pen today:

5 IP 0 H 0 BB 10 K’s

Thing of beauty ^^.

Underrated and Underappreciated.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

5 IP 0 H 0 BB 10 K’s

Thing of beauty ^^.

In other words:

Good:>

Bullpen>>

Bad>>>

Nobody

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 13, 2019, 5:55 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Brew crew 92 said:

5 IP 0 H 0 BB 10 K’s

Thing of beauty ^^.

In other words:

Good:>

Bullpen>>

Bad>>>

Nobody

Sure, that would be correct in describing yesterday’s bullpen. Although I might have used the adjective great or dominant to better reflect what we saw.

Just hoping to hear less, “this pen sucks” out of ignorant posters would be welcomed. It’s ok to say inconsistent still, although another couple of mostly shut down pen games should put an end to that talk too. So here’s to hoping for that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 13, 2019, 6:00 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Just hoping to hear less, “this pen sucks” out of ignorant posters would be welcomed. It’s ok to say inconsistent still, although another couple of mostly shut down pen games should put an end to that talk too. So here’s to hoping for that.

Maybe if you do less of your schtick... oh, never mind. Just keep trying to call out other posters. It's more comical that way.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next  [ 1483 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply