LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 67  Next  [ 1328 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Brewers' pitching staff

Offline  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: April 09, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
The entire rotation has looked pretty bad at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Chase ends up back in the mix at some point. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them panic and add Keuchel.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Brewers' pitching staff
Posted: April 09, 2019, 10:02 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
So about that Freddy Peralta...

Hopefully the dogs have been called off at least temporarily.

Young pitchers are frustrating. Very, very frustrating.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2019, 11:18 PM Post
I trust Stearns, I really do. But the Brewers pitching staff as a whole has allowed on average almost 6 runs a game and that's not including what may or may not happen the rest of this game tonight. I don't understand how he can possibly not see this as a glaring need. I understand that if any team loses a Jeffress and Knebel that it will hurt, but the reality is that there's nobody outside Hader and Claudio that I feel even somewhat comfortable putting in a game from the bullpen.

From the rotation, Freddy is going to be lights out or get lit up, Burnes is about the same. I understand there will be bumps in the road with young pitchers, but the pitching staff as a whole is a real problem in my eyes right now and I can't imagine that Stearns is blind to that. I would hope not.

Can't expect to win every game 9-7.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 12:18 AM Post
Color me concerned.

The young kids are going to have some bumps in the road as they mature into full time Major League starters. With a good bullpen, that's at least weatherable. But this bullpen, overall, is not good.

We're giving up too many walks, of late. 11 the last two games to a bunch of Angels hitters who, outside of Trout, don't have much plate discipline.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 5:21 AM Post
Ennder said:
The entire rotation has looked pretty bad at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Chase ends up back in the mix at some point. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them panic and add Keuchel.

I told people before the season Chase Anderson could/would outperform at least one of these guys in the rotation. One of these guys is going to be an absolute dud in the rotation...just not good odds you start that many young guys and one doesn't just blow. HRs or not Anderson could be solid with a lot less varying results.

I think even the Brewers knew that going into the season. They have Anderson waiting around and then they have Nelson eventually ready....probably around the start of May. They probably started them all in the rotation to get an idea of who was going to sink or swim. Not sure if they will get more than a month to figure it out, but I can almost bet whoever duds the most and looks least promising gets kicked to the curb for Anderson/Nelson sooner rather than later.

You just can't have this competitive of a team and let young guys toss around 5.00 ERAs or worse. All three are incredibly exciting young pitchers and if we only had one I think we could live with growing pains, but we can't trot out an almost full rotation of them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:20 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I told people before the season Chase Anderson could/would outperform at least one of these guys in the rotation. One of these guys is going to be an absolute dud in the rotation...just not good odds you start that many young guys and one doesn't just blow. HRs or not Anderson could be solid with a lot less varying results.

I think even the Brewers knew that going into the season. They have Anderson waiting around and then they have Nelson eventually ready....probably around the start of May. They probably started them all in the rotation to get an idea of who was going to sink or swim. Not sure if they will get more than a month to figure it out, but I can almost bet whoever duds the most and looks least promising gets kicked to the curb for Anderson/Nelson sooner rather than later.

You just can't have this competitive of a team and let young guys toss around 5.00 ERAs or worse. All three are incredibly exciting young pitchers and if we only had one I think we could live with growing pains, but we can't trot out an almost full rotation of them.

This was why not releasing Garza before 2017 was a mistake. Woodruff was ready to be a major-league starter then, and 2017 was the year for him to have those growing pains. He would have been a prime piece of the 2018 rotation.

The young guns have growing pains... Peralta needs more than fastballs. Burnes needs to hone his third and fourth pitches. The question is whether the Crew can weather those and repeat as division champs. I think the answer is yes, but it may be closer than we'd all like it to be.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:21 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Ennder said:

I know it likely isn't going to happen at this point, but signing Keuchel would go a long way toward stabilizing the rotation, while also allowing them to shift either Burnes or Woodruff to the pen, which would stabilize things back there. Certainly not a cure-all for this pitching staff, but it would go a long way toward fixing things. Perhaps they will just decide to let things ride until after the draft, then see where things are at regarding Keuchel and, to a lesser extent, Kimbrel.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:51 AM Post
Big start for Woodruff tonight.

Woodruff as a major league starter (67 2/3 innings) = 4.81 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 1.05 HR/9, 2.29 K/BB
Woodruff as a major league reliever (26 2/3 innings) = 2.06 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 0.69 HR/9, 6.80 K/BB

Sample sizes still pretty small, but with both the starting pitching and bullpen really struggling at this point, it seems like bumping Woodruff to the pen would be an obvious move if he has a couple more bad starts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:51 AM Post
Came across some video of Jimmy Nelson breaking off some crazy off-speed stuff from yesterday. Man I hope things go well when he gets to AAA next week, and we can see him back up with the big club soon. This staff needs a pick-me-up.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/statu ... 1953013760

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:55 AM Post
JosephC said:
Big start for Woodruff tonight.

Woodruff as a major league starter (67 2/3 innings) = 4.81 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 1.05 HR/9, 2.29 K/BB
Woodruff as a major league reliever (26 2/3 innings) = 2.06 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 0.69 HR/9, 6.80 K/BB

Sample sizes still pretty small, but with both the starting pitching and bullpen really struggling at this point, it seems like bumping Woodruff to the pen would be an obvious move if he has a couple more bad starts.

Obviously the sample sizes are even smaller, but I imagine there is even a bigger divide between Burnes' starting and relieving numbers. I'm not against sending one of them to the pen, but just want them to make the right decision if it eventually comes to that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
Most of Woodruffs SP innings came in 2017, his first year in the league while the relief innings were a year later. He throws harder, gets more swinging strikes (And thus strikeouts) now than he did then, he's simply a better pitcher now. And the sample is still very small. In other words, I wouldn't pay much attention to those splits. Woodruff is probably the last of the three young guys I'd move out of the rotation at this point. I don't think he has the highest ceiling, but he's currently the most polished starter among them. For one thing he throws 4 pitches, or 5 if you want to count the two fastballs separately. And not that it should be the primary or even secondary thing to consider, but he's also the best hitter among them. And I for one enjoy pitchers who rake.

I believe in Burnes as a starter, but I also think he's the one who'd play up the most as a reliever compared to a starter, at least for now. Simply because he has the best raw stuff. For me though this is a discussion to have when Jimmy is ready to step into the rotation, or if Keuchel should lower his demands enough to make a lot of sense. In other words, at least (in the former case) several weeks. They all have the talent and stuff to start, let's see if they show signs of being able to put it all together more consistently. In the mean time, to quote a wise philosopher: C H I L L.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:15 AM Post
You think an Addition of a healthy Nelson and Dallas would go a long way to stabilize the rotation

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:22 AM Post
brewmann04 said:
You think an Addition of a healthy Nelson and Dallas would go a long way to stabilize the rotation

Of course it would. Not that its going to happen, but a Keuchel signing makes sense in a lot of ways. Welcoming a healthy Nelson back to the rotation would, first off, be a pretty big emotional boost. It would be my hope that he can be effective, but that remains to be seen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:42 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Came across some video of Jimmy Nelson breaking off some crazy off-speed stuff from yesterday. Man I hope things go well when he gets to AAA next week, and we can see him back up with the big club soon. This staff needs a pick-me-up.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/statu ... 1953013760

Thank you for that video Joey!

Glad to see jimmy pitching again to live batters. Stuff has been ridiculously good all spring, no wonder his forearm/elbow was sore after snapping off those breaking balls.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
The pitching staff as presently constructed is not good, as we are seeing by the numbers. My solution would be to sign Keuchel, wait for Nelson to return and start him in the bullpen. I would move Burnes back to his same bullpen role from last year, where he seemed much more effective. I would also bring up Zack Brown and use him in the bullpen until Nelson returns. Of course Jeffress should be back soon, which will also help the beleaguered bullpen. I would jettison Petricka, Albers, and Barnes immediately. When Nelson comes back, you can either send Brown back down or see how Alex Wilson is doing at that point. This pitching staff needs a shakeup in my view, and that is what i think Stearns should do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 9:27 AM Post
shanedog19 said:
The pitching staff as presently constructed is not good, as we are seeing by the numbers. My solution would be to sign Keuchel, wait for Nelson to return and start him in the bullpen. I would move Burnes back to his same bullpen role from last year, where he seemed much more effective. I would also bring up Zack Brown and use him in the bullpen until Nelson returns. Of course Jeffress should be back soon, which will also help the beleaguered bullpen. I would jettison Petricka, Albers, and Barnes immediately. When Nelson comes back, you can either send Brown back down or see how Alex Wilson is doing at that point. This pitching staff needs a shakeup in my view, and that is what i think Stearns should do.

Agree with Kuechel
Agree with Nelson
Agree on Brown
Agree on Barnes and Petricka go

Disagree on Burnes, I’d give him more time in rotation.
Peralta to pen
Albers can stay for now
I’d trade for Watson or givens or greene

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
Imagine if we overreacted and sent Chacin to the pen after his rough April last year. You just can't make these decisions based on a couple of outings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Imagine if we overreacted and sent Chacin to the pen after his rough April last year. You just can't make these decisions based on a couple of outings.

Yeah, I think that's where many of the worst takes in sports (and life in general tbh) comes from. As far as baseball goes, everyone, or almost everyone, knows about the perils of small sample sizes. But hardly anyone actually takes it into account. And even those who do tend to underestimate the sample sizes needed for something to be significant.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 10:05 AM Post
I agree we can't overreact as I think everyone can see the 'stuff' is there for these guys. There is growing pains and coaching that needs to be done to use it as effectively as possible, gaining control, etc. Think Nelson when he first came up. That said, as a contending team it's tough to take those lumps right now but if we can get two of them performing how it looks like they're capable that is huge for the team.

I'd also guess the plan is that when Jimmy is healthy he'll come in as a starter because you can just control his throwing much more being on a set plan like that. At that point one of the starters will be hurt or they'll choose one to put in the pen based on performance. So they'll all have 5-6 starts under their belts by then and have more sample to from.

I'm guessing the extreme Peralta supporter didn't chime in with his 'told ya so' like he did after the last start? haha. Peralta really has to add another pitch, you just can't survive with only a fastball and now he's seemingly barely using the curve. I know his game 2 was amazing but in the STL and this one he couldn't get swing and misses at all, generally that's a bad sign. Seemed like Goldy fouled off a dozen pitches from him, and all were hit really hard.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 10:25 AM Post
The 'stache said:
Color me concerned.

The young kids are going to have some bumps in the road as they mature into full time Major League starters. With a good bullpen, that's at least weatherable. But this bullpen, overall, is not good.

We're giving up too many walks, of late. 11 the last two games to a bunch of Angels hitters who, outside of Trout, don't have much plate discipline.

I'm concerned too. We can't keep giving up double digit runs and expect to win very many ball games. Last night was depressing as hell...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 67  Next  [ 1328 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply