LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 240 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: April 10, 2019, 12:26 PM Post
I think it’s mostly because so many guys just want to try to hit a ton of homeruns instead of being all-around players. I think the pendulum will swing the other way once there are guys complaining about hitting 30 homeruns, but only getting offered 2/$10 million contracts because so many guys are doing it. Having guys hit .280/.350 with 15 homeruns is a better recipe for a consistent offense than a .230/.280 hitter with 30 homers.

I think baseball is just at a point where homeruns are “king”, but once some players decide to become better hitters, work counts for walks, and go back to putting more balls in play, more players will follow suit because GM’s value players like that over gaudy homerun numbers. There just aren’t a lot of players like that in the league right now and it is something that players need to want to do and put in the time to do instead of walking up trying to hit a ball 450 feet every single time up.

This is just my opinion and not a fact obviously. But players similar to Cain and Ender Inciarte will become more valuable than guys trying to hit a homerun every time they step up to the plate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I think it’s mostly because so many guys just want to try to hit a ton of homeruns instead of being all-around players. I think the pendulum will swing the other way once there are guys complaining about hitting 30 homeruns, but only getting offered 2/$10 million contracts because so many guys are doing it. Having guys hit .280/.350 with 15 homeruns is a better recipe for a consistent offense than a .230/.280 hitter with 30 homers.

I think baseball is just at a point where homeruns are “king”, but once some players decide to become better hitters, work counts for walks, and go back to putting more balls in play, more players will follow suit because GM’s value players like that over gaudy homerun numbers. There just aren’t a lot of players like that in the league right now and it is something that players need to want to do and put in the time to do instead of walking up trying to hit a ball 450 feet every single time up.

This is just my opinion and not a fact obviously. But players similar to Cain and Ender Inciarte will become more valuable than guys trying to hit a homerun every time they step up to the plate.

I'm not sure if that's true. Teams that have the best analytic minds in the game are signing all home run hitting mashers. Now, that's not to say that they shouldn't have Cains guys like that in there, but launch angle + hitting the home run is still tied to winning in the minds of most GMs.

However, the point is that entire teams are mashing the heck out of the ball over the fence. Jarrod Dyson and Tommy La Stella are matching entire seasons worth of home run totals in the first 2 weeks. I'm not sure those guys are trying to hit home runs and I'm not sure Jay Bruce is trying any harder than last year yet he is having a much easier time getting the ball over the fence this year.

It has only been a short period, but the home run totals are at 2017 levels (they went back down in 2018).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 3:07 PM Post
You can't shift a home run but you can take away a lot of hits with shifting.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
RollieTime said:

Well, I don't know if it's true or not because just using HR's without giving us anything on OBP doesn't help a ton. We did see the Brewers just let a 40 HR hitter leave because he was going to cost about 10 million.

And guys like Cain are always going to be valuable. He got 80 million over 5 years, which I think was a very good contract for the Brewers, in a depressed market.

There is something fun about watching Cain though. You watch him...and it doesn't look like he's doing well at the plate. But because of his approach, he's almost always hitting over .280 with a very high OBP. You've seen nights where he's gotten on 3 times without hitting a ball to the OF. I'd bet he could hit 25-30 HR's and see his BA and OBP dro about 80 points, but that would make him much less valuable.

I'm not sure if that's true. Teams that have the best analytic minds in the game are signing all home run hitting mashers. Now, that's not to say that they shouldn't have Cains guys like that in there, but launch angle + hitting the home run is still tied to winning in the minds of most GMs.

However, the point is that entire teams are mashing the heck out of the ball over the fence. Jarrod Dyson and Tommy La Stella are matching entire seasons worth of home run totals in the first 2 weeks. I'm not sure those guys are trying to hit home runs and I'm not sure Jay Bruce is trying any harder than last year yet he is having a much easier time getting the ball over the fence this year.

It has only been a short period, but the home run totals are at 2017 levels (they went back down in 2018).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 11:07 AM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
In case anyone missed it, here's the worst play I have EVER seen in the outfield in a ball game at any level.

https://www.mlb.com/video/hernandez-s-unusual-double

Here's writer, Jay Jaffe's take on the debacle [laughing] https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs ... una-doing/

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: April 11, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
trwi7 said:
Sonny Gray and Wade Miley both sucking.

Perhaps the Derek Johnson pixie dust isn't as magical anymore.

Brewers team ERA: 23rd
Reds team ERA: 6th

I realize this post was from awhile ago, but I for one sure miss DJ.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 11:25 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
trwi7 said:

Reds have also played 6 games against the Pirates and 2 against the Marlins.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
trwi7 said:

Reds have also played 6 games against the Pirates and 2 against the Marlins.

True, but the Brewers just gave up 11 runs to a pathetic Angels team that was missing Trout for half of the game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
Dead Simmons said:
In case anyone missed it, here's the worst play I have EVER seen in the outfield in a ball game at any level.

https://www.mlb.com/video/hernandez-s-unusual-double

Here's writer, Jay Jaffe's take on the debacle [laughing] https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs ... una-doing/

This is the 2nd time Ozuna has done this. He did it at Miller Park and I believe the run(s) scored on the play were the difference in the game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 2:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
trwi7 said:

Any stat that can swing your team from 23rd to top 10 after a single game is probably not worth using.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 2:36 PM Post
Not really sure what you're talking about. Nobody went from 23rd to top 10 in one game.

Reds have allowed 35 runs in 12 games, we've allowed 71 in 13. Very clearly their pitching has been far better so far.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 3:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Not really sure what you're talking about. Nobody went from 23rd to top 10 in one game.

Reds have allowed 35 runs in 12 games, we've allowed 71 in 13. Very clearly their pitching has been far better so far.

I am saying any stat that fluctuates so much game to game is not that great a barometer of success. Brewers could literally have a better ERA than the Reds after one homestand. At the very least the jury is out on whether or not the pitching coach is missed or not.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 12, 2019, 9:48 AM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
A word on the Dodgers: they didn't look like the awesome team they are in the last 4 game series with the Cards. So many HBP, wild pitches and walks. Except for Bellinger their hitting was tepid. Max Muncy was less than his usual.

But it's a long season and of course, they will bounce back. But you gotta get 'em while they're down. I heard Kershaw is coming off the DL. I wonder if his injury was arm related?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 12, 2019, 4:16 PM Post
A lot more goes into the strike out spike than just the players trying to hit HR. More ABs are against high end RP than ever before and the pitch training technology is ramping up way faster than the hitting. Even if nothing at all changed about how hitters approached the game you would see a big spike in K%.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 5:37 PM Post
Red Sox pitching just sucking. Even Chris Davis bashed them around with a 3 hit, 4 RBI performance. Team ERA was 6.14 going into today and they ended up giving up another 9 runs (8 earned).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 14, 2019, 5:11 PM Post

The Blue Jays plan to purchase the contract of Eric Sogard from Triple-A Buffalo on Monday.
They'll first need to make a 40-man roster move. Sogard could see fairly regular playing time at second base after the struggling Lourdes Gurriel was optioned to Triple-A following Sunday's game.

Source: Keegan Matheson on Twitter
Apr 14, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 17, 2019, 3:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
Bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, two outs, full count, Mets down one run, Keon Broxton at the plate, 94 MPH right down the middle...

...swing & miss.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2019, 7:21 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, two outs, full count, Mets down one run, Keon Broxton at the plate, 94 MPH right down the middle...

...swing & miss.

He had a game winning hit around a week ago

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
sveumrules said:

...swing & miss.

Better than just watching it go by I guess.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:53 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
Red Sox pitching just sucking. Even Chris Davis bashed them around with a 3 hit, 4 RBI performance. Team ERA was 6.14 going into today and they ended up giving up another 9 runs (8 earned).

It looks like Tampa is now the clear favorite in the AL East. Shocking.

The wild cards are wide open so there is still plenty of time for Boston to wake up.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 240 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply