LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next  [ 819 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: April 30, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
More of a Random thought than Misc MLB News. I find it interesting that the Reds always seem to announce their starting lineup way ahead of any other team (on days when every team is playing a night game). It's not even noon central, they have a 6:10 game and they already have the lineup out there, same thing happened yesterday. I only notice this because I'm in an NL only fantasy league and have 3 Reds on my team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 30, 2019, 11:36 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
More of a Random thought than Misc MLB News. I find it interesting that the Reds always seem to announce their starting lineup way ahead of any other team (on days when every team is playing a night game). It's not even noon central, they have a 6:10 game and they already have the lineup out there, same thing happened yesterday. I only notice this because I'm in an NL only fantasy league and have 3 Reds on my team.

Never noticed that but I remember reading before the season started that MLB was going to make lineup announcements a standard amount of time before games for all teams because it was effecting betting or something like that. However, I've noticed no uniformity with lineup announcements this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 30, 2019, 6:45 PM Post
Not sure if this is fully true, but MLBTR has a post that says the Cubs will option Addison Russell to AAA where he's allowed to play while being suspended the entire year? It says from a 40 game suspension for violating the domestic violence policy. Being down in AAA he will not accrue service time.

I'm not sure I understand the suspension part. Did Chicago suspend him the entirety of the season on top of MLB's 40game suspension? But more confusing is that it says he will be activated from the restrictive list Thursday and then optioned. Thursday clearly hasn't been 40 games. wooop okay I guess he has been serving already from 2018. So now that means Chicago team suspended him the rest of the entire 2019 season? Or is MLBTR just smoking crack? The piece goes on saying he won't accrue any service time while he's down in AAA serving his suspension but allowed to play down there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 30, 2019, 6:55 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Not sure if this is fully true, but MLBTR has a post that says the Cubs will option Addison Russell to AAA where he's allowed to play while being suspended the entire year? It says from a 40 game suspension for violating the domestic violence policy. Being down in AAA he will not accrue service time.

I'm not sure I understand the suspension part. Did Chicago suspend him the entirety of the season on top of MLB's 40game suspension? But more confusing is that it says he will be activated from the restrictive list Thursday and then optioned. Thursday clearly hasn't been 40 games. wooop okay I guess he has been serving already from 2018. So now that means Chicago team suspended him the rest of the entire 2019 season? Or is MLBTR just smoking crack? The piece goes on saying he won't accrue any service time while he's down in AAA serving his suspension but allowed to play down there.

Based on the rest of the article I take the following to mean simply that he has been suspended the entirety of the 2019 season so far. Not worded very clearly.

"He’s been suspended for the entirety of the 2019 season as part of a 40-game suspension under the league’s domestic violence policy that was issued last September."

Starting on Thursday he'll simply be a player optioned to the minors, like any other. Well, except that he's not, but in terms of roster and service time rules etc he will be.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 30, 2019, 7:31 PM Post
Thus far. Thanks for helping me read between the lines.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  USA Today Juiced Ball story
Posted: May 03, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 650669002/

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: USA Today Juiced Ball story
Posted: May 03, 2019, 2:59 PM Post
Roderick said:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/05/02/mlb-home-runs-record-rate-juiced-ball/3650669002/

To be honest Im starting to fall out of love with baseball these days.

Sad.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 03, 2019, 3:42 PM Post
I find it funny how Manfred is all about speeding up the game to try to interest younger fans, but at the same time, wants more scoring to make it more interesting. If they are truly juicing the ball and changing it in some way like it’s rumored to be, pitchers are having to learn how to throw a different ball that has lower laces and a much different feel in the hand. This will lead to less control, most likely more walks, and more homeruns because of mistake pitches.

So not only are pitchers throwing more pitches trying to get a feel with the new balls, there are more walks and more homeruns, leading to longer games. This is in an era where players are striking out at alarming rates as well, increasing at bat lengths and game time. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s funny how Manfred wants shorter game lengths, but more scoring. While at the same time changing the ball where pitchers have to in a way relearn how to pitch with the new ball. The logic of the entire situation is really something else...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 08, 2019, 9:40 AM Post
I know it's less than 40 at bats, but Vlad Jr. sure hasn't set the world on fire at the MLB level just yet. Hoping this post serves as a reverse jinx and he gets rolling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
Tyler Glasnow leaves the game with "forearm tightness". Yikes.

edit: Only expected to miss 4 - 6 weeks. Thought that was Tommy John for sure.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
homer said:

Dangit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 11, 2019, 2:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
https://deadspin.com/you-could-microwav ... 1834695558

Pace. Of. Play.

Well over 2 minutes between pitches. I haven't been an advocate of a pitch clock, but this kind of stuff is just ridiculous. You want a faster game? There's no reason for a pitcher (Yes, Zach Greinke) to stand for over a minute with a ball on his hip, while the batter steps out not once, but twice, and then shake off the catcher when he tries to come out to the mound. There's gamesmanship, and then there's this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 11, 2019, 2:22 PM Post
I really don't the idea of clocks but the umpires should have the power to do something to somebody when the game comes to a halt. Call a ball, or a strike, or a balk or something to get someone to do something. My JV games this year are taking less than 2 hours to do 7 innings. And this is with all the crappy JV play involved. Walks, errors, kids not knowing how to play baseball, etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 11, 2019, 4:35 PM Post
If you want games to go faster, each throw over or step off is a ball. (Not 4th ball, though)
There would be more action with few throws over and more running on the bases.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 11, 2019, 5:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
If you want games to go faster, each throw over or step off is a ball. (Not 4th ball, though)

I don't mind a throw to 1st base. Pitchers have to be able to hold runners. If they can't check or hold runners, runners would steal bases with impunity.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 11, 2019, 7:16 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
rickh150 said:

I don't mind a throw to 1st base. Pitchers have to be able to hold runners. If they can't check or hold runners, runners would steal bases with impunity.

They could still throw over. It would just be more of an event when they would, and there would be a negative attached to slowing down the game.

The three batter limit per pitcher is fine too. I'll welcome that one next year.

Also, how about the incoming relief pitcher has to walk hand in hand with the manager when he enters the game. Those pitching changes get to me... should be a quicker way to do it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 12, 2019, 1:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
This is why you don't put guys on the IL with fake injuries when they aren't performing the way you want them to perform.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2672 ... ked-injury

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 12, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
This is why you don't put guys on the IL with fake injuries when they aren't performing the way you want them to perform.

I'm sure fake injuries happen all the time. Holland is just upset he's being taken out of the rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 12, 2019, 1:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

I'm sure fake injuries happen all the time. Holland is just upset he's being taken out of the rotation.

Guys get taken out of rotations pretty often. Not sure how often they get asked (or told) to fake an injury to make it happen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 13, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
homer said:

edit: Only expected to miss 4 - 6 weeks. Thought that was Tommy John for sure.

That trade was still a disaster for Pittsburgh. Not sure what they were thinking. Glasnow AND Meadows AND the 12th overall pick from 2017 for Archer? Yuk.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next  [ 819 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply