LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 464 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: June 14, 2019, 12:03 AM Post
The Cardinals still owe about 300 million dollars in future guaranteed money to Fowler, Molina, Goldschmidt, and Mikolas. That has to make them a little bit nervous given the ages of these guys and their current productivity.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: June 14, 2019, 6:11 AM Post
adambr2 said:
The Cardinals still owe about 300 million dollars in future guaranteed money to Fowler, Molina, Goldschmidt, and Mikolas. That has to make them a little bit nervous given the ages of these guys and their current productivity.

Well Molina and Fowler both are pretty much done with their deals. The other two it is a tad too soon to really know how they will end up. Forget the money though, I don't think it will matter. They have an aging roster that has a lot of guys close to FA in the coming years.

Personally they would be wise to start selling off assets unless they have a big turnaround before the end of July. The pitching that was suppose to be their strength is not that impressive (especially the starters) and the offense has left quite a bit to be desired. That lackluster offense is aging the wrong direction to boot.

Carpenter old, having down year
Goldy, so far not inspiring
Ozuna, FA after the year
Molina, ancient and not an offensive force anymore

I don't know, they don't have a terrible team and their future isn't insanely bleak...but man I feel like some type of rebuild would probably be wise for them. It would look dumb after extending Goldy, but they are the third best team in their division trying to chase a wild card spot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 10:42 AM Post
Every single batter on the Twins roster currently has an OPS above league average.

That is insane.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2019, 8:35 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
The Colorado Rockies outscored the San Diego Padres 48-44 in their recent 4-game series split.

The Rockies made history by being the first team in the live-ball era (at least) to score 12+ runs in three straight games and lose two of them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2019, 8:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:

I hadn’t paid much attention to the Cardinals recently so I just looked at Goldschmidt’s last 30 days before Sunday (May 15th - June 15th). Over those past 27 games he has just four extra base hits total (two doubles and two home runs) as well as a .242 BA and .672 OPS. I know he came on strong later in the season last year, but that is a rough stretch after a good start to the season (versus the Brewers at least).

EDIT: He did hit a home run on Sunday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

I hadn’t paid much attention to the Cardinals recently so I just looked at Goldschmidt’s last 30 days before Sunday (May 15th - June 15th). Over those past 27 games he has just four extra base hits total (two doubles and two home runs) as well as a .242 BA and .672 OPS. I know he came on strong later in the season last year, but that is a rough stretch after a good start to the season (versus the Brewers at least).

Goldy's pedestrian numbers are a surprise to see because every time he plays the Brewers you'd think he was the GOAT.

Lots of time left though and as you mentioned he did start off 2018 very slow only to finish on a tear.

Still, it's quite possible, if not probable that the Cardinals will regret giving him 5/130.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2019, 8:19 PM Post
The umpires union is upset that Many Machado only got a one game suspension for his tirade during the Rockies series claiming an "unsafe working environment" due to his meltdown. I won't totally disagree with that only because Many violently threw his bat, not at anyone, just haphazardly toward to backstop. Of course this is an organization that has zero accountability for its own members actions on the field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2019, 8:29 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
The umpires union is upset that Many Machado only got a one game suspension for his tirade during the Rockies series claiming an "unsafe working environment" due to his meltdown. I won't totally disagree with that only because Many violently threw his bat, not at anyone, just haphazardly toward to backstop. Of course this is an organization that has zero accountability for its own members actions on the field.

"work environment" is subject to collective bargaining & if the union is adding the phrase "unsafe" to it, they can force some discussions to the bargaining table. That said, you being up a great point about accountability & indirectly an electronic strike zone.

Baseball Mgmt can make it a negotiation swap - make the conditions "safer" by ensuring the umpires are held accountable and a big point of contention (the strike zone) is negated by making the zone electronically monitored...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
Outside of the pitcher the Braves don't have a player in their lineup tonight with an OBP under .328 or a SLG% under .458.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: June 20, 2019, 6:13 AM Post
For all the flak huge contracts at 30+ get...Max Scherzer, what a contract. Someone go back in time and offer him 10/$300mil.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

Goldy's pedestrian numbers are a surprise to see because every time he plays the Brewers you'd think he was the GOAT.

His numbers against Milwaukee this year:

436/511/949

I don't have time to do this right now but if you take out the Milwaukee numbers his line must be absolutely awful.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 11:41 AM Post
Woah...

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1141761834434871297

I believe eventually they would choose one city. The one will to build a new stadium.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 11:52 AM Post
The solution to struggling to build a stadium? Build two! Will be interesting to see where this goes. Though I suspect this is more of a threat/ploy to put pressure on St. Pete and/or Tampa to pay for a new stadium than it is a serious plan.

But if it happens, would they then be the ExRays?

Last edited by Lathund on June 20, 2019, 12:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 12:02 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
The only allowable name for this team would be the "Snowbirds"

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
Woah...

I believe eventually they would choose one city. The one will to build a new stadium.

They want both cities to build stadiums. Typical MLB doing just about the dumbest thing possible.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 12:44 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
Patrick425 said:
Woah...

They want both cities to build stadiums. Typical MLB doing just about the dumbest thing possible.

What is the smart move here? The current situation in Tampa needs to be resolved so something needs to be done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
owbc said:
trwi7 said:
Patrick425 said:
Woah...

What is the smart move here? The current situation in Tampa needs to be resolved so something needs to be done.

Not alienating a fan base? Threatening to move permanently is a lot better option than saying we'll play the first half of our home games in Tampa and the second half in Montreal, both with garbage stadiums and we know neither city is going to build a new stadium if they're only getting half the games.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 1:00 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
Not alienating a fan base? Threatening to move permanently is a lot better option than saying we'll play the first half of our home games in Tampa and the second half in Montreal, both with garbage stadiums and we know neither city is going to build a new stadium if they're only getting half the games.

A split-season seems like the less alienating move. I think everyone knows this wouldn't be a permanent situation, similar to how Montreal played part of their season Puerto Rico for a while.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 1:01 PM Post
Snowbirds line is great, well done.

Being a somewhat Vegas regular/insider it's my understanding that an MLB stadium is as good as happening in Vegas. OAK is the easier and more logical move but someone is gonna end up there and TB seems more urgent of a situation. It would just get weird trying to move around divisions. One of the TX teams would likely have to move to the central and Cleveland or Det to the East. Messes up old rivalries quite a bit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 1:26 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I also heard the Vegas rumor. In this era where stadium=money it’s clear that any group who can push a stadium through is going to get a team and the more they can mooch off the taxpayers the better. Crazy how welfare for billionaires is considered acceptable.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 464 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply