LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 464 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: July 09, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
The 2 active WAR leaders are now Pujols and Trout. As far as I can tell it is the first time ever the 2 active leaders are on the same team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Also probably the first time someone 27 years old was 2nd in active WAR. This guy is just crazy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 10:39 AM Post
topper09er said:
The 2 active WAR leaders are now Pujols and Trout. As far as I can tell it is the first time ever the 2 active leaders are on the same team.

Looks like Lefty Grove and Jimmie Foxx were #1 and #2 for the Red Sox after Lou Gehrig retired in 1939 plus 1940 and 1941. So if Pujols plays out his contract then him and Trout can match Grove and Foxx being #1 and #2 for parts of 3 seasons.

Also if we assume Pujols then retires Trout would be the #1 active WAR leader at age 30. Looks like that record may be held by Wisconsin native Kid Nichols who was the active WAR leader in 1898 at age 28

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
Also probably the first time someone 27 years old was 2nd in active WAR. This guy is just crazy.

I think we've mentioned this before here but Trout is arguably going to be the best player in the history of the game and is probably underrated.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
homer said:
tmwiese55 said:

I think we've mentioned this before here but Trout is arguably going to be the best player in the history of the game and is probably underrated.

+1

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
Totally agree. If he was playing in NY or Bos it would be non stop talk about him like the endless "is LBJ the GOAT" that never stops. Instead he's flying under the radar and non baseball nerds have no idea the best player ever is currently playing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
Totally agree. If he was playing in NY or Bos it would be non stop talk about him like the endless "is LBJ the GOAT" that never stops. Instead he's flying under the radar and non baseball nerds have no idea the best player ever is currently playing.

I think it's also because he's played on a lot of mediocre to bad teams. If the Angels were perennial playoff contenders he'd be getting a ton more pub.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
homer said:
tmwiese55 said:

I went to a Brewers game when the Angels were in town I think 3 years ago just to watch him play in person. It’s a must to see Trout play in person at least once since he could arguably be the best baseball player ever when he finally retires.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 12:55 PM Post
Eric Sogard has 10 home runs already this year. He has hit 21 total in his career.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 4:57 PM Post
burnzy24 said:
Eric Sogard has 10 home runs already this year. He has hit 21 total in his career.

Tommy LaStella is doing similar work. MLB cant convince me they havent messed with the balls.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 5:29 PM Post
homer said:
tmwiese55 said:

I remember getting into an argument with a bartender in Milwaukee about Mike Trout. His position was that Trout was overrated and "not even that good. His numbers don't mean anything, he only plays well when his team is out of it."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing as I think he's already one of the best players ever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 5:35 PM Post
yfinn6 said:
I remember getting into an argument with a bartender in Milwaukee about Mike Trout. His position was that Trout was overrated and "not even that good. His numbers don't mean anything, he only plays well when his team is out of it."

I hope you cut him off for having a few too many shots with his customers.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 5:43 PM Post
trwi7 said:
yfinn6 said:

I hope you cut him off for having a few too many shots with his customers.

The argument got heated. I couldn't help but laugh at his arguments and embarrass my girlfriend in the process.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 10:39 AM Post
https://twitter.com/ScottMillerBbl/stat ... 2258280451

I found this to be a very good article on the electronic strike zone, if anyone is interested.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 10:50 AM Post
yfinn6 said:
homer said:
tmwiese55 said:

I couldn't believe what I was hearing as I think he's already one of the best players ever.

I mean, in his defense, like half of ESPN talking heads get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to say the same thing about NBA players and Ringz.

To be clear, I of course fully agree with you here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
https://twitter.com/ScottMillerBbl/status/1150803922258280451

I found this to be a very good article on the electronic strike zone, if anyone is interested.

I think a better stat to figure out is the humans accuracy on what could be considered borderline pitches. That 97% is inflated by extremely easy calls one way or the other. Take outs at 1st as an example. They were probably correct on above 97% too because almost all aren't really close.

Maybe a way to get data would be to take balls within one or two ball sizes (I know, phrasing) either way and see the accuracy. I'd guess it's not all that high, probably in the 60s, and I don't blame the umps as it is a very difficult thing to judge, they're doing their best but it would show a large area of improvement that could be made. Most importantly to me, it eliminates the variable and subsequent complaining, whining, and excuses. Plus you'd have to clearly define that if the ball touches the line at all it counts as a strike, or some other definition if preferred.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on July 15, 2019, 11:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
Anyone who is a former catcher or loves that aspect of the game should hate the idea of machines calling pitches. But I guess we have already lost the art of pitching, small ball, etc... so in the end I’m sure the game will go on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Anyone who is a former catcher or loves that aspect of the game should hate the idea of machines calling pitches. But I guess we have already lost the art of pitching, small ball, etc... so in the end I’m sure the game will go on.

I personally think pitch framing and pitchers expanding the strike zone is pure trash and should never have been a part of baseball. It's dishonest in my opinion, basically manipulating the umpire into calls you don't deserve. The strike zone should be binary, either a pitch is a strike or it isn't.

All that said, that article had a lot of good arguments against the electronic strike zone that need to be worked out if they were to implement. I just firmly disagree with the reasons such as pitch framing and command guys being able to expand the strike zone as if those things are normal, acceptable parts of the game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 12:02 PM Post
I don't think pitch framing is trash. If you can do it and give your team an advantage, more power to you. However, umps in general are trash and pitch framing wouldn't be as big of a deal if umps weren't so bad at their jobs.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
trwi7 said:
I don't think pitch framing is trash. If you can do it and give your team an advantage, more power to you. However, umps in general are trash and pitch framing wouldn't be as big of a deal if umps weren't so bad at their jobs.

I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on disliking pitch framing. To me, it's not really different from flopping in soccer to try and get a penalty kick. Only in soccer, they started giving yellow cards to guys that dishonestly tried to trick the ref by flopping...in baseball teams give you more money for being better at tricking the umpire.

And I definitely 1000000% agree with the bolded. They can say they get 97% of calls correct all they want, but I personally don't buy it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 464 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply