LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next  [ 461 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#61

Posted: January 20, 2019, 3:17 AM Post
Posts: 1225
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

He means Machado is a turd, and he likely joins the majority of Brewer fans in not wanting him on the team. Fortunately, Stearns is a smart GM, and knows Machado would be embraced in Milwaukee about as well as a wet fart.



Really? Because I seem to remember a whole lot of people being real excited about the possibility of Machado coming over here in free agency.

I think it's a lot easier to say you don't want Machado when there's virtually zero chance it's going to happen. I don't really like the guy....but I like an elite power hitting SS/3B.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#62

Posted: January 20, 2019, 6:53 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7327
OnTheBlack said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

He means Machado is a turd, and he likely joins the majority of Brewer fans in not wanting him on the team. Fortunately, Stearns is a smart GM, and knows Machado would be embraced in Milwaukee about as well as a wet fart.



Really? Because I seem to remember a whole lot of people being real excited about the possibility of Machado coming over here in free agency.

I think it's a lot easier to say you don't want Machado when there's virtually zero chance it's going to happen. I don't really like the guy....but I like an elite power hitting SS/3B.


Yes, there were a lot of people excited by the idea of Machado at deadline time. Things change. Brewer fans have first-hand experience seeing how big of a douche he is now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#63

Posted: January 20, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9782
OnTheBlack said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

He means Machado is a turd, and he likely joins the majority of Brewer fans in not wanting him on the team. Fortunately, Stearns is a smart GM, and knows Machado would be embraced in Milwaukee about as well as a wet fart.



Really? Because I seem to remember a whole lot of people being real excited about the possibility of Machado coming over here in free agency.

I think it's a lot easier to say you don't want Machado when there's virtually zero chance it's going to happen. I don't really like the guy....but I like an elite power hitting SS/3B.


That was before he acted like a punk in the NLCS series vs Jesus and Arcia... Things change.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#64

Posted: January 20, 2019, 11:41 AM Post
Posts: 1947
Brew4U said:
Big part of me is happy to see him struggling to find his fit.


If by "big part of me" you mean "every fiber of my being", then I concur. Suck it Manny.

I think the players have a legit gripe though. They should be getting more of the revenue. To me the solution is obvious - pay them more when they're young and are actually worth it. It's hard to argue that owners should go back to handing out huge free agent deals again, as that would often put their teams at a competitive disadvantage. But you can't just let them pocket the extra money; it should go to the players who are earning it. The young guys are getting way underpaid.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#65

Posted: January 20, 2019, 12:47 PM Post
Posts: 4267
coolhandluke121 said:
Brew4U said:
Big part of me is happy to see him struggling to find his fit.


If by "big part of me" you mean "every fiber of my being", then I concur. Suck it Manny.

I think the players have a legit gripe though. They should be getting more of the revenue. To me the solution is obvious - pay them more when they're young and are actually worth it. It's hard to argue that owners should go back to handing out huge free agent deals again, as that would often put their teams at a competitive disadvantage. But you can't just let them pocket the extra money; it should go to the players who are earning it. The young guys are getting way underpaid.


True, but it's a two way street - under the current system, younger players should be more open to buying out a few initial FA years in order to get a large longterm extension earlier in their careers. Some power agents (Boras, et. al) make it a point to never allow their best clients to sacrifice how soon they reach free agency in order to get an extension with their 1st ballclub. Not having that option on the table probably cost Harper from having a current deal paying him $30M plus similar to Trout, had they approached the Nationals after his MVP season looking for an extension. A Boras client like Bryant is really over a barrel - he's gotten record pre arb and 1st year arbitration contracts, but he won't actually reach free agency until he is 30 in 2022. He was intentionally held in the minors in order to maximize their amount of control - now there are questions about his shoulder that sapped him of power most of last year, which will probably carry over to his FA year and coupled with his eventual age cost him a mega deal.

I found it funny that Longoria was criticizing the system with the big name FA's still unsigned, when he essentially signed a longterm extension that bought out a few FA years the moment he debuted in MLB with the Rays. IMO, premium collegiate draftees who rocket through the minors and are almost instant all-stars (Longoria, Braun, Bryant, Tulo, Verlander, etc) fare much better in terms of career earnings if they sign extensions early on rather than playing through 6 years of team control/arbitration with the hopes of cashing in around their 30th birthday. That was true close to a decade ago when guys like Longoria, Braun, and Tulo all signed these types of deals, and it's even more true now. For guys picked from HS that are likely generational talents (Trout, Harper, Machado, Kershaw, etc.), it's a tougher call, but I think it's almost always better in a world of guaranteed contracts to take as much money as you can, as soon as you can.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#66

Posted: January 20, 2019, 2:10 PM Post
Posts: 1947
Waiting made sense for a long time there. Then they cracked down on PEDs (meaning players can't stay in their prime until their late 30's) and teams got more discerning about value at the same time. I agree though. There should be more early extensions, and I think there will be soon. But even that could be something teams don't do when there are so many cheap players in their prime always coming up, due to team control rules and antiquated arbitration settlements that don't reflect true value.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#67

Posted: January 24, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
Posts: 552
Location: Washburn, WI
MLB is trying to reduce the amount of relievers used in a game by getting rid of the 10 day DL, going back to the 15 day DL stint, and increasing the amount of time a player needs to remain optioned in the minors once sent down before they can be brought back up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#68

Posted: January 24, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8273
RollieTime said:
MLB is trying to reduce the amount of relievers used in a game by getting rid of the 10 day DL, going back to the 15 day DL stint, and increasing the amount of time a player needs to remain optioned in the minors once sent down before they can be brought back up.


I don't think the 10 day DL has any effect on relievers. That's more for giving your SP a break without tying up a roster spot. But lengthening the amount of time a player has to be optioned would really have an impact. I doubt the players union would approve this as all this minor league shuttling gives more service time and MLB pay to players who wouldn't be on the roster at all.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#69

Posted: January 24, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
Posts: 552
Location: Washburn, WI
jerichoholicninja said:
RollieTime said:
MLB is trying to reduce the amount of relievers used in a game by getting rid of the 10 day DL, going back to the 15 day DL stint, and increasing the amount of time a player needs to remain optioned in the minors once sent down before they can be brought back up.


I don't think the 10 day DL has any effect on relievers. That's more for giving your SP a break without tying up a roster spot. But lengthening the amount of time a player has to be optioned would really have an impact. I doubt the players union would approve this as all this minor league shuttling gives more service time and MLB pay to players who wouldn't be on the roster at all.


I think they mentioned the 10 day DL since it allows you to place a guy on it for such a short time with a “fake” injury. If the player will now need to miss 4-5 more games, it might stop teams from “misusing” the short DL stint.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#70

Posted: January 24, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
Posts: 1947
I know it doesn't help the Brewers, but honestly I can understand where they're going with that. Right now, teams kind of have to exploit it to compete. I wouldn't call it a "loophole", but it is a strategy that would eventually start to not feel right if it takes over the game and causes even more games to go 4+ hours.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#71

Posted: January 24, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6946
RollieTime said:
jerichoholicninja said:
RollieTime said:
MLB is trying to reduce the amount of relievers used in a game by getting rid of the 10 day DL, going back to the 15 day DL stint, and increasing the amount of time a player needs to remain optioned in the minors once sent down before they can be brought back up.


I don't think the 10 day DL has any effect on relievers. That's more for giving your SP a break without tying up a roster spot. But lengthening the amount of time a player has to be optioned would really have an impact. I doubt the players union would approve this as all this minor league shuttling gives more service time and MLB pay to players who wouldn't be on the roster at all.


I think they mentioned the 10 day DL since it allows you to place a guy on it for such a short time with a “fake” injury. If the player will now need to miss 4-5 more games, it might stop teams from “misusing” the short DL stint.

Yeah, the 10-day thing allowed a team to put a starter on the IR and miss only one start. The team would just put him on the IR the day after a start, and call him up right in time for his turn in the rotation - having just missed one start. Dodgers did this a ton.

It's a great strategy for a team who has a guy that they want to give a rest to on occasion during the year. You get an extra off day during a week and you just skip the guy in the rotation. That guy is put on the DL with 'fatigue' or 'soreness' and just gets to relax for 10 days before hoping right back in the rotation.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#72

Posted: January 24, 2019, 12:40 PM Post
Posts: 4570
Location: New Berlin, WI
coolhandluke121 said:
I know it doesn't help the Brewers, but honestly I can understand where they're going with that. Right now, teams kind of have to exploit it to compete. I wouldn't call it a "loophole", but it is a strategy that would eventually start to not feel right if it takes over the game and causes even more games to go 4+ hours.


USA today posted in their article that apparently game times went down from 2017 to 2018. They claim teh average game time was 3 hours and 44 seconds. I don't buy that personally. I feel like the average game I attended was closer to 3.5 hours than 3 hours.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#73

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:24 PM Post
Posts: 1947
KeithStone53151 said:
coolhandluke121 said:
I know it doesn't help the Brewers, but honestly I can understand where they're going with that. Right now, teams kind of have to exploit it to compete. I wouldn't call it a "loophole", but it is a strategy that would eventually start to not feel right if it takes over the game and causes even more games to go 4+ hours.


USA today posted in their article that apparently game times went down from 2017 to 2018. They claim teh average game time was 3 hours and 44 seconds. I don't buy that personally. I feel like the average game I attended was closer to 3.5 hours than 3 hours.


I wouldn't be surprised if the "average" game actually was a tiny bit shorter, but only because there weren't a lot of teams doing what the Brewers did with their bullpen. If we see more copycats, the average game length is going to go up. Like, a lot. Unless they take serious steps to counteract it.

And it may be that Brewer games were longer than average, leading to us having a different perspective. But I admit I'm not looking at those stats right now. Just making educated guesses based on how they used their staff.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#74

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8273
coolhandluke121 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
coolhandluke121 said:
I know it doesn't help the Brewers, but honestly I can understand where they're going with that. Right now, teams kind of have to exploit it to compete. I wouldn't call it a "loophole", but it is a strategy that would eventually start to not feel right if it takes over the game and causes even more games to go 4+ hours.


USA today posted in their article that apparently game times went down from 2017 to 2018. They claim teh average game time was 3 hours and 44 seconds. I don't buy that personally. I feel like the average game I attended was closer to 3.5 hours than 3 hours.


I wouldn't be surprised if the "average" game actually was a tiny bit shorter, but only because there weren't a lot of teams doing what the Brewers did with their bullpen. If we see more copycats, the average game length is going to go up. Like, a lot. Unless they take serious steps to counteract it.

And it may be that Brewer games were longer than average, leading to us having a different perspective. But I admit I'm not looking at those stats right now. Just making educated guesses based on how they used their staff.


I don't think the Brewers did a whole lot of mid inning pitching changes and most relievers were starting innings and pitching whole innings, they just used a lot of pitchers to get through games.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#75

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:58 PM Post
Posts: 635
I would be interested to see a breakdown of pitcher usage stats per team. Average # of pitchers per game, # of appearances greater, equal or lesser than 1 inning, etc. Though the Brewers did tap into their bullpen earlier than most teams, most of their relievers would go more than an inning if they didn't run into trouble.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#76

Posted: January 24, 2019, 2:11 PM Post
Posts: 4215
Location: Madison, WI
Just generally speaking though I think it's basically logical to assume more relievers would lead to longer game times. Maybe not all the time of course but on average it makes sense. But yes hopefully teams and MKE continue to do it the way the last few posts mention to reduce it being like LaRusa era STL games.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#77

Posted: January 24, 2019, 2:26 PM Post
Posts: 1947
jerichoholicninja said:

I don't think the Brewers did a whole lot of mid inning pitching changes and most relievers were starting innings and pitching whole innings, they just used a lot of pitchers to get through games.


Good point. After September call-ups, I'm guessing their games got a lot longer on average - even compared to other teams with call-ups in September. They had a lot of bullpen games.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#78

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:06 PM Post
Posts: 4570
Location: New Berlin, WI
This thing says Brewers games averaged 3 hours and 7 minutes. I honestly don't buy that though. There were some marathon games that must have driven up the average. I can think of very few games that were 2 hours and 45 minutes or less.

One other side thing, I was super impressed by the Giants attendance numbers considering they were a 73 win team. All the other teams that were top 12 in attendance were either playoff teams or serious contenders into September

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... misc.shtml


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#79

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:10 PM Post
Posts: 4215
Location: Madison, WI
Another factor in Brewer game times being down would be well that we obviously gave up very few runs and they also didn't have all that great of an offense. Essentially lower scoring games are simply usually faster. So I guess that would work overall in general as a counter to the extra pitching changes, basically if it leads to lower scoring games it might trade off the extra time spent on changes. However you then run into the overall issue in baseball of wanting more runs/action.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
#80

Posted: January 24, 2019, 5:25 PM Post
Posts: 1947
Yep, that's a good point. I would love to see more low-scoring games to be honest. I wish it was more defense + balls in play, as opposed to so many k's, but either way it's better than inflating offensive numbers for the type of fan who considers baseball boring without lots of runs. I don't think it's boring at all.

I'm going to lose it if they try to ban shifts. Let offenses adapt. Evolution is a huge part of baseball. Take away the game within the game and you alienate a large chunk of your core fan-base.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next  [ 461 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test