LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next  [ 777 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: September 27, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes that "the entire industry regards it as a fait accompli" that the Cubs will not bring back manager Joe Maddon.

In other words, it's seen as a foregone conclusion that Maddon will walk after his contract expires following the season. The news comes as no surprise, as the indication after Maddon was not extended was that he probably had to make a deep playoff run with the Cubs in order to have a chance to come back. While Maddon's tenure with the Cubs looks like it will end on a sour note, he'll surely have no problem landing another managing gig.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 27, 2019, 11:59 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 27, 2019, 10:59 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I still think those projections have serious flaws. The Brewers were at 5% at the division yesterday. If they beat the fading Reds twice after one STL loss they are one back with 3 left, against the Rockies while STL plays its most intense rival. I just have a hard time believing that was ever a 1/20 probability, it doesn't sounds that crazy.

They don't account for things like everyone on one team resting so yeah they are a bit flawed for this final little stretch. Our odds to win the division are probably lower than this gives us credit for and our odds to take home field in the wild card are probably higher.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 27, 2019, 12:41 PM Post
turborickey said:
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes that "the entire industry regards it as a fait accompli" that the Cubs will not bring back manager Joe Maddon.

In other words, it's seen as a foregone conclusion that Maddon will walk after his contract expires following the season. The news comes as no surprise, as the indication after Maddon was not extended was that he probably had to make a deep playoff run with the Cubs in order to have a chance to come back. While Maddon's tenure with the Cubs looks like it will end on a sour note, he'll surely have no problem landing another managing gig.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 27, 2019, 11:59 AM ET

I think I’d be fine with either Girardi or Matheny donning the Cubbie blue, but want no part of Bochy as skipper down there. I’m hoping he is looking for a beach somewhere or a gig in a warmer city. Incompetent managing in Chicago is a tradition worth preserving.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals, Cubs, and Manny Machado, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2019, 3:08 PM Post
Before the game yesterday, Bregman trailed Trout in WAR 8.3 to 8.1. Bregman went 1-1 with a single and two walks and then somehow finished the year at 8.4 WAR, taking away the title from Trout. I really do not know how WAR is calculated, but that doesn’t really add up to me. If a guy hits a couple homers and goes 5-5 in a game, yeah I can see why it would spike up that much. When Braun had his 6 hit game earlier in the year, did that give him .6 or .7 WAR of his 1.8 total WAR for the season? Seems a little far fetched to me. But again, I don’t have a great understanding of WAR. Maybe someone can explain how it possibly went up that much from those three plate appearances?

The Astros also reportedly removed him from the game after his third plate appearance, knowing that he took the WAR lead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2019, 3:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
Looking at the 2019 weighted run values for individual events a single is worth .870 runs & a walk is worth .690 runs

So .87 + .69 + .69 = 2.25 runs, which could be enough to raise it from 8.1 to 8.4.

Say he was at 8.149 coming into the game, which rounds down to 8.1 WAR then add the 2.25 runs & it goes up to 8.374, which then rounds to 8.4.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:34 PM Post
RollieTime said:
Before the game yesterday, Bregman trailed Trout in WAR 8.3 to 8.1. Bregman went 1-1 with a single and two walks and then somehow finished the year at 8.4 WAR, taking away the title from Trout. I really do not know how WAR is calculated, but that doesn’t really add up to me. If a guy hits a couple homers and goes 5-5 in a game, yeah I can see why it would spike up that much. When Braun had his 6 hit game earlier in the year, did that give him .6 or .7 WAR of his 1.8 total WAR for the season? Seems a little far fetched to me. But again, I don’t have a great understanding of WAR. Maybe someone can explain how it possibly went up that much from those three plate appearances?

The Astros also reportedly removed him from the game after his third plate appearance, knowing that he took the WAR lead.

It just tells you how silly any type WAR "stat" is. It depends on whose WAR "stats" you believe and is calculated differently by different sources. Meaningless.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
It just tells you how silly any type WAR "stat" is. It depends on whose WAR "stats" you believe and is calculated differently by different sources. Meaningless.

Which stat that accounts for batting, base running, defense, position, playing time & run scoring environment do you prefer to use as a starting point for player evaluation/comparison?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:57 PM Post
RollieTime said:

Defensive stats aren't updated daily so I'm guessing that's where it updated and pushed him over the top.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2019, 2:12 PM Post
https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1179086070891327488

I'm a bit of a sucker for thank you letters to a team's fans, particularly after the Brewers' recent run of success (that will continue tonight, staying positive!). Bochy's farewell letter to Giants fans is a good one of those.

EDIT: changed "retirement" to "farewell," since he may not retire.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 8:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
So the Cards are moaning about Acuna's home run trot last night. This is the least surprising thing I've read all morning.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 9:17 AM Post
homer said:
So the Cards are moaning about Acuna's home run trot last night. This is the least surprising thing I've read all morning.

Wasn't just the Cards that had issues with Acuna, but also his own teammates (not because of of the HR trot, but the long single):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/sport/braves-teammates-call-out-ronald-acuna-jr-for-lack-of-hustle/index.html

Yes, the HR pose is fun (I still contend that Reggie Jackson invented it - at least the modern version) and MLB definitely needs to allow that kind of fun in the game to draw younger viewers (and I think they do). However, it seems anyone who get's upset by those types of antics is labeled as as a "Get off my lawn", "holier than thou", baseball purist that doesn't know how to have fun. Sometimes these antics are ill-timed and come across as selfish and more about ego than about helping your team win and being smart about playing the game. Acuna had a great night at he plate, but clearly some of his teammates feel he could use some maturity. He is young, so hopefully that will come and he'll learn when to pose and when to hustle.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 10:12 AM Post
Congratulations to Gavin Lux, the 21-year old from Kenosha, who hit a home run for the Dodgers last night.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
homer said:

Wasn't just the Cards that had issues with Acuna, but also his own teammates (not because of of the HR trot, but the long single):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/sport/braves-teammates-call-out-ronald-acuna-jr-for-lack-of-hustle/index.html

Yes, the HR pose is fun (I still contend that Reggie Jackson invented it - at least the modern version) and MLB definitely needs to allow that kind of fun in the game to draw younger viewers (and I think they do). However, it seems anyone who get's upset by those types of antics is labeled as as a "Get off my lawn", "holier than thou", baseball purist that doesn't know how to have fun. Sometimes these antics are ill-timed and come across as selfish and more about ego than about helping your team win and being smart about playing the game. Acuna had a great night at he plate, but clearly some of his teammates feel he could use some maturity. He is young, so hopefully that will come and he'll learn when to pose and when to hustle.

The HR pose is for one purpose, to bring attention to yourself! The "fun" is watching 'all for myself' players like Acuna when he does his pose and the ball doesn't go out. Last night he may have cost the Braves the game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
The HR pose is for one purpose, to bring attention to yourself! The "fun" is watching 'all for myself' players like Acuna when he does his pose and the ball doesn't go out. Last night he may have cost the Braves the game.

Ooh, be careful wntrtxn, that kind of talk is not popular and you will be accused of just being dead wrong for having that opinion and possibly labeled as someone who just wants to take the fun out of everything and hates any type of change.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Patrick425 said:
homer said:

agreed.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 1:18 PM Post
I think it’s more likely that the Braves pitching staff cost them the game, 7 runs in will beat you more often than not. Maybe they should have performed better.

Laying the blame on an electrifying 21 year old who went 3/4 with a walk and a 2-run HR is asinine.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 7:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
There's never not going to be old-school baseball guys who don't get their feelings hurt by guys who don't "play the right way". It's stupid but that's how it is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 7:58 PM Post
Remember kids: There is no smiling or celebrating in baseball otherwise old guys will not like you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 04, 2019, 11:31 PM Post
My favorite part of this Cards/Acuna "Right Way" nonsense was Carlos Martinez almost moonwalking (https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/statu ... 84578?s=20) off the mound after a strike out, but then complaining about Acuna with this laughable line: "I simply want him to respect the game and respect me as a veteran player".

He'd probably respect you if you could get him out, Carlos.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 05, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
The Cards must be exhausting to be a part of. I've never in any other sport found another team so focused on doing things the 'way' they feel they should be done.... they WON this game. Focus on the joy of winning, not the anger that some dude watched his HR. YOU had the last laugh, Cards. Don't be so exhausting.

It's like the co-worker we all have that freaks out anytime something comes up unplanned during their day and they can't handle it not going the way they think it should go. Calm down and move on.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next  [ 777 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply