LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next  [ 881 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: October 08, 2019, 1:28 PM Post
Yes, lets cater to the punk and get him who he wants to manage... He isn't good enough to have a lot of input on such things imo.

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that Manny Machado wants the Padres "to at least take a look at" his former manager Buck Showalter as they interview Andy Green's replacement.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network recently wrote that it's believed that the Padres are "putting a premium on experience," so Showalter would fit into this. It also makes sense that Machado would vouch for his former skipper in Baltimore, but it's unclear if he's a serious candidate. Braves third base coach Ron Washington, who previously worked with A.J. Preller in Texas, is being considered by the Padres as well as less-experienced candidates like Mark Kotsay and Mark Loretta.

SOURCE: Buster Olney on Twitter
Oct 8, 2019, 1:17 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 08, 2019, 7:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
As mentioned way back on page 18 of this thread, there are rumors of the A’s considering a move to Las Vegas.

From Sal Castaneda earlier today...

Just now Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf confirmed MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said A's might move to Las Vegas as a result of Oakland filing lawsuit against the team.

Maybe it’s just a bluff from MLB, but worth keeping an eye on going forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 08, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Yes, lets cater to the punk and get him who he wants to manage... He isn't good enough to have a lot of input on such things imo.

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that Manny Machado wants the Padres "to at least take a look at" his former manager Buck Showalter as they interview Andy Green's replacement.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network recently wrote that it's believed that the Padres are "putting a premium on experience," so Showalter would fit into this. It also makes sense that Machado would vouch for his former skipper in Baltimore, but it's unclear if he's a serious candidate. Braves third base coach Ron Washington, who previously worked with A.J. Preller in Texas, is being considered by the Padres as well as less-experienced candidates like Mark Kotsay and Mark Loretta.

From 2012-17 Manny & Buck's Orioles won the 6th most games in MLB & made the postseason three times (lost the WC, DS & CS once each), so they've had some success together.

Showalter is pretty well regarded around the league, too, so it's not like they'd just be hiring him on Machado's recommendation.

Cool to see Loretta's name popping up on the Managerial Hot Stove this offseason, hopefully he gets a shot somewhere.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 08, 2019, 8:08 PM Post
turborickey said:

I really don't see what the big deal is. He's not demanding, just suggesting. And suggesting someone who has had quite a bit of success as a manager before.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 09, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
Eye Black said:
As mentioned way back on page 18 of this thread, there are rumors of the A’s considering a move to Las Vegas.

From Sal Castaneda earlier today...

Just now Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf confirmed MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said A's might move to Las Vegas as a result of Oakland filing lawsuit against the team.

Maybe it’s just a bluff from MLB, but worth keeping an eye on going forward.

Yes this is the first step in trying to extort money from Oakland for a new stadium. If that fails, which I think it will, then it's game on. In this case though, you kind of have to agree with the team that a new stadium is gravely needed. It's not like so many other situations where it's not but they demand anyway. I also wanna say there is some weird legal thing about any new builds in the area have to go to housing first, something odd like that. Maybe I actually read it in this thread, I don't recall. So beyond the normal finance issues there is that to deal with in Oak.

Another note way back to when I brought up Vegas at the beginning of this talk is that the Rio has been sold since then as was part of the rumor of this whole grand plan. One thing to note relative to MKE is one of the new owners is a minority owner of the Bucks.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/ ... m-1855014/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 09, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
I still want to know what the plan would be for the AAA team that just built a brand new stadium 15 minutes away from the proposed stadium locations (Rio site and Henderson). For the life of me I thought there was a MLB rule that prohibited a MLB team and AAA in the same city. For that reason, it all just feels like a bluff to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2019, 8:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
Kapler, plus the pitching/hitting coaches & head/assistant trainers, fired in Philly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2019, 9:10 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Kapler, plus the pitching/hitting coaches & head/assistant trainers, fired in Philly.

And they'll hire some big name to replace him. And then go out and spend a ton of money again. And they will be one of the darlings going into the 2020 season yet again, and fall short because they have no clue how to actually build a winning team. Just like the Mets.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2019, 9:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I still want to know what the plan would be for the AAA team that just built a brand new stadium 15 minutes away from the proposed stadium locations (Rio site and Henderson). For the life of me I thought there was a MLB rule that prohibited a MLB team and AAA in the same city. For that reason, it all just feels like a bluff to me.

I don't know if there's a rule but if MLB wanted an MLB team in Las Vegas you can bet the AAA team would be outta there. Denver Zephyrs moved to New Orleans when the Rockies started up.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2019, 9:23 AM Post
Oakland doesn't deserve the A's. I'd support them moving. If any pro team has a valid claim for a better stadium, it's them. I'm generally against it when teams whine for new stadiums. I supported the Bucks because I just wanted the Bucks to have a new stadium, but impartially, I understand people who are against it. But the A's been so successful with such constraints...if they can't get the place to spring for a new park, they should leave.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Misc MLB News
Posted: October 10, 2019, 12:10 PM Post
Oakland & Tampa have the worst stadium situations.
At least people are still showing up in Oakland. Can't say that with Tampa.

I would favor Tampa moving 1st..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 11, 2019, 2:57 PM Post
If you didn't hate the Cardinals enough already, head over to Twitter and watch Mike Schilt's profanity-laced post game speech after they beat the Braves. To sum it up for you, the Braves "started something" and the Cardinals "finished it" (you can mentally add a bunch of F bombs where ever you like to get the full feel of it).

What it must feel like to a member of the Cardinals where you view everything that happens on the field through the lens of respect or playing the "right way" or any other crap. If you haven't yet, go read "Three Nights in August" to get in the head of Tony LaRussa. One of the things he laments in the book is how every time one of his batters get hit he needs to decide if it was on purpose and how and when to retaliate. Nothing would make me happier than to see that whole organization burned to the ground and the ashes shot into the sun.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 11, 2019, 5:05 PM Post
There’s lots of interest for the As in the Bay Area. When I was in college there 20 years ago, they announced plans to build a ballpark adjacent to Six Flags in San Jose. I think They’ve announced similar plans several other times, but to no avail. The Giants’ territorial rights are too strong. I’d love the As in Vegas. Great town. The AAA team would likely move.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 11, 2019, 9:33 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
sveumrules said:

And they'll hire some big name to replace him. And then go out and spend a ton of money again. And they will be one of the darlings going into the 2020 season yet again, and fall short because they have no clue how to actually build a winning team. Just like the Mets.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't disagree with this but Kapler really was a bad manager as well, hard to fault them for this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 11, 2019, 9:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
If you didn't hate the Cardinals enough already, head over to Twitter and watch Mike Schilt's profanity-laced post game speech after they beat the Braves. To sum it up for you, the Braves "started something" and the Cardinals "finished it" (you can mentally add a bunch of F bombs where ever you like to get the full feel of it).

What it must feel like to a member of the Cardinals where you view everything that happens on the field through the lens of respect or playing the "right way" or any other crap. If you haven't yet, go read "Three Nights in August" to get in the head of Tony LaRussa. One of the things he laments in the book is how every time one of his batters get hit he needs to decide if it was on purpose and how and when to retaliate. Nothing would make me happier than to see that whole organization burned to the ground and the ashes shot into the sun.

Also, Molina had a bat flip to end all bat flips. Moron.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/nlds-c ... c-bat-flip

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 12, 2019, 8:28 AM Post
homer said:
jerichoholicninja said:

I thought of this exact scenario. Cardinals have their own double standard on things. It’s only disrespectful if it’s against them. I can only imagine the postgame comments from the Cardinals’ clubhouse if someone else were to do that after beating them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 12, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
RollieTime said:
homer said:
jerichoholicninja said:

I thought of this exact scenario. Cardinals have their own double standard on things. It’s only disrespectful if it’s against them. I can only imagine the postgame comments from the Cardinals’ clubhouse if someone else were to do that after beating them.

I can't wait till Molina is gone. Biggest piece of trash to ever step on a baseball field. The final Saturday of the season his antics led to the benches clearing against the Cubs. Hamels lightly grazed his jersey on a pitch that was probably an inch off the plate. Hamels immediately turned around disgusted with himself for the pitch while Molina immediately started jaw jacking at him. Like really. Get over yourself trash bag.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2019, 3:50 PM Post
This is the first decade since 1910 -19 that the Yankees didn't appear in a single World Series.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
This is the first decade since 1910 -19 that the Yankees didn't appear in a single World Series.

O Happy Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMIfR6LfGZ0

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 23, 2019, 12:07 PM Post
After winning the ALCS, Astros assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of 3 female reporters in the locker room after the game and yelled roughly half a dozen times “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so glad we got Osuna!”. This was after Osuna blew the save in the 9th inning. Taubman appeared to be directing his statement mostly toward a woman that was wearing a bracelet to raise awareness for domestic violence. Another Astros employee also reportedly apologized to the women for Taubman’s behavior immediately after the outburst.

The Astros were aggressive in their defense of Taubman, stating “The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible. An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else – they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated’s attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist”.

Taubman issued a statement on Tuesday saying “This past Saturday, during our clubhouse celebration, I used inappropriate language for which I am deeply sorry and embarrassed. In retrospect, I realized that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misinterpreted as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive and charitable member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do not know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions”.

Major League Baseball has stated that they will be investigating the incident. From what I have read, the Astros have still not retracted their statement on Taubman. Taubman himself has admitted to the accusations and released a statement about it, but the Astros have still not yet released a statement either apologizing to the reporters or retracting their initial statement.

In my opinion, Taubman’s apology was a non-apology. He doesn’t have true remorse for his actions and is only sorry if people are offended by his statement. The Astros have created their own firestorm around their franchise and deserve all the backlash that is going to be heading their way. They should of stated that there would be an internal investigation and leave it at that. But deliberately throwing the reporter under the bus after she was verbally attacked by a front office member and saying that she is lying about the information is just plain pathetic. Especially when Taubman’s sole intent of targeting her was because of her involvement in domestic violence issues.

I don’t see how Taubman keeps his job and I don’t see why anyone else would ever want to touch him with a 100 foot pole after how he handled himself and shown the world how insensitive he is about domestic violence.

Last edited by RollieTime on October 23, 2019, 12:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next  [ 881 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply