LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next  [ 330 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $16 million. Mutual option for 2020.

Online  Re: Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $18.25 million
Posted: January 10, 2019, 3:37 PM Post
sveumrules said:
Underachiever said:
Regarding the thought of trading Thames...is there a market for him? And if there is, is there any chance that a trade wouldn't require Milwaukee sending money along with it? That would negate some of the $6 million salary relief talked about.

Apologies if already mentioned. I haven't combed the entire thread. I am just not real high on Thames.

Justin Bour is 31 & put up a 126 OPS+ between 2017 & 2018 in 930 PAs. He is getting 1/2.5 million for 2019.

Matt Adams is 30 & put up a 110 OPS+ between 2017 & 2018 in 704 PAs. He is getting 1/3 million for 2019 with a million dollar buyout on a 2020 option.

Eric Thames is 32 & put up a 119 OPS+ between 2017 & 2018 in 829 PAs. At 1/6 million for 2019 plus the million buyout for 2020 he probably has slightly negative value with guys like Lucas Duda (33, 109 OPS in 858 2018-18 PAs) & Logan Morrison (31, 110 OPS+ in 960 2017-18 PAs) still out there looking for teams.

In fairness to Thames, he does have flexibility to play OF. I don't think any of those guys do. I think Thames is closer to Bour/Adams in talent than the other two, and frankly I'm a bit surprised those guys took the deals they did. Adams had a solid year...he probably could have done better than $3 million, Bour had a bit of a down year but clearly is talented. Morrison frankly was a 1 year wonder and was basically trash his entire career aside from 2017. Overall I'd rank these guys Adams, Thames, Bour, Duda, massive gap, Morrison in terms of bat talent. Thames versatility is a bit of a bonus.

In Thames favor is he's probably the best LH 1b available as Bour/Adams have signed. I'm not trying to say he has significant surplus value, but I think we could get someone to take most or all of his salary and give us someone interesting in the low minors. Probably not quite as much as the lind deal, but maybe 1 or 2 players in return instead of 3. Would you give Thames and $2 million for 2 rookie ball pitchers with promise similar to the lind deal?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $18.25 million
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:10 PM Post
But WAR is supposed to tell everyone that Thames is valued at 7.65M after last season and he's making 6M so yay for us [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:18 PM Post
Humans Need Water said:
Chacin, Chase, Davies, Wade, Guerra, Suter, Peralta, Gio were in true starter roles and they combined to start 157 games and 73% of those games they went 5+ innings. The vast, vast majority of the rest of those games they were pulled in 4th or 5th inning due to struggling - it wasn't because of some strategy involving seeing their order once.

CC was on record saying he was only looking for 17 outs from the SP or something along those lines. Before the game started CC already knew when he was going to pull the SP independent of how the game was going.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Back on topic here...

If anyone has doubts about this signing, this is a pretty interesting article...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/during-slow-offseasons-the-brewers-keep-finding-deals/

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $18.25 million
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
topper09er said:
Humans Need Water said:
Chacin, Chase, Davies, Wade, Guerra, Suter, Peralta, Gio were in true starter roles and they combined to start 157 games and 73% of those games they went 5+ innings. The vast, vast majority of the rest of those games they were pulled in 4th or 5th inning due to struggling - it wasn't because of some strategy involving seeing their order once.

CC was on record saying he was only looking for 17 outs from the SP or something along those lines. Before the game started CC already knew when he was going to pull the SP independent of how the game was going.

Frankly, I can't believe CC would say something so stupid and ridiculous. So if one of our pitchers was throwing a perfect game through 17 outs...he's pulling him anyway. No way would CC back himself into a corner like that. Unless you have a source, I wouldn't buy that for a second.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:46 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Frankly, I can't believe CC would say something so stupid and ridiculous. So if one of our pitchers was throwing a perfect game through 17 outs...he's pulling him anyway. No way would CC back himself into a corner like that. Unless you have a source, I wouldn't buy that for a second.

It was after a Chacin start and I also remember he said it and my reaction was the same as yours. Why would he fix a number of outs without knowing the game situation/history. But I remember it too and the 17 stuck in my head.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 4:50 PM Post
Can we please have a new thread for discussions of CC's use of the pitching staff and another for the trade value of Thames... this one is waaay off the rails... [sad]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 5:54 PM Post
So... random thoughts on Grandal.

1) http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=1185070#p1185070

B) Maybe the plan all along was for Kratz to mentor Nottingham at AAA this year, and to find another catcher on a one-year deal.

3) I have yet to see anyone correctly retroactively project Grandal's 2018 numbers based on his spray charts. In order to retroactively project his 2018, you need two components:
1 - Take his home spray chart except for games against the Brewers and apply it to Miller Park's dimensions
2 - Keep the rest of his stats the same as those won't change.

Everything I see is applying his spray chart for all games to Miller Park, but only 81 of his games would have been played there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 6:27 PM Post
Ricky_Bobby said:
Y'all are crazy if you guys think Grandall is worth 18.56% of our (current/pre-arbitration) 2019 payroll. We could have made the Bumgarner trade and signed Lowrie and still have money left over. Way too much money and players in the clubhouse are all (except Braun) going to know how much less they make then this 30 year old catcher...
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/payroll/

Lowrie signed for $10-11M and Bumgarner is making $12M. Combined they make a lot more than Grandall.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
So has Grandal ever played 2nd base?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:56 PM Post
Stearns is doing something that is almost unprecedented in baseball today. He is somehow building a current winner and focusing on the future simultaneously. He has done a great job of putting a team together, while also keeping our top prospects in Milwaukee (apart from the Yelich deal). I know we moved a few guys over like Kodi Medreios at the break, but we kept a lot of guys that seem to be circulating constantly in rumors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 9:00 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
TexasCheesehead said:
Stearns is doing something that is almost unprecedented in baseball today. He is somehow building a current winner and focusing on the future simultaneously. He has done a great job of putting a team together, while also keeping our top prospects in Milwaukee (apart from the Yelich deal). I know we moved a few guys over like Kodi Medreios at the break, but we kept a lot of guys that seem to be circulating constantly in rumors.

I've wondered often in the last year+ what TheCrew07 would have to say about Stearns's approach. Seems like it's 100% what he was always wishing for.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 9:05 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
So has Grandal ever played 2nd base?

I'm still hoping we can teach Bartolo Colon 2B. That would solve our issues entirely. Fielding might be somewhat of a liability, but his presence at the plate would help us score more runs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
TooLiveBrew said:
I've wondered often in the last year+ what TheCrew07 would have to say about Stearns's approach. Seems like it's 100% what he was always wishing for.

I’ve wondered along these same lines. Hoping someday he makes a return to the site.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2019, 10:26 AM Post
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the- ... hese-days/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
markedman5 said:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-yasmani-grandal-signing-shows-why-the-brewers-might-be-the-most-opportunistic-team-in-mlb-these-days/

That’s a good summary of DS and the organization as a whole. They’re likely using those huge 2017 profits for this year and next. Let’s get a title!

Valar Morghulis

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2019, 2:50 PM Post
Eye Black said:
TooLiveBrew said:

I’ve wondered along these same lines. Hoping someday he makes a return to the site.

Maybe they are one and the same?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2019, 3:15 PM Post
topper09er said:
Humans Need Water said:

He can say whatever he wants. But what I just stated actually happened. 73% of the time the rotation arms pitched 5+ innings. 17 outs also equals 5.2 innings pitched. He didn't say 17 batters he said 17 outs. Look at how many 5.2 outings rotation arms had - it'll show CC made a decision based on how the game was going.

It goes to what I've been saying the past month, which is what my responses have been about and not some one time through the order strategy people keep pushing. They're going to be treated as typical starters. If they're super good they're going 7. If they're good/solid they're going 5-6. If they're struggling they're pulled in the 3rd and 4th and this 25% of the time situation is where it greatly benefits us having Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta/Guerra types as they can (1) stop the bleeding keeping our offense in the game and (2) eat up 3 innings to get the game into the 6-7th inning only using 2 pitchers - which is no different than a starter going 5-6 innings with a pen arm going 1. Like I said, this isn't a one time through the order approach - it's a versatility approach.

Back to the topic at hand, which I honestly have no idea why it's at this many posts to begin with as there's really nothing to say other than Grandal signing was excellent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2019, 3:47 PM Post
Humans Need Water said:
topper09er said:
Humans Need Water said:

He can say whatever he wants. But what I just stated actually happened. 73% of the time the rotation arms pitched 5+ innings. 17 outs also equals 5.2 innings pitched. He didn't say 17 batters he said 17 outs. Look at how many 5.2 outings rotation arms had - it'll show CC made a decision based on how the game was going.

In my fantasy baseball league we use quality starts as a one of our stats. Of course, you need to complete 6 innings and allow 3 ER or less to get a QS. I didn't have any Brewer pitchers on my team last year but of the starters that I did have, it was very common for multiple starters go 5.1 or 5.2 innings and allow 3 ER's or less in a week. I even complained to the members of my league about it, that it was getting frustrating how often one of my pitchers finished an out or two shy of a quality start. Makes me think that Counsell and Co's thinking is in line with most of the rest of the league. The Brewers just happened to do it with every starter and had the best record in the NL so they got all the attention for it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
Everything I see is applying his spray chart for all games to Miller Park, but only 81 of his games would have been played there.

Yeah, that was pointed out in the original tweet with the Miller Park overlay, but in hindsight should have been reiterated in the post with the image. One thing I have seen mentioned is that while the NL West ballparks generally skew pitchers parks, Dodgers Stadium is actually above average in allowing home runs. Not nearly to the extent of Miller Park, but still more homerun friendly than it is generally considered.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next  [ 330 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply