LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mets get Lowrie - 2 year deal, $20M

Offline  Re: Mets get Lowrie - 2 year deal

Posted: January 10, 2019, 5:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
MNBrew said:
The Mets are hoarding second basemen. Last year's starter (Jeff McNeil) was bumped off the position by Robinson Cano. By adding Lowrie they seem to have 3 starting 2B. Weird!

It was only a 63 game sample, but the lefty hitting Jeff McNeil was very really good last year. I know he can also play 3B, but it does seem like they are building a lot of redundancy unless something else gives.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mets get Lowrie - 2 year deal, $20M

Posted: January 10, 2019, 5:56 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Not interested in a 35 year old middle infielder on a two year deal. Especially one who has been horribly inconsistent his whole career. His BA has been rather constant but where did the 20+ points of OBP and 30-40 points of SLUG come from the last two years and is it at all sustainable at his age?

Exactly. Easy pass for me. That goes for most of the other aging 2B's that were available. I have a hunch we're going to be laughing about most of them the way we laughed about Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn this past season.

The fact that the Mets went for him just makes me more confident that it's a bad investment. [laughing]

(I realize it's a new gm, but it's a similar impatient win-now organizational philosophy IMO.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
Gonzalez seems always to have made the most sense. You can go more than one year with him, because he could fit multiple ways once Hiura comes up and also because he's younger than other options (about 5 years younger than Lowrie, about 2 years younger than Dozier). I wonder what he'll get and how far Stearns is willing to go for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
Might be time for Stearns to call the Marlins about Castro.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:00 PM Post
I'm thrilled with Grandal. Would rather have him on a 1 year deal for sure.

I just wanted both. O well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:16 PM Post
Castro FO Anderson

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:45 PM Post
gregmag said:
Gonzalez seems always to have made the most sense. You can go more than one year with him, because he could fit multiple ways once Hiura comes up and also because he's younger than other options (about 5 years younger than Lowrie, about 2 years younger than Dozier). I wonder what he'll get and how far Stearns is willing to go for him.

Gonzalez makes sense for about 20 teams. I can't believe he hasn't signed yet and there hasn't been all that much news about him. I would think when his time comes he should have enough suitors to drive his price up a little. Not like crazy, but enough that will put him out of our price range.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
I wouldn't be surprised if offers kept trickling up and up and up for gonzalez, thus the delay. As noted, pretty much every borderline contender could use him.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mets get Lowrie - 2 year deal

Posted: January 11, 2019, 7:49 AM Post
502 to Right said:
Not cool.

Riding high with the signing of Grandal and then punched in the face with Dozier and Lowrie immediately signing elsewhere.

I assume that is probably not a coincidence.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply