LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Lineup Thread (Batting Order)

Offline  Re: 2019 Lineup Thread (Batting Order)

Posted: April 28, 2019, 8:31 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Sit Braun and play Taylor after calling him up. Braun can pinch hit. Call up Hiura and play him at second. Moose to third. Sit Shaw. He can pinch hit. Do this for the entire homestand. No Aguilar No Shaw No Braun

Who do you get rid of? Aguilar, Perez, Pina, Braun, Shaw, and Gamel (.375 OBP - great D). To bring Taylor up Gamel would have to go down because of Braun. Pina is the only other catcher. Perez backs up at every position and Shaw is too good to let go. Do you DFA Aguilar?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 28, 2019, 8:39 PM Post
JosephC said:
No longer buying the "Braun still hits lefties" commentary after today's ballgame. Braun should not be placed above #6 in the batting order against any pitcher until he puts up a solid 2 weeks of at-bats together. Good grief, the guy is down to a .245 OBP overall and against lefties he's slashed .179/.258/.383/.651...and there he is back in the #3 spot because he was a really great hitter three years ago.

Extensive commentary on Aguilar isn't even needed at this point. Even against lefties, he probably should be hitting 7th in the batting order.

I was all for getting Hernan some more at-bats because he started off pretty well this year, but not surprisingly he is fading fast.

Having Braun at #3, Aguilar at #4 and Perez at #6 to begin a ballgame is almost asking for a loss. If I was the opposing manager and saw this, Yelich would be intentionally walked 90% of the time.

Braun is looking like he is washed-up. Steady decline and now can't hit anything. Aguilar is all screwed up and needs to go down to work on things. Problem is Stearns can't send him down w/o his OK or expose him to other teams. Shaw is also screwed up badly. He's looking at too many pitches and pulling off the ball too often. It sure doesn't seem like the new hitting coach can help any of them. Have to wonder about the new pitching coach too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 4:48 AM Post
Somehow they have the worst hitters, pitchers, and coaches in baseball and still are above .500 against the strongest schedule in MLB (blue).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rpi

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
How much better does our lineup look with a potential Huira call up in June?

CF:Cain
2B:Huira
RF:Yelich
3B:Moose
C:Grandal
1B:Shaw or Thames
LF:Braun/Gamel
SS:Arcia

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
Would look even better if Yelich remained where he should be, at #2. Not only because that's where you want your best hitter, but also because it alternates R-L-R-L at the top of the lineup. But yeah, I'm hoping for a relatively early callup too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
CF: Cain
RF: Yelich
3B: Moose
C: Grandal
1B: Shaw
2B: Hiura
LF: Thames
SS: Arica
P: Woodruff

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 3:29 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:

Who gets sent down to add Huira? With all the problems CC has with the bullpen, he needs 8 guys out there. With only 4 bench players, Perez is invaluable. Thames is a butcher in the OF so Gamel is needed to replace Braun and Pina is the only other catcher. Stearns isn't going to let Shaw go and Aguilar can't be sent down w/o exposing him to other teams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 7:45 AM Post
With Braun’s permanent, age related regression, there needs to be a hard platoon with Gamel. That, with Aguilar’s new found confidence, Arcia’s moderate improvement, we just have one massive black hole > Shaw. Drop him down to 8th in the batting order, where he won’t kill as many rally’s. When he gets going this offense should be what we thought it would be going into the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Shaw 8th?

Naw, that is silly talk imo.

Arcia needs to stay at 8th, hitting or not.

I can see Shaw at 7, but not 8.

I agree about Braun though. Gamel has done nothing but earn a buttload more playing time. Braun is only playing because he is still on the team, and he is Ryan Braun.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
It's silly to give up on anyone at this time of the season. Hopefully, Counsell keeps managing peoples playing time and getting all of our players producing.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Vollbc74 said:

Who gets sent down to add Huira? With all the problems CC has with the bullpen, he needs 8 guys out there. With only 4 bench players, Perez is invaluable. Thames is a butcher in the OF so Gamel is needed to replace Braun and Pina is the only other catcher. Stearns isn't going to let Shaw go and Aguilar can't be sent down w/o exposing him to other teams.

Hopefully, by the time Hiura is ready to come up (which could be argued that time is now) the bull pen will have sorted itself out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
At this point there is no reason to play Braun vs RHP or Shaw vs LHP. Aggy and Thames should be a soft platoon with Thames getting nearly all RHP.

Vs RHP

Cain
Yelich
Moose
Grandal
Thames
Shaw
Arcia
Gamel
P

Vs LHP

Cain
Yelich
Moose
Grandal
Aggy
Braun
Perez
Arcia
P

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
Hard platoons is just not a good way to use your roster. CC knows this and won't ever stick to just one lineup versus a certain handed pitcher. This is a video game type talk.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 12:58 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Hard platoons is just not a good way to use your roster. CC knows this and won't ever stick to just one lineup versus a certain handed pitcher. This is a video game type talk.

Shaw has a sub 300 OPS against LHP this year (729->285)

Using him vs LHP at this point is irresponsible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 1:40 PM Post
turborickey said:
Shaw 8th?

Naw, that is silly talk imo.

Arcia needs to stay at 8th, hitting or not.

I can see Shaw at 7, but not 8.

I agree about Braun though. Gamel has done nothing but earn a buttload more playing time. Braun is only playing because he is still on the team, and he is Ryan Braun.

Fine then bat him 7th. He has single-handedly killed more rallies than just about any player I’ve ever seen in one month. Wait, let me restate that, Travis Shaw has killed more rallies than any player I’ve ever seen in my entire life in one month.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:41 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
Brew4U said:

Shaw has a sub 300 OPS against LHP this year (729->285)

Using him vs LHP at this point is irresponsible.

Managing his at bats vs lhp is one thing. Never seeing a lefty is the irresponsible thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 6:35 AM Post
Cain might be the one they need to start giving more days off to. Over his last 100 at bats he’s slashing .221/.270/.356/.626 and against RHP this year he’s slashing .245/.310/.321/.631. His OPS plus sits currently at 89 and we know his exit velo has been league average at best.

Now, Cain’s defense puts him in a different category than most but some start against RHP for Gamel or Yelich in CF with Cain coming in to replace wouldn’t be the worst thing right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 12:03 PM Post
Does Travis Shaw have options? Seems like swapping he and Hiura for at least a few weeks could help everybody.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
Oxy said:
Does Travis Shaw have options? Seems like swapping he and Hiura for at least a few weeks could help everybody.

I believe he does. I'd say that there are three ways to get Hiura to the majors:

1. As you suggest, Shaw optioned.
2. Takes Thames/Aguilar roster spot. Which would be ideal from a roster composition point of view if either had options, but they don't. Not (yet) worth losing either one of them just to audition Hiura.
3. Go with a 12-man pitching staff for a while. If there are a bunch of off days coming up, or starters go long allowing bullpen to rest.

There are other ways to do it of course, like optioning Gamel, but none of them make any real sense. Would love to see him up here to see what he can do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
26% in, and now that we know our weakness is NOT our pitching, but our hitting, what to do if anything?

The good:
1.) Yelich
2.) Arcia
3.) Moose
4.) Gamel

The bad:
1.) Grandal
2.) Braun
3.) Thames
4.) Peréz

The ugly:
1.) Shaw
2.) Aguilar
3.) Cain

Can’t have 3 ugly’s. Aguilar is close to the bad category, Cain not so much, and Shaw I have no words.

If this team has at some point half good and half bad, with no uglies, we should be in good shape, just not sure we can get there with-out a call-up and or trade.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply