LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Stearns promoted to President Baseball Ops - contract extension

Offline  Re: Stearns promoted to President Baseball Ops - contract extension

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:44 PM Post
This news made me as excited as signing Grandal. Huge to promote David and lock him up. Was starting to get pretty nervous a big market club would give him an offer he couldn't refuse. This should keep him here for probably another 4-5 years minimum.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:46 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
This news made me as excited as signing Grandal.

Did you need a book?

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 4:40 PM Post
Awesome news. They don’t release figures, but I hope he got a big raise.

Milwaukee is an incredible baseball town. It’s something like 30th in market size and 12th in attendance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:16 PM Post
https://web.archive.org/web/20190111170 ... ont-office

Here is the website of the org chart prior to today's promotion. What exactly is the change? There was nobody that had title. Looks like it is really just a title change but will still assume the same responsibilities.

For example, my job description is technically just structural engineer...but I also do computer programming, manage people, and many other things that aren't really a part of my technical job description.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
zurch1818 said:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190111170159/https://www.mlb.com/brewers/team/front-office

Here is the website of the org chart prior to today's promotion. What exactly is the change? There was nobody that had title. Looks like it is really just a title change but will still assume the same responsibilities.

For example, my job description is technically just structural engineer...but I also do computer programming, manage people, and many other things that aren't really a part of my technical job description.

That's exactly what this is and it is becoming common place in pro sports. Create a "new" position for a guy with a new title that's essentially the same job he had before but sounds more impressive so you can promote him and prevent another team from coming after him. In a couple years teams are going to start creating a new position above President of Baseball Operations for this same reason. Probably something like "Despot of All Encompassing Baseball-Related Endeavors".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:48 PM Post
David Stearns is actually a two job man now. His new title and he is still General Manager. They would have to promote someone to GM to make Stearns a one job kind of guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 9:13 PM Post
That makes a ton of sense. I'm happy for him if he got a well-deserved raise...but as a fan, I'm not really that excited. We still have the same person pulling the same strings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 2:16 AM Post
Great news on the promotion/extension, Stearns is a young guy hope he received a 10 years extension at least. Doug Melvin was Brewers GM for 14 years, I want/expect to see Stearns as Brewers GM/President a lot longer than that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 2:26 AM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
This news made me as excited as signing Grandal. Huge to promote David and lock him up. Was starting to get pretty nervous a big market club would give him an offer he couldn't refuse. This should keep him here for probably another 4-5 years minimum.

Same here. I was worried he'd be aggressively pursued by the next big market East Coast team in need of a GM. I love the continuity and I love the random FA signings that come out of nowhere and that nobody has reported on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm glad he likes it here and glad that they extended him. He has shown himself to be pretty adept at building a major league roster. It's still too early to assess his handling of the draft and minor leaguers. But I'm glad he plans to stay.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 5:21 AM Post
zurch1818 said:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190111170159/https://www.mlb.com/brewers/team/front-office

The biggest news is the contract extension. The main point of the promotion is to keep him from being poached by other teams. Rejecting approaches from other teams for what is seen as a promotion isn't a wise choice in the long run; Brewers basically had to make this move after rejecting the approach from the Giants. I mean they probably considered doing it anyway, but that sealed the deal. Remains to be seen whether it means any real change in his duties; my impression was that he basically had the same kind of control that a PBO does in other organizations.

Which also brings me to the issue of PBO in general. I sort of get it when it comes to a guy like Billy Beane, a reward for long and faithful and successful service. It's a way to give a pay rise to your current guy, while still paying the next guy (initially anyway) like a normal GM by simply hiring him as a GM and not PBO. But I also don't see why this isn't abused more; assuming a club can afford a pay rise (Which they all can), why don't more clubs simply make their GM into a PBO, preventing other teams from poaching them, and making it easier to poach a succesful GM from other teams? Isn't it just a paper excercise, creating an arms race that will eventually see all clubs with a PBO, creating a level playing field again. Except with clubs already paying them more. Sort of like why no team will pay minor leaguers more, even if they get an advantage in the short term. But with executives they'e already got the ball rolling so it'll be hard to stop.

Next step is to create the position of "Grand Poobah De Doink Of All This And That'

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 6:01 AM Post
Strong business move by Mark A. Play Ball !!!!!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
zurch1818 said:

A few months ago, back when there were rumors about the Mets possibly targeting Stearns for their GM position, I had looked at this organizational chart and seem to remember that Doug Melvin was listed as President and Senior Advisor. I can't prove that but I wouldn't be surprised that the site may have been updated in anticipation of this move to "promote" Stearns.

I've been pretty much expecting that the Brewers would make this move with Stearns and I'm glad they did. I guess teams will now have to create even bigger job titles to elevate their GM's over President. Supreme Galactic Leader of Baseball Operations perhaps?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
I was expecting more contrarian posts and veiled shots at "Stearns apologists" in here.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Stearns promoted to President Baseball Ops - contract extension

Posted: March 12, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
JimH5 said:
I'm glad he likes it here and glad that they extended him. He has shown himself to be pretty adept at building a major league roster. It's still too early to assess his handling of the draft and minor leaguers. But I'm glad he plans to stay.

I’m trying to think of the words to give this man the credit that he deserves for what he has done for this franchise. In my humble opinion what he has done could go down as the best job any GM has ever done for any franchise in baseball history. Hyperbole? Exaggeration? Maybe. Maybe not. How many GM’s have started and then completed a rebuild in 17 MONTHS. In baseballs SMALLEST market. Elite roster depth. Elite analytics dept. Elite game planning. Elite culture. Elite team chemistry.
I could go on and on. The national media won’t give him the credit he deserves because they’re oblivious to the small markets. The Mets and Giants and 28 other baseball clubs know what we have and so do we fans of the brewers. I hope his extension is for 25 years. Yes I agree it’s too early to judge his handling of the draft and minor leaguers. But my prediction is he’s elite there too. Although the 2016draft at least on the pitching side is looking awfully good with Burnes,Brown and Webb just to name a few.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on March 12, 2019, 6:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2019, 12:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
There was a really interesting piece in the FanGraphs Community Research section recently which broke dwon how much value each team received in 2018 from the various sources (Draft, FA, Trade, Waivers) of player acquisition.

https://community.fangraphs.com/where-t ... e-in-2018/

TL,DR version is that the 2018 Brewers lead all of MLB in WAR acquired externally (39.2 WAR, NYY 2nd with 35.2 WAR) but were also dead last in WAR developed internally (3.9 WAR, DET 2nd worst with 4.2 WAR).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2019, 5:38 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
I was expecting more contrarian posts and veiled shots at "Stearns apologists" in here.

What's there to apologize for?

We should still be losing 100 games as we just start to get ready to rebuild under normal circumstances.

Are there that many people who follow the team but who are critical or Stearns?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2019, 6:01 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
coolhandluke121 said:

We should still be losing 100 games as we just start to get ready to rebuild under normal circumstances.

Even the casual non- brewers fan would give Stearns a nice round of applause. And the fact that he laughed at the 3-5 years 100 loss tanking concept popularized by that wealthy large market team just a little south of Milwaukee should get a standing ovation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2019, 6:07 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
HiAndTight said:
coolhandluke121 said:

Even the casual non- brewers fan would give Stearns a nice round of applause. And the fact that he laughed at the 3-5 years 100 loss tanking concept popularized by that wealthy large market team just a little south of Milwaukee should get a standing ovation.

You would certainly think so. And it's much sweater that we came back and overtook the Cubs in less time than it took them to rebuild and when they were supposed to be at their best, but how many teams(without spending half a billion dollars in the off-season) can turn things around as fast as we did?

Though I guess I do remember people were upset that Stearns wasn't doing anything when a few guys signed at the owners meetings. So I guess there's always a few....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2019, 6:32 PM Post
Rebuilt so fast national media still thinks brewers flash in the pan team. No clue. It’ll take a World Series to get there attention. Can’t wait.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply