LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 192 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun Working on a Swing Change

Offline  Re: Braun Working on a Swing Change
Posted: May 16, 2019, 2:37 PM Post
So...should he be DFA'ed yet?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2019, 3:16 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:

He only has 39 hits this year. If it wasn't for those he'd be slashing a paltry .000/.115/.000

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Braun is the typical end-of-a-big-contract MLB player. Washed up and no longer a viable starter. He's getting worse as time goes on. It's time to look for a starting RF (move Yelich back to LF) and let Braun be the RH pinch hitter and occasional LF. That would mean moving Gamel down or trading Aguilar. Corey Ray has played himself out of consideration for big league status. I don't know if Taylor is ready after a short time in AAA.

Bump. I have to believe his current numbers would put him in the top 20% of starting MLB outfielders. If you were going to hate on him when the numbers were bad, time to wear it when he moves back closer to his mean performance.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 7:06 AM Post
Even if it won't last it sure is nice to see the old run production machine back. On his RBI single yesterday he just walked up, saw the big hole on the left side and smacked the first pitch through it. It was refreshing to see when we have been leaving guys on base so much this week. It seems so easy for him when he is in a zone like he is now. Hope he can stay healthy and keep this up.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Braun Working on a Swing Change
Posted: May 17, 2019, 12:00 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:

Nope!

I wasn't sure if he'd still be able to hit. At some point every ballplayer gets to a point where they cannot even hit .200 --- early on, Braun kinda looked at times like he might be done. He's "only" 35 though. Hard to predict. I hope he keeps hitting. Willie Mays had his best season at age 34. Mays was a once in a generation type talent though. I tend to think of Braun as a HOF talent who couldn't stay healthy enough to put up HOF career numbers. As I said I hope he keeps hitting!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
G: 119
PA: 450
AB: 405
H: 107
2B: 25
3B: 1
HR: 20
RBI: 63
SB: 12
BB: 36
SO: 85

Line: .266/.329/.487/.815 with an OPS+ of 112

This is Ryan Braun's average batting line over the course of a 162 game season using his past three seasons (including this one) which is roughly 1,000 plate appearances. If you are looking for a baseline of what to expect from him, this a great place to start. Can he outperform some of these numbers? I think he can with good health. But he's also 35 so the consistency factor is always a real thing with him especially due to his lingering injuries (fingers crossed) that he seems to have stayed away from a bit this season so far.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 9:44 AM Post
TigerUppercut said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Braun is the typical end-of-a-big-contract MLB player. Washed up and no longer a viable starter. He's getting worse as time goes on. It's time to look for a starting RF (move Yelich back to LF) and let Braun be the RH pinch hitter and occasional LF. That would mean moving Gamel down or trading Aguilar. Corey Ray has played himself out of consideration for big league status. I don't know if Taylor is ready after a short time in AAA.

Bump. I have to believe his current numbers would put him in the top 20% of starting MLB outfielders. If you were going to hate on him when the numbers were bad, time to wear it when he moves back closer to his mean performance.

This is where Braun ranks among 73 MLB OF for:

fWAR (0.5) = 43/73 (his defense is still a liability)
wRC+ (118) = 34/73
wOBA (.350) = 31/73

For those who need help with the math, top 20% would be 14th place and higher...

Not quite top 20%, maybe average or slightly above average and all for only $18M... What a deal...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 9:57 AM Post
xisxisxis said:
TigerUppercut said:
wntrtxn21 said:

wRC+ (118) = 34/73
wOBA (.350) = 31/73

For those who need help with the math, top 20% would be 14th place and higher...

Not quite top 20%, maybe average or slightly above average and all for only $18M... What a deal...

You have no argument here. Braun is a veteran player at the end of his deal. There are no other options other than just playing out the string. It's a guaranteed contract, so if they cut him, they eat it. No one is going to trade for it. What are you arguing for here ... because it seems to me that you are complaining simply to complain.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
xisxisxis said:
TigerUppercut said:
wntrtxn21 said:

wRC+ (118) = 34/73
wOBA (.350) = 31/73

Given the season has started, why do salaries and "deals" matter? If I told you before the season, without taking salary into consideration and telling you who the team was, that your team's 3rd outfielder would be above league average, I think most would be reasonable to take it and not care what the money that's already been spent was.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
He's having a nice season but yesterday's game was not one of his best moments. To make a boneheaded throw that costs a run and then go into complete chase mode with the bases loaded in the 9th when we had them on the ropes were both things you would expect from Hiura, not Braun. He's been around way too long to be looking like a rookie mentally as he did last night.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 10:48 AM Post
adambr2 said:
He's having a nice season but yesterday's game was not one of his best moments. To make a boneheaded throw that costs a run and then go into complete chase mode with the bases loaded in the 9th when we had them on the ropes were both things you would expect from Hiura, not Braun. He's been around way too long to be looking like a rookie mentally as he did last night.

To be fair. I think Acuna would have scored anyway, but I agree.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
adambr2 said:

To be fair. I think Acuna would have scored anyway, but I agree.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/video/markak ... efault-vtp

Didn't look like Acuna was even planning on trying. He was a dead duck with any good throw with Braun's momentum already taking him toward home.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 27, 2019, 1:07 PM Post
Braun’s May Line: .403/.474/.642/1.115 in 76 plate appearances

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 27, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
TigerUppercut said:

Given the season has started, why do salaries and "deals" matter? If I told you before the season, without taking salary into consideration and telling you who the team was, that your team's 3rd outfielder would be above league average, I think most would be reasonable to take it and not care what the money that's already been spent was.

I think the point was that he's not nearly a top 20% outfielder. He's been solid, worth putting on the field, and not a liability, but he's not a top 20% OF'er, and whether or not the money is already spent, really not worth his contract (as guys over 35 almost never are). It's valid to point out that his production (while solid) doesn't match his pay. The Brewers are in a position, and probably always will be where they shouldn't be paying guys in their late 30's this kind of money.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 8:33 AM Post
Braun changed it up a bit: Per Adam McCalvy

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:

Here is the article Adam McCalvy wrote on the stance adjustment, Inspired by Bellinger, Braun reworks stance

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Brew4U said:

Here is the article Adam McCalvy wrote on the stance adjustment, Inspired by Bellinger, Braun reworks stance

“It’s like, my BP is still so good. Maybe it’s because the ball is juiced, but I’m hitting balls further and harder than ever. I know I’m not as healthy as I was when I was younger, but I’m shocked that I’m not performing better in games, still. So maybe this is something that will help me get there. ... You’re never too old or too proud to make adjustments and make changes. It’s worth exploring.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
TigerUppercut said:

I think the point was that he's not nearly a top 20% outfielder. He's been solid, worth putting on the field, and not a liability, but he's not a top 20% OF'er, and whether or not the money is already spent, really not worth his contract (as guys over 35 almost never are). It's valid to point out that his production (while solid) doesn't match his pay. The Brewers are in a position, and probably always will be where they shouldn't be paying guys in their late 30's this kind of money.

Given the contracts players are getting these days, if you aren’t willing to pay players some big money in their mid to late 30’s you probably aren’t going to have them in their prime years. Like it or not you have to look at much of that money as deferred payment for earlier production.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 10:33 AM Post
BruisedCrew said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
TigerUppercut said:

Given the contracts players are getting these days, if you aren’t willing to pay players some big money in their mid to late 30’s you probably aren’t going to have them in their prime years. Like it or not you have to look at much of that money as deferred payment for earlier production.

The problem with this argument here is that it didn't apply to Braun's situation at all.
He was already under contract through his age 31 season before the 5 year extension was given. He was extended in 2011 for 2016-2020 and was already under contract through 2015 at the time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 12:05 PM Post
Brew4U said:

I saw that tweet before yesterday's game and noticed he got away from it too, so the results of his at bats were no surprise.

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 0134929408

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 192 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply