LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 216 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun Working on a Swing Change

Offline  Re: Braun Working on a Swing Change
Posted: July 15, 2019, 10:54 PM Post
Taken as a whole, Braun's 2019 at the plate doesn't look dramatically different from his 2018 performance. But he had a terrible first month of the season. On April 30th, he was hitting .196 with a slash line of .250 OBP/.381 SLG/.631 OPS. Look no further than his .209 BAbip for an explanation. In 2018, his BAbip, which had been .331 between 2007 and 2017, dropped to a career low .274. But since the start of May 2019, he's been a completely different hitter. The last 60 games, he's actually been pretty damned good.

May 1 to July 15

60 games played
199 at bats
28 runs
61 hits
14 doubles
8 home runs
27 RBI
6/7 stolen bases
12 walks
47 strikeouts
.307 AVG, slash line of .346 OBP/.497 SLG/.843 OPS
.373 BAbip
123 OPS +

Clearly that's not MVP Ryan Braun from his peak. But for 35 years old, OPSing 23% above league average is pretty good. The thing killing his WAR is his defense. But there's no question he's been producing offensively the last 2.5 months, overall. He's had a slow start to July, but I've got a sneaking feeling he's about to go on a hot streak.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
Okay so we get to ignore his horrid month, but then accept his 1.000+ OPS May?

I don't think that is how it works.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 10:19 AM Post
No one is saying ignore his bad stretch. They’re just pointing out that he’s done pretty well this year, offensively, outside of a horrendous start to the season. How much of that was a swing change? Who knows.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 10:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
2018: 105 wRC+
2019: 101 wRC+

2018: .370 expected wOBA vs .330 actual wOBA
2019: .337 expected wOBA vs .333 actual wOBA

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
Brew4U said:
No one is saying ignore his bad stretch.

I mean...yah he kind of is. All players go through highs and lows. Ignoring something just because they ended or started the year hot/poor is so popular, but so misleading.

One could sit here and say, "Well after his hot streak in May his OPS has been merely average at .750."...now he doesn't look so impressive.

His BA in his last 14 days is .227, but if you took 28 days it is .305.

All about how you want to cut that pie.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 10:33 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:
No one is saying ignore his bad stretch.

I mean...yah he kind of is. All players go through highs and lows. Ignoring something just because they ended or started the year hot/poor is so popular, but so misleading.

One could sit here and say, "Well after his hot streak in May his OPS has been merely average at .750."...now he doesn't look so impressive.

His BA in his last 14 days is .227, but if you took 28 days it is .305.

All about how you want to cut that pie.

I mean...no, I really wasn't. Please don't put words in my mouth. Should you need clarification on what I've said, ask instead of making assumptions.

But since the start of May 2019, he's been a completely different hitter. The last 60 games, he's actually been pretty damned good.

Nowhere did I say to ignore that first month. I said he's been pretty productive the last sixty games. I also referenced his slow start to July.

I'm not sure what is ambiguous about my comment.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 8:33 PM Post
Can he work on a position change again? Could use a RH 1b to platoon with Thames/Shaw next year.

Grisham is getting downright silly in AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:10 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
Can he work on a position change again? Could use a RH 1b to platoon with Thames/Shaw next year.

I'm starting to think Grisham should get called up this year, and maybe even before September.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:15 PM Post
shanedog19 said:
TJseven7 said:

I'm starting to think Grisham should get called up this year, and maybe even before September.

I've been torn on this.

He's still only 22, and as good as he has been, he probably still has some development in front of him. We've waited a long time for him to deliver on his potential and I think we need to resist the temptation to rush things now.

100% he gets added to the 40 in the offseason and maybe follows the Hiura path next year for a callup schedule.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Grisham with four more hits tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:24 PM Post
adambr2 said:
shanedog19 said:
TJseven7 said:

I've been torn on this.

He's still only 22, and as good as he has been, he probably still has some development in front of him. We've waited a long time for him to deliver on his potential and I think we need to resist the temptation to rush things now.

100% he gets added to the 40 in the offseason and maybe follows the Hiura path next year for a callup schedule.

He has two more years in the minors than Hiura, and is having a bigger year in 2019 than Hiura did in 2018. If he can have a Hiura type impact on the big league club, I think you bring him up and see if he can be a difference maker. I think the conversation at least needs to start now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:25 PM Post
adambr2 said:
shanedog19 said:
TJseven7 said:

I've been torn on this.

This offense needs something to get it going, his elite plate approach will transfer to the big leagues, and maybe it’ll rub off a little too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 7:10 PM Post
adambr2 said:
shanedog19 said:
TJseven7 said:

I've been torn on this.

I'm in no rush. He's not even 23 yet. The plan needs to be put in place for 2020 though.

I'm wondering how we avoid having 5 of our 6 top bats being LH in the near future.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 10:42 PM Post
I’d like to see the Brewers try Braun at 1st or 2nd in the order.

Braun
Cain
Yelich
Grandal
Moose
Hiura
Cain

Try that for a few games

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 10:44 PM Post
There not moving Yelich. Not even sure why you would.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 11:54 PM Post
DHonks said:

Braun
Cain
Yelich
Grandal
Moose
Hiura
Cain

Try that for a few games

Yeah if you wanted to say
Braun Yelich Hiura Moose Grandal
Braun Yelich Grandal Moose Hiura

I'd listen. I'm not leaving Cain up there if we aren't leading him off.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2019, 5:31 AM Post
DHonks said:

Braun
Cain
Yelich
Grandal
Moose
Hiura
Cain

Try that for a few games

I think teams would notice Cain batting twice.

Seriously, I think some people spend way too much time fussing about the batting order.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2019, 6:47 AM Post
If you are going to list a name twice in the batting order, I'd list Yelich [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2019, 9:39 AM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:
If you are going to list a name twice in the batting order, I'd list Yelich [wink]

1. Yelich
2. Hiura
3. Yelich
4. Hiura
5. Yelich
6. Hiura
7. Yelich
8. Hiura
9. Yelich

We will use the ghosty rule.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:

I'm in no rush. He's not even 23 yet. The plan needs to be put in place for 2020 though.

I'm wondering how we avoid having 5 of our 6 top bats being LH in the near future.

I think that only matters if the lefties can't hit lefties, no?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 216 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply