LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun Working on a Swing Change

Offline  Re: Braun Working on a Swing Change

Posted: January 31, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
homer said:
If you want to talk about Braun and steroids do it in another thread. This one is about his swing change. Thanks.

No problem.

I wonder if his thumb injury did cause him to change his swing a little - subtly enough that the launch angle did decrease somewhat - and then the injuries in 2017 added a few more changes, which turned what would have been doubles into outs, and homers into doubles.

If ten of the loud outs were doubles that got taken away, his .254 average goes to .279, the OBP goes from .313 to .333, and the SLG goes from .469 to .518.

So, I think that the right adjustments could provide quite a boost for Braun.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2019, 11:55 AM Post
clancyphile said:
homer said:
If you want to talk about Braun and steroids do it in another thread. This one is about his swing change. Thanks.

No problem.

I wonder if his thumb injury did cause him to change his swing a little - subtly enough that the launch angle did decrease somewhat - and then the injuries in 2017 added a few more changes, which turned what would have been doubles into outs, and homers into doubles.

If ten of the loud outs were doubles that got taken away, his .254 average goes to .279, the OBP goes from .313 to .333, and the SLG goes from .469 to .518.

So, I think that the right adjustments could provide quite a boost for Braun.

It's definitely possible that injuries caused adjustments in his swing. As long as changing his swing back doesn't cause the thumb or other injuries to flare up, it will be a good thing. Otherwise he will just hit the DL quicker this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2019, 3:27 PM Post
I think people are often making the mistake in assuming that a player’s swing is the same their entire career. There are often extremely minor changes that occur. My golf swing has several versions each year. In my case it has nothing to do with injuries or launch angle, but rather a lot to do with normal tweaks that occur either intentionally or subconsciously

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
DHonks said:
I think people are often making the mistake in assuming that a player’s swing is the same their entire career. There are often extremely minor changes that occur. My golf swing has several versions each year. In my case it has nothing to do with injuries or launch angle, but rather a lot to do with normal tweaks that occur either intentionally or subconsciously

I'm pretty sure most Brewer fans are aware swings change.... we had Craig 'Chicken Wing' as a player, and his swing was always different.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 7:45 AM Post
Mass Haas said:

Just hand this man the MVP right now. Gonna be a good year!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Braun Working on a Swing Change

Posted: February 07, 2019, 8:09 AM Post
Seems like I read/see a decent amount about athletes refusing to change. "I know what got me here" type attitudes, so it's refreshing to see Braun take an honest look at the previous year (yeah, maybe it wasn't as bad as has been discussed here, etc) and realize he may need to try something different in the offseason. Can't wait for 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:29 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Mass Haas said:

Just hand this man the MVP right now. Gonna be a good year!

That was a fun watch!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
I think Braun is a Hall of Fame type talent who struggles to stay healthy. I don't think Braun's talent is in the upper echelon of a Willie Mays or Ted Williams (Mays had one of his best offensive seasons at age 34, Williams at 38) but he's in there with the next tier. You don't normally expect significant offense from a 35 year old but Braun could certainly be an exception, with some good luck in health and with the Brewers giving him extra time off.

I don't expect drastic changes with his swing. If he sacrifices some contact with more HR's that is probably a smart choice given his age & the current era of the game.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 5:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
AUDIO via the MLB Statcast Podcast: Ryan Braun changing his swing "Brewers slugger Ryan Braun is attempting to change his swing for better results. Host Mike Petriello and national editor Matt Meyers discuss Braun's decision to make a switch and the type of results he could see in 2019. Plus, they look at the type of impact Bryce Harper could have on his future team's postseason chase."

Here is the LINK to the library of Statcast Podcasts.

I won’t spoil the stats they share behind their reasoning, but Mike Petriello is seemingly buying into the possibility of Ryan Braun’s swing changes leading to improved results.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 6:28 PM Post
Thank you for sharing that. Man I am excited.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
Nice Fangraphs article touching on this topic...

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/ryan-braun-isnt-done-yet/

Kinda lands on both sides of this discussion. Based upon how hard Braun was hitting the ball, the case can surely be made to change nothing. On the flip-side the argument is made that his tweaks are with eliminating bad luck in mind. I'm skeptical of altering a swing that data suggests should have resulted in .296 AVG, .515 SLG, .368 wOBA but as a fan I'd much rather just hope it works out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 2:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs 2019 BABIP Surgers Article lists the players with the biggest 2018 discrepancy between BABIP and xBABIP. I'll let you guess who tops the list for lowest BABIP as compared to their expected BABIP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 2:35 PM Post
There's a pretty significant gap between him and the next guy as well. Hard to not expect a much better season based on that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 4:10 PM Post
Even in reduced ABs for health a return to that form has a huge impact on the team and line-up especially once the post season rolls around. I want to believe Stat Cast

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 6:39 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
I don't think Braun's talent is in the upper echelon of a Willie Mays or Ted Williams (Mays had one of his best offensive seasons at age 34, Williams at 38) but he's in there with the next tier.

Wow. That's a pretty big tier. I'm sure a lot of people who aren't Brewer fans also have him one tier below those guys though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 9:40 PM Post
I like the idea of Braun willing to try something different in an effort to better his game. I have no doubt that between his back surgery and nerve issue in is thumb that over the years he’s probably not getting the bat around as fast as he once did. Worse case scenario he can always go back to his original swing. I think Braun is about the only player I’ve heard of who’s had the same swing from high school and through his career in the MLB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 09, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
https://apnews.com/cbe6c73dcf594854ae27b0705f4d7393

Pretty good article with Braun talking about his swing change. In the article, he said that the ball is traveling further now than it has in a long time, possibly ever.

I think Braun will really surprise people this season and put up numbers similar to his 2016 season. Hopefully he can stay healthy all season and play around 130 games.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply