LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

Offline  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 13, 2019, 7:22 PM Post
I think June 1 will be around the date especially when the weather should be warmer than it has so far.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:14 PM Post
Lathund said:
With the "not ready" I was thinking more along the lines of healthy but rusty, lacking command, having the yips or something along those lines. Teams do use the IL with dubious "injuries", but someone throwing 80+ pitches per start going on the DL and then immediately continues to do so seems like a bit much. Anyway, I don't know exactly how it works either. I think that it would indeed have to count as a new IL stint (Or else the 30-day maximum length of a rehab assigment would feel pretty meaningless), meaning they'd have to activate him (And create a 40-man spot for him) before putting him on the IL again, but this time on the 10-day one. But if he's still actually injuried, of course they'd do that.

MLB doesn't care. Remember when there were two camps arguing that we should put Wang on the DL once he hit his requirement as part of the 25 man roster and people said that if he didn't have a real injury, it'd be breaking the rules? Teams flaunt this all the time and MLB isn't going to question a guy who's missed a year and a half if the team says he's had a minor setback, he'll need another 10 days.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:31 PM Post
I don’t get the talk of more time in rehab than the 30 days, sometime from May 23-june 5 he’ll be starting for the big club. Boom done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:08 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
I don’t get the talk of more time in rehab than the 30 days, sometime from May 23-june 5 he’ll be starting for the big club. Boom done.

He completely destroyed his shoulder (kind of an important tendon and muscle grouping for an MLB pitcher) and hasn't pitched for 20 months or so (and that was with a healthy shoulder). He's kind of starting over as far was what it feels like to throw again. I'll be shocked if he is ready after 4 or 5 minor league starts, but if he is that would be great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
Lathund said:
benji said:
Nelson has to be shut down or called up after 30 days. I dont believe Brewers would option him. Not even sure he could be.

May 31st seems to be the last day that Jimmy can be optioned, as he'll reach 5 years of service time the next day. This ended up lining up almost exactly with the end of the rehab assignment.

So they could, and I guess they will if he's obviously not ready and looks awful, but I agree that I don't believe they will. Breaking stuff looks great, velo is fine, give him a chance to prove that he's back. There's a good chance he makes this team better. So on those grounds alone he should be on the MLB roster. In addition to that, it also doesn't look great to option a player on the last day where you can do so. Even more true for a popular guy (With both fans and players) like Jimmy.

Exactly.
He’s healthy-his stuff is good-he’s gonna help the big club!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
I was pretty sure when Nelson was given the go, they said 3 or 4 starts and all good meant return to Milw rotation. Hes 3down right? 1 to go? He'll be starting in no time for us. Next week basically.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 11:01 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
I was pretty sure when Nelson was given the go, they said 3 or 4 starts and all good meant return to Milw rotation. Hes 3down right? 1 to go? He'll be starting in no time for us. Next week basically.

2 down... 8 days apart. 3rd and 11th of May.

17th, 23rd and 28th to go? (SA doubleheader on the 27th and he gets back on every 5th schedule)

Leaves Memphis on the 29th and meets MKE in Pittsburgh for the 30th as SA goes to Omaha. Sounds right.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 5:23 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

17th, 23rd and 28th to go? (SA doubleheader on the 27th and he gets back on every 5th schedule)

Leaves Memphis on the 29th and meets MKE in Pittsburgh for the 30th as SA goes to Omaha. Sounds right.

I think for the last 2 rehab starts they will want the 4 day rest to make sure he recovers ok, so 22nd and 27th then starts for the big club June 1 in Pittsburgh.

Unless they decide to put him in the bullpen, because our starters too strong.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 6:24 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
TJseven7 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

I think for the last 2 rehab starts they will want the 4 day rest to make sure he recovers ok, so 22nd and 27th then starts for the big club June 1 in Pittsburgh.

Unless they decide to put him in the bullpen, because our starters too strong.

I just can't see a bullpen move for Nelson. He has never relieved in his career, they are keeping him on a strict throwing/rest schedule, and he's coming off a major rare injury for a pitcher. I would imagine the last thing they'd want to do is put him in a spot where he'd have to get ready to come into a game on short notice. That just doesn't seem prudent for a pitcher in Nelson's situation I think it's rotation or bust right now. But you are right, the rotation is performing very well right now, which makes the decision infinitely more difficult. These situations to often sort themselves out, but the time for that to happen is quickly dwindling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 6:46 AM Post
Then they should put Anderson in the pen with peralta to be the multi-inning pen arms that this team needs to move toward the superpen their going to need to really be a great team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 6:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
At this point, Peralta might still be the odd man out. It's very clear with the way Nelson's rehab is going, that they absolutely intend to use him as a starter. Of the guys currently in the rotation, Peralta would be the one that seems to be not necessarily deserving of being demoted but the guy who is struggling somewhat, and could also easily slide into a bullpen role and immediately provide value in that role.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 5:16 PM Post
The thing that know one is talking about is if the brewers have an innings limit this year for jimmy, and if so, maybe then, he goes to the pen.

Even though he’s yet to throw an inning for the big club, he’s thrown innings in Arizona, and Texas getting his arm built up, so it’ll be interesting what the brewers limitations are for jimmy if any.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 8:21 PM Post
5/17

5.2 IP / 0 R / 3 H / 1 BB / 8 K 86 pitches, 54 strikes

Getting closer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
folly412 said:
5/17

Getting closer.

Couple two tree more starts like that & Jimmy should be ready to go.

It's almost starting to feel real.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 9:02 PM Post
sveumrules said:
folly412 said:
5/17

Getting closer.

Couple two tree more starts like that & Jimmy should be ready to go.

It's almost starting to feel real.

I think 2 at the most. Hoping it’s just 1.

I promise you jimmy knows he’s ready, and wants up for his next start.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2019, 9:10 PM Post
That's a beautiful line.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2019, 5:34 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
The thing that know one is talking about is if the brewers have an innings limit this year for jimmy, and if so, maybe then, he goes to the pen.

Even though he’s yet to throw an inning for the big club, he’s thrown innings in Arizona, and Texas getting his arm built up, so it’ll be interesting what the brewers limitations are for jimmy if any.

Nobody is talking about it because they said before spring training there wasn’t an inning restriction. They aren’t protecting a 19 year old prospect, it’s a veteran pitcher in the middle of his career coming off two years rest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2019, 5:41 AM Post
wildcat83 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Nobody is talking about it because they said before spring training there wasn’t an inning restriction. They aren’t protecting a 19 year old prospect, it’s a veteran pitcher in the middle of his career coming off two years rest.

Didn’t know the crew said that, great, thanks for clarifying.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2019, 7:03 AM Post
With Anderson taking the start Saturday, and maybe one more, then the logical move would be Anderson to the pen and Nelson taking his rotation spot in Pittsburgh series May 31-June 2. Burnes and Peralta clearly need work in AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
With Anderson taking the start Saturday, and maybe one more, then the logical move would be Anderson to the pen and Nelson taking his rotation spot in Pittsburgh series May 31-June 2. Burnes and Peralta clearly need work in AAA.

I think it really depends on how Anderson does. He stunk coming out of the pen early this year. 10 IPs - 11 hits - 5 ERs - 4 BBs.
He can be a very effective starter if he can keep the ball in the park. IF he pitches well today it will be a good situation to have for CC.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply