LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

Offline  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 24, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
I'm kind of bummed, Anderson and Chacin have a couple of more chances to see if they deserve the final couple spots.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 2:57 PM Post
benji said:
Is there any service time manipulation reasons for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's close but looks like in about a week they wouldn't have been able to option Nelson. Once he is up he will likely be up for good.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 24, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
https://twitter.com/todd_rosiak/status/ ... 53088?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 5:48 PM Post
After reading the comments of Counsell with regards to Nelson, not happy that one of the reasons given to optioning Jimmy was they didn’t want to disturb the rotation. Whatever with that, hold back a pitcher that can help improve the rotation, just because you can’t tell Chacín or Anderson your going to the pen to help improve the overall pitching staff.

Chacín should give way to Jimmy, he’s pitched poorly this year, and the fact he’s still in the rotation and Jimmy’s not is disturbing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:19 PM Post
I'm disappointed but not shocked by this move. It just seems like Nelson has reached the sink or swim phase, there is a time where he is going to have to face MLB hitters and it seems pretty pointless at this juncture to have him continue to work in AAA. If they called him up now and he got shelled in his first two/three starts, then they could have optioned him a few weeks from now as he is still about 65 days away from reaching 5 years of service time.

Chacin has been pretty good his last four times out and IMO should stay in the rotation based on that. I would have brought up Nelson, stuck in him the rotation and bounced Anderson back to the bullpen. Anderson has done well in his starts but that has only covered 13 2/3 innings of work. Then I'd probably say Burnes gets bumped back to AAA. It may be a small sample size, but Peralta's has been much more effective against left-handed bats this year and starting to look like he could be a multi-inning hammer out of the bullpen. His plus-fastball and a bunch of marginal other stuff just might play that much better as a reliever. Houser would be a definite candidate to send back down, but with Burnes sucking in his last two outings...it just gets pretty hard to justify that 10+ ERA and 2 WHIP on the roster. Obvious no-brainer statement at this point is that Burnes better turn in a good outing in his next chance.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:23 PM Post
Is Nelson racking up MLB service time with him being on the disabled list last yeAr and this year? Or doesn't the time count for some reason? He was hurt while in the majors so my guess is that he'll be a free agent after next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
As of now, he is RIGHT NOW -May 24- around 4.3 years of MLB service. If he is at AAA for about three weeks, the Brewers will get another year of control, correct? He would be under control through 2021. Pretty significant.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:43 PM Post
JosephC said:
I'm disappointed but not shocked by this move. It just seems like Nelson has reached the sink or swim phase, there is a time where he is going to have to face MLB hitters and it seems pretty pointless at this juncture to have him continue to work in AAA. If they called him up now and he got shelled in his first two/three starts, then they could have optioned him a few weeks from now as he is still about 65 days away from reaching 5 years of service time.

Service time ticks when on the DL. He was 65 days away on opening day, those 65 days are almost up. So if they were going to option him, they had to do it now. I would have preferred to have Nelson up and starting next week, but I can see why they did what they did.

rickh150 said:
As of now, he is RIGHT NOW -May 24- around 4.3 years of MLB service. If he is at AAA for about three weeks, the Brewers will get another year of control, correct? He would be under control through 2021. Pretty significant.

He'd need to spend almost the entire season optioned for the Brewers to get an extra year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:54 PM Post
Lathund said:
JosephC said:

Service time ticks when on the DL. He was 65 days away on opening day, those 65 days are almost up. So if they were going to option him, they had to do it now. I would have preferred to have Nelson up and starting next week, but I can see why they did what they did.

rickh150 said:

He'd need to spend almost the entire season optioned for the Brewers to get an extra year.

I pulled the service time number from https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-milwaukee-brewers

They have him at 4 years, 107 days and I thought they updated thier numbers daily. However, Baseball Reference also has him at 4 years, 107 days and I know they only update at the beginning of the year. So either I was incorrect about Roster Resource doing daily updates, or Roster Resource made a mistake with not crediting him service time. Either way my statement was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I think the smart move was to option Nelson now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 8:28 PM Post
https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/milwaukee-brewers/

Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days. I think it is just the decimal for the fraction of the season. For instance, if someone else is sent down midseason, my guess is that he would have .5 service years at the end of the year assuming he was up at season's beginning.

So if a season is six months plus long, each month would be roughly .16 of a service year. Three weeks would roughly be .12 or so, which would be enough time down to give keep Jimmy under 5 years of service at season's end.That would make 2021, not 2020, his last year controlled by the Brewers since FA is granted after 6 complete service years (6.0) in MLB.

So..... my guess is this is the mule driving the cart. It makes sense for the Brewers to send him down now, and it makes sense that Nelson is a little confused with his recent move to AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 8:31 PM Post
The .107 is probably from his September call-up in 2014.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 8:51 PM Post
rickh150 said:
https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/milwaukee-brewers/

Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days. I think it is just the decimal for the fraction of the season. For instance, if someone else is sent down midseason, my guess is that he would have .5 service years at the end of the year assuming he was up at season's beginning.

So if a season is six months plus long, each month would be roughly .16 of a service year. Three weeks would roughly be .12 or so, which would be enough time down to give keep Jimmy under 5 years of service at season's end.That would make 2021, not 2020, his last year controlled by the Brewers since FA is granted after 6 complete service years (6.0) in MLB.

So..... my guess is this is the mule driving the cart. It makes sense for the Brewers to send him down now, and it makes sense that Nelson is a little confused with his recent move to AAA.

It is 4 years and 107 days at the start of the year and about a week from 5 years now but that has been paused for now since he was optioned.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 9:02 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days.

It is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2019, 11:06 PM Post
Lathund said:
rickh150 said:
Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days.

It is.

Thanks all for the clarification....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2019, 5:47 AM Post
We’re talking service time? Service time?

Wow, if I’m jimmy, I’m angry. Back to wasting good quality pitches on inferior competition, just because the crew doesn’t want to tell Chacín or Anderson their going to the pen for the betterment of the pitching staff. I was wanting the crew to potentially sign jimmy to a 2 or 3 year extension this offseason, that probably just got a little more difficult to do.

Anderson couldn’t get thru 5, Chacín the same, what am I missing here?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2019, 6:03 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

Wow, if I’m jimmy, I’m angry. Back to wasting good quality pitches on inferior competition, just because the crew doesn’t want to tell Chacín or Anderson their going to the pen for the betterment of the pitching staff. I was wanting the crew to potentially sign jimmy to a 2 or 3 year extension this offseason, that probably just got a little more difficult to do.

A lot.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2019, 6:12 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

A lot.

Feel better?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2019, 9:04 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

A lot.

Feel better?

Yes.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2019, 11:26 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

Sadly Jimmy doesn't look the same to me (on tv) and at the game I saw him at live in Phoenix. He is lucky he is in a business where the odds are after the shoulder injury his career was pretty much over and the Brewers still gave him almost 8M to attempt a comeback the last two years. They are also letting him travel back and forth to be with his wife instead of staying with the team in San Antonio. I don't think he has any real reason to be "angry". Perhaps disappointed but he hasn't pitched well enough where it was a clear cut decision.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 26, 2019, 7:16 PM Post
benji said:
Is there any service time manipulation reasons for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It was pointed out he'd have to sit just about remainder of season to gain any status on the service clock. I think some of the off days at this moment made sending him down make sense. Give him a start or 2 on schedule, and gain knowledge who he will replace. Anderson/Gio/Chacin. Id personally give him Gio's spot and use Gio in the Bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply