LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

Offline  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 26, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
Nelson has pitched a grand total of 19.0 IP in real games over the last two years. Keeping him in the minors a little longer has nothing to do with service time or him not being good enough to push Anderson back to the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 26, 2019, 9:35 PM Post
I disagree, as has been noted many times he is very close to 5 years so it does play a part. The Brewers have to be comfortable he is ready to be a major League contributer because if they bring him up and he is not ready then they have to release him. He is a long time Brewer but they are also trying to win games and make the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck
Posted: May 26, 2019, 9:53 PM Post
I am glad they aren’t rushing him into the rotation. Everyone sees his past or one exciting report/video and think he is 2017 Nelson ready to dominate. Reality is...probably night. Give him a little more time, be sure, and have him cemented I to that rotation. The last thing we needed is another unstable arm causing a ruckus on the staff after how the season started.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 27, 2019, 7:02 AM Post
SRB said:
Nelson has pitched a grand total of 19.0 IP in real games over the last two years. Keeping him in the minors a little longer has nothing to do with service time or him not being good enough to push Anderson back to the bullpen.

I’ve softened my stance, and believe he’ll use this as motivation to pitch better in AAA and be up with the big club before the middle of June. We’ll know by then who needs to go to the pen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 29, 2019, 4:05 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
SRB said:

I’ve softened my stance, and believe he’ll use this as motivation to pitch better in AAA and be up with the big club before the middle of June. We’ll know by then who needs to go to the pen.

I also believe, outside of injury to one the starters, that we’ll know Nelson will be closer to returning when he’s pitched on 4 days rest instead of the 5 that he’s on now. Can’t imagine they wouldn’t see how his arm recovers to the shorter rest time before promoting him to MKE.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 29, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
SRB said:

I don't see Nelson as being the type of guy who needs any added motivation. I just hope he uses this to keep strengthening his arm so we can get him back healthy and strong. If those two things are in line, he'll only strengthen this rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 29, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
5 IP 3 H 1 R 3 BB 7 Ks

Run unearned/passed ball

97 pitches.

Hoping next start on 4 days rest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 29, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
54 strikes, 43 balls 2 WP

Decent numbers overall, but I think they need to see him throwing more strikes and going deeper before he's getting recalled.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 29, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm sure they're not looking at results and hits and ER, but velocity, location, control and that sort of stuff. He's gotta be maintaining velocity and hitting his targets and throwing strikes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 30, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
Do we know what his velocity was like last night? Is that the biggest concern left for him (outside of just building up more stamina so that he can go deeper into games)?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 30, 2019, 3:41 PM Post
Thought I saw somewhere on twitter that his fastball is moving differently than it did pre-injury, which is making it not compliment the rest of his repertoire as well. I would imagine that that could be a big stumbling block to get over.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 02, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
Nelson starting Wednesday for the Crew .. per Craig Counsell ... per Haudricourt.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 02, 2019, 10:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
Confirmed by Brewers Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1135220581232779270

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 02, 2019, 10:47 AM Post
And I’ll be there. Nice!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 8:30 AM Post
I'm super excited for Jimmy. Just getting through this season healthy will be a huge win.

Assuming he comes out of Wednesday's start ok... I wonder what they'll do with his next start. Do they let him pitch on normal rest @Houston or do they bounce his start back a couple days and give him game 1 @SF.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of giving him a little extra rest + the easier assignment @Sf and pitching Davies and Woody on normal rest @Houston.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
long ball said:
I'm super excited for Jimmy. Just getting through this season healthy will be a huge win.

Assuming he comes out of Wednesday's start ok... I wonder what they'll do with his next start. Do they let him pitch on normal rest @Houston or do they bounce his start back a couple days and give him game 1 @SF.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of giving him a little extra rest + the easier assignment @Sf and pitching Davies and Woody on normal rest @Houston.

That’s the question in my mind, when does jimmy go back to 4 rest days?

Every time I try to predict what the crew will do I’m wrong so I won’t this time either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 1:53 PM Post
long ball said:

the offdays sprinkled throughout June for the Brewers really give them some flexibility on easing Nelson into a normal rest schedule if they want or feel he needs it. I'm just pumped to see him back on the MLB hill this wednesday!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
I'm especially glad to see him breaking in against a AAA team

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 9:06 PM Post
Bought tickets immediately after hearing he's returning Wednesday (his b-day) cant wait to see him pitch again

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:38 AM Post
DHonks said:
I'm especially glad to see him breaking in against a AAA team

Which means he gets slammed and our offense musters a few solo homers at best, right?

I am keeping my mood calm. I wish him luck and hope he can do well tomorrow and the rest of the year. But coming back from injury is hard enough. Let alone a major injury where he was gone this long and had such a lengthy rehab.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 473 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply