Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

To Extend or Not Extend: Jeremy Jeffress

Offline  Re: To Extend or Not Extend: Jeremy Jeffress

Posted: February 06, 2019, 11:04 PM Post
Look up

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 7:08 AM Post
Counsell & Jeffress saying no tests scheduled or needed. Why would they not MRI his shoulder to rule out any structural damage? What’s the downside?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 7:17 AM Post
They would laugh all the way to the bank if offered that. Jeremy Jeffress is a 30+ year old reliever who has/had a drug problem, has/had an alcohol problem, has/had health issues, and has been absolutely terrible anywhere else. Why would we extend him for his age 33-36 seasons when we have him under contract the next two years?

He likely took a deal with us because A) He is comfortable here, which is a big deal with his past issues and B) Realizes there is a good chance his career goes up in flames the second he leaves.

The best thing for both sides is to play out this contract and then just re-up on another 1-2 year deal if he is still good. This shouldn't even be a thought for the Brewers. Glad things are going well now on and off the field. Lets just hope it stays that way, he is still good two years from now, and they can make a deal again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I love Jeffress, but not a chance. I wouldn't extend any reliever.

I'd go to the table with Knebel but that's it. He was a blue chip prospect from the start, unlike many flavor of the month Brewers relievers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 11:19 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I love Jeffress, but not a chance. I wouldn't extend any reliever.

I'd go to the table with Knebel but that's it. He was a blue chip prospect from the start, unlike many flavor of the month Brewers relievers.

Hader? I know he's not due for an extension anytime soon...but if there's any Brewers reliever I'd ever consider an extension for, it's him.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Hader's not even out of arby until 2024 I think, could be wrong. I believe Knebel is in 2021, only reason I said it that way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2019, 1:35 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Hader's not even out of arby until 2024 I think, could be wrong. I believe Knebel is in 2021, only reason I said it that way.

This is correct. Hader has 2 more years of min salary, and 3 years of arbitration.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 11:15 AM Post
JJ is an fa after next year. Fwiw

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 6:13 PM Post
agent39 said:
JJ is an fa after next year. Fwiw

And the last time he pitched he was throwing 84 and came out due to an issue with his shoulder.

Which is all the more reason to back up what everyone else has said that it makes zero sense to lock up a reliever like Jeffress, especially to the OP's suggested price.

That said, I think bringing up the "drug problems" which IIRC were for smoking pot(which is absurd) is a low blow, particularly given what we've learned about his health issues that led to him to self medicate. He's proven to be a impeccable role model for the Brewers as of late.

The reason IMO should have ended at his age and that he's a reliever(And that the original contract is just crazy).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 6:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'd like to see JJ stay a Brewer for as long as he's effective and at a fair rate. The pot use doesn't even hit my radar. The fact that mlb and NFL still demonize players for medical use is silly (IMO).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 6:20 PM Post
How is it a low blow to mention the drug problems? I don’t care what drug or why. Last I checked the suspension punishment didn’t change for marijuana. Not sure what his next positive test would put him at. If I recall the previous times were in the minors....does it reset in the MLB?

Regardless it is a past problem one would have to consider.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 6:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
. If I recall the previous times were in the minors....does it reset in the MLB?

Yes, and yes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
MrTPlush said:
. If I recall the previous times were in the minors....does it reset in the MLB?

Yes, and yes.

Okay then it is like 25 days...not nearly 3 months. It would still be problematic either way. I am sure it certainly is something in his past that would hurt his value on the open market. Now due to the circumstances I’d think that problem would be in his past...but that is an assumption.

I’m not saying Jeffress is some terrible human or that the league should even be punishing players for things like marijuana...but as it stands those are the rules.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
The drugs are basically off my radar. I think he's beyond that. But he is 31, a bit of concern at the moment, and has a had problem playing anywhere but for MKE.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
"Under the MLB-MLBPA Joint Drug Policy players are only tested for drug use if there’s probable cause. Players who test positive for marijuana (over the 50ng/mL threshold) may be subject to a treatment plan and up to $35,000 in fines. They will only face suspension if they violate the terms of the treatment program."

There are no "strikes" when it comes to weed in MLB. What happened when he was in the minors is different and means nothing for JJ from a suspension standpoint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
MrTPlush said:

Yes, and yes.

Okay then it is like 25 days...not nearly 3 months. It would still be problematic either way. I am sure it certainly is something in his past that would hurt his value on the open market. Now due to the circumstances I’d think that problem would be in his past...but that is an assumption.

I’m not saying Jeffress is some terrible human or that the league should even be punishing players for things like marijuana...but as it stands those are the rules.

You can't get suspended for pot in MLB...which is why I think it's a low blow to bring up "drug problems." Also, when I think of "drug problems," I think of drugs that are actual problems. Not pot. I don't smoke, but almost everyone I know does, from VP's of companies to my 80 year old Uncles.

And I don't know that Jeffress has a drinking problem. I know he got a DUI...which sadly is almost a rite of passage in Wisconsin(the laws here desperately need to be changed) and did the rehab thing, but I haven't heard that it's been an issue. Only that the pot has been.

Last edited by OnTheBlack on March 24, 2019, 7:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2019, 7:57 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
The drugs are basically off my radar. I think he's beyond that. But he is 31, a bit of concern at the moment, and has a had problem playing anywhere but for MKE.

That's where I am. I actually think his personality and what he brings to the clubhouse is a major plus.

I just...don't think he's that good and I don't think you EVER extend relievers with two years left who are going to be on the wrong side of 30 to the type of deal originally suggested.

And frankly, I think that out of 100 people on this board, 99 would agree. I think perhaps even the OP may now agree.

I would have extended Knebel though if we could get some team options as I think he's going to be dominant for a while, even if he has to have TJ.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:00 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
How is it a low blow to mention the drug problems? I don’t care what drug or why. Last I checked the suspension punishment didn’t change for marijuana. Not sure what his next positive test would put him at. If I recall the previous times were in the minors....does it reset in the MLB?

Regardless it is a past problem one would have to consider.

Oh boy the original arguments here.... Jeffress is horrible for being a pothead. Braun terrible for steroids... who cares? Get off your high horse. If you haven't smoked weed before, I feel bad for you. I wish him a speedy recovery and a long, lucrative contract. Marijuana has so many potential positives that the older generation keeps denying. I'll stop there.

Valar Morghulis

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2019, 8:27 AM Post
Just curious when we get more info on jj, would think he had another pen. Is he in Arizona? With the team? I’m sure brewers have the gun readings and have a good idea what to do next.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2019, 8:37 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Just curious when we get more info on jj, would think he had another pen. Is he in Arizona? With the team? I’m sure brewers have the gun readings and have a good idea what to do next.

JJ's agent posted this over in the minor league thread on Sunday:

agent39
Rehab moved up 2 days. Throwing in an extended game 29th. Them well see. Fyi guys

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply