LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 168 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Proposed MLB rule changes

Author Message
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: March 17, 2019, 3:50 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8341
MrAllen said:
zurch1818 said:
Sorry if this idea was already said. I just skimmed the full thread for the first time this morning and didn't see anything about it.

I am not a huge fan of the 3 batter minimum rule. I think I would like it better if they tweaked it a little bit and made it like a hockey goalie change...if you come in and face less than 3 minimum batters, the next pitcher has to come in without any warmups on the game mound. Goalies do just fine cold. Pitchers get the added benefit of the bullpen to at least be loose.

That's an interesting idea. However, while I agree that theoretically pitchers should be able to warm up safely beforehand, it feels like there'd be a lot of pushback on that idea for safety reasons. That said, I do agree that there should be a way to get out of the 3 hitter minimum and whatever "punishment" that incurs should apply whether an injury occurs or not to avoid teams faking injuries. So at that point it's a matter of making sure 1.) the "punishment" is harsh enough to avoid teams just routinely taking the hit, and 2.) the punishment isn't unfairly harsh to pitchers that actually have an injury.

With them rolling this out in the minors for a year first, it'll be interesting to see if they decide a tweak like this is needed before bringing it to the majors. Here are a couple ideas I've had or heard on the board in regards to a pitcher not reaching the 3 hitter minimum:

1.) Zurch's Goalie Rule - No mound warmup allowed for incoming pitcher.

The more I think about this the more I like it. The obvious caveat is that people will be worried that managers won't have a reliever ready to go and they'll risk further injury by bringing a guy in cold. However, if the real goal of the 3 hitter minimum is to reduce down time, this accomplishes that in several ways: 1.) encourages teams to reduce pitching changes, 2.) encourages managers to make sure relievers are ready to go right away when needed, 3.) reduces commercial breaks caused by pitching changes.


This was exactly what I was thinking about. I've beaten the "pitchers don't need 10 warmup pitches on the game mound" drum since forever. Simply put, if the managers goes to the ump first to make his pitching chance and the pitcher coming in doesn't want any warm up pitches on the game mound then he doesn't have to face 3 batters. Should take about 1 minute for all this to happen. No break for commercial, no real interruption of game flow, everyone wins.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:08 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2131
How about this one:

A batter cannot be charged with more strikes than balls in the count unless he "takes" the pitch for a strike. At the 8th pitch of the AB, a foul ball will be called strike 3 for the out.


Last edited by Oxy on August 01, 2019, 6:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18630
Oxy said:
How about this one:

-Foul balls are not counted as strikes until the 8th pitch of the AB. At that time, all foul balls will be strikes, INCLUDING THE 3RD STRIKE for the out.

This would encourage batters to swing early in the count and force the action to happen. This rule might actually backfire when it comes to time of game, but it should put more balls in play as well. There would be a maximum of a 10 pitch AB at which point the batter either BBs, Ks, or puts the ball in play.


This sounds awful.

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:27 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2131
trwi7 said:
Oxy said:
How about this one:

-Foul balls are not counted as strikes until the 8th pitch of the AB. At that time, all foul balls will be strikes, INCLUDING THE 3RD STRIKE for the out.

This would encourage batters to swing early in the count and force the action to happen. This rule might actually backfire when it comes to time of game, but it should put more balls in play as well. There would be a maximum of a 10 pitch AB at which point the batter either BBs, Ks, or puts the ball in play.


This sounds awful.


I just changed it. Still might be awful, but I think it's an improvement :O


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:35 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2131
It still aids the hitter TOO much without giving the pitcher much. Just trying to figure out ways to get more balls in play.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8341
Oxy said:
It still aids the hitter TOO much without giving the pitcher much. Just trying to figure out ways to get more balls in play.


Bigger strikezone. Most strikes, more swinging, more balls in play.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:52 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 5944
Almost everyone is trying to hit a home run now in every inning, every count, every situation. Probably 90% of the time that MLB players swing the bat the goal is a home run. Any other game action is purely accidental or will be soon.

That's all the justification I need for major rule changes to RESTORE the game to a previous state. Baseball has already changed to something new, the goal of any changes should be to get things back to what I would argue is a better version of baseball.

Attendance is down 4,000 fans/game from the peak in the late-2000s but it is clear visually that WAY more people are leaving the game in the 6th-8th inning than they used to, generally because that's when games are hitting the 2.5-hour mark. The fans are not invested in the outcome because the games are too long.

My main solution is to make stolen bases WAY easier (similar to the current test in the Atlantic league with pitchers needing to step off)--ideally a 75% success rate for the average runner and nearly 100% for the fastest guys in the league. That should greatly change the value equation in favor of fast, exciting but lower-OPS guys who are currently headed to extinction. I also think it is a way to make 3TO baseball more exciting since a walk should lead to more movement on the bases.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18630
You know what would help stop the all or nothing of going for a home run? Get rid of the juiced ball. Why wouldn't you be going for a home run all the time when you know even decent contact has the potential to go over the fence?

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 9:05 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2131
jerichoholicninja said:
Oxy said:
It still aids the hitter TOO much without giving the pitcher much. Just trying to figure out ways to get more balls in play.


Bigger strikezone. Most strikes, more swinging, more balls in play.


I think you'd have to give the hitters something too, otherwise you just end up with even more strikeouts and even less offense. It isn't so much that I want more offense and more runs, I just want to encourage more of a contact based approach rather than a 3TO approach. Moving the fences back would probably be enough, but I think there would be too many stadiums where that just isn't possible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 9:07 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 5944
trwi7 said:
You know what would help stop the all or nothing of going for a home run? Get rid of the juiced ball. Why wouldn't you be going for a home run all the time when you know even decent contact has the potential to go over the fence?


I doubt it would be enough. We don't know how much of an impact juiced balls are having because everyone started worrying about launch angle at the same time.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 01, 2019, 9:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2131
I love the idea of making pitchers step off before they throw to a base. Guys can stare at the foot on the rubber and go at first movement unless that foot moves significantly.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 02, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5075
owbc said:
trwi7 said:
You know what would help stop the all or nothing of going for a home run? Get rid of the juiced ball. Why wouldn't you be going for a home run all the time when you know even decent contact has the potential to go over the fence?


I doubt it would be enough. We don't know how much of an impact juiced balls are having because everyone started worrying about launch angle at the same time.


We have a great idea. Home runs are up 50% in AAA this year.

They started using the MLB ball this year.

Skill changes or thoughts around it don't magically propagate to the entire MLB population at the drop of a hat. A change in the baseball does.

http://owlbb.com/juiced-ball.php

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker
Website: http://www.mkehiker.com


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 02, 2019, 10:54 AM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 5944
Baldkin said:
owbc said:
trwi7 said:
You know what would help stop the all or nothing of going for a home run? Get rid of the juiced ball. Why wouldn't you be going for a home run all the time when you know even decent contact has the potential to go over the fence?


I doubt it would be enough. We don't know how much of an impact juiced balls are having because everyone started worrying about launch angle at the same time.


We have a great idea. Home runs are up 50% in AAA this year.

They started using the MLB ball this year.

Skill changes or thoughts around it don't magically propagate to the entire MLB population at the drop of a hat. A change in the baseball does.

http://owlbb.com/juiced-ball.php


I didn’t realize the AAA rate went up by that much after no change in prior years. Yikes.

I would still argue that pace of play and 3TO baseball need to be addressed. Otherwise un-juicing the ball will simply make for a slow, boring game with little offense. Making speed valuable is the key—more stolen bases, more incentive to hit the ball on the ground.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 02, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6958
I think (and I've made this argument before) it's not just the pace of play. It's the aesthetic value of the current game. There's less balls put in play, there's a lot more standing around. There's more k's and walks, and there's generally less action than there has been, quite literally ever, in the history of the game. The scoring is up, which is ok I suppose, and homeruns are up, but they're SO up, that the excitement of homeruns has been watered down to a point that a homerun is not an "event" in a baseball game any more.

I'm not here arguing that I want bunting, grounders advancing runners, and sac flies galore, but it's just the aesthetic of the current game is frankly, really not an exciting game to watch most nights.

You can't MAKE hitters not swing for the fences, and try to steal more bases, and bunt and etc, etc, etc. I don't want a bunch of 3-2 games where all 5 runs scored on sac flies and RBI groundouts. That's boring too! I just think there's a middle ground between fundamentally sound (and boring) baseball and 3TO (and really boring) baseball. I don't know where that is, and I don't know how to reach it. I do think that juicing the baseball so that we have multiple teams on pace for 275 homers isn't really a good start. Having a bunch of pitchers striking out 14+ batters per 9, IMO, is not great for the game either.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 02, 2019, 12:07 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 5944
RoCoBrewfan said:
I think (and I've made this argument before) it's not just the pace of play. It's the aesthetic value of the current game. There's less balls put in play, there's a lot more standing around. There's more k's and walks, and there's generally less action than there has been, quite literally ever, in the history of the game. The scoring is up, which is ok I suppose, and homeruns are up, but they're SO up, that the excitement of homeruns has been watered down to a point that a homerun is not an "event" in a baseball game any more.

I'm not here arguing that I want bunting, grounders advancing runners, and sac flies galore, but it's just the aesthetic of the current game is frankly, really not an exciting game to watch most nights.

You can't MAKE hitters not swing for the fences, and try to steal more bases, and bunt and etc, etc, etc. I don't want a bunch of 3-2 games where all 5 runs scored on sac flies and RBI groundouts. That's boring too! I just think there's a middle ground between fundamentally sound (and boring) baseball and 3TO (and really boring) baseball. I don't know where that is, and I don't know how to reach it. I do think that juicing the baseball so that we have multiple teams on pace for 275 homers isn't really a good start. Having a bunch of pitchers striking out 14+ batters per 9, IMO, is not great for the game either.


I think the first challenge is to get the majority of fans to accept that changes (beyond un-juicing the ball) need to made and Manfred has so far proven to be completely the wrong person to do so.

I'm curious to see what robot umps will do to the game before making other big changes to pitching. It is my belief that it will benefit hitters more than pitchers since the uncertainty of a ball/strike call on the corner forces hitters to swing at balls that might be called strikes. So maybe we will get more contact that way without having to change anything else.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 10, 2019, 12:15 AM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 5944
Friday night’s game was case in point for what’s wrong with baseball. A 4-hour game with 18 walks and 19 strikeouts. Only 6 balls landed safely in the outfield, the other 6 hits were HRs or infield singles. Yuck.

Does anyone actually watch the whole game?? A 6-5 game with a walk off HR should be exciting but that game was slow and excruciating.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 10, 2019, 6:43 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2375
The more I think about it, if/when MLB ever does go to an automated strike zone of some sort, the advantage will shift to hitters BIG time.

Once guys know, with certainty, where their zone really is & don't have to worry about umps missing all those close pitches around the edges, especially high/low...watch out.

I think swing % will fall off pretty dramatically, especially at the outset, & foul balls will increase even more (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fo ... king-about) as batters hone in on their one, true zone.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 10, 2019, 6:48 AM Post
Posts: 73
That was truly a hard game to watch ! As owb touched on , having a automated strike zone might help quite abit. Having umpires mis a ball or strike can Chang's a at bat dramatically


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 10, 2019, 6:53 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6958
owbc said:
Friday night’s game was case in point for what’s wrong with baseball. A 4-hour game with 18 walks and 19 strikeouts. Only 6 balls landed safely in the outfield, the other 6 hits were HRs or infield singles. Yuck.

Does anyone actually watch the whole game?? A 6-5 game with a walk off HR should be exciting but that game was slow and excruciating.


That is exactly what I meant in my previous post about the aesthetic value of baseball not being up to par in the current iteration of the game. Last night's game was an absolute abomination to watch.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes
Posted: August 10, 2019, 9:10 AM Post
Posts: 595
Location: Washburn, WI
sveumrules said:
The more I think about it, if/when MLB ever does go to an automated strike zone of some sort, the advantage will shift to hitters BIG time.

Once guys know, with certainty, where their zone really is & don't have to worry about umps missing all those close pitches around the edges, especially high/low...watch out.

I think swing % will fall off pretty dramatically, especially at the outset, & foul balls will increase even more (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fo ... king-about) as batters hone in on their one, true zone.


I disagree with the first bolded part in the short term. I think there will be a big advantage to the pitcher when the bottom of the strike zone will actually get called correctly. Seems like a lot of umps aren’t very consistent with calls near the bottom.

I do agree with the second bolded part that having a consistent strike zone for guys to adapt to and know what is and isn’t a strike will be beneficial to the hitter, but that it will take a year or two for guys to really get a feel for exactly where the strike zone is. Those fastballs right at the bottom of the zone and curveballs that nearly hit the dirt, but cross right at the knees are going to give hitters FITS when they start getting rung up on those pitches. They will adapt, but it’ll be a painful learning process for the hitters in my opinion.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 168 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test