LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Proposed MLB rule changes

Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes

Posted: February 06, 2019, 11:54 PM Post
I’ve been a fan of eliminating 1 and done relief pitchers for a while. Make it 2 hitters even. I don’t understand arguments against it. If you aren’t capable of getting MLB hitters (from both sides of the plate) out at a respectable clip, maybe you aren’t an MLB pitcher.

Nothing wrecks game flow more than a LOOGY coming in with one out in the 7th, throwing one or 2 pitches to a batter, and then the manager trotting out again for another delay after he gives up a hit or gets an out.

I do like the idea that 1 batter may be allowed if it’s the 3rd out.

Last edited by PlayerHader on February 07, 2019, 9:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 8:14 AM Post
There's quite a few arguments against it. One is that it is going to wreck careers. It will be the death of the LOOGY.

Guys like Hader will obviously be fine, but guys like Xavier Cedeno and Alex Claudio who are murder vs LHP and can't retire righties will have a very difficult time finding work.

It's also going to hurt teams like the Brewers who really on innovation, matchups and strategy by dumbing down the game for the sake of game speed.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes

Posted: February 07, 2019, 8:17 AM Post
adambr2 said:
There's quite a few arguments against it. One is that it is going to wreck careers. It will be the death of the LOOGY.

Guys like Hader will obviously be fine, but guys like Xavier Cedeno and Alex Claudio who are murder vs LHP and can't retire righties will have a very difficult time finding work.

It's also going to hurt teams like the Brewers who really on innovation, matchups and strategy by dumbing down the game for the sake of game speed.

I agree on Cedeno, but Claudio was sold as someone capable of going multiple innings and was decent against right-handed batters. Is that wrong?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 8:31 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
adambr2 said:

I agree on Cedeno, but Claudio was sold as someone capable of going multiple innings and was decent against right-handed batters. Is that wrong?

Well I would say yes it is. Claudio has been very bad vs. RHP. Righties had a whopping. 933 OPS against him in 2018 and for his career, .797, versus a career .498 OPS against vs. lefties. He can go multiple innings, but his splits don't lie. He is, and always has been, very ineffective against righties.

The ramifications of this potential rule probably affect him the most. Think of a game against the Cardinals or Cubs. Hader is unavailable, as he normally for several days after his usual multi-inning appearances. Claudio is brought in to face Carpenter, or Rizzo with 1 out. He retires his man, but now instead of going to Knebel, or Woodruff, or Jeffress like they want to, the Brewers are forced to stick with Claudio against Goldschmidt or Baez. He is probably the worst possible option in the pen for this matchup.

It is a very, very bad potential rule for the Brewers with the way they operate their bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
I just can’t see a pitch clock working. First off what’s the penalty for violating the clock? Second what if it’s the batter that’s causing the delay? Third cant the catcher just call timeout if they are getting close?

Lowering the mound? No way. This would effect literally every level of baseball from high school up. Colleges and minor leagues would have to follow suit or else pitchers would come into the majors and have to adjust at the top level. Then eventually high schools would have to consider changing suit. And what’s the point? More offense? Who cares about that? The DH to the NL will add offense, as will making pitchers face multiple hitters.

Universal DH I like. I don’t like the idea of draft changes unless it actually makes a draft that makes sense. I swear MLB has the convoluted non sensical draft rules on the planet. What’s wrong with a worldwide draft where compensation is based on the entirety of the offseason personnel moves like in the NFL?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 9:27 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Death to the LOOGY? I can live with that. That’s essentially the point. Managers would definitely have to pick their spots with this guys. Or those guys would have to find a way to be not horrible at getting RH batters to make weaker contact.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 9:38 AM Post
Teams have to use a roster spot on a LOOGY though. That's a pretty steep cost for the privilege of using a guy against one batter a few times a week. I hate the idea of restricting different strategy elements. The more different ways you can try to find any little advantage, the better. Let some teams have starters go 6+ innings while other teams go 3-4. Let some teams have all kinds of versatile bench players and use platoons while others go top-heavy with better everyday players. Don't be so damn overbearing about what you want the game to look like.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:30 AM Post
I really do not want a 3 batter minimum. Baseball has always been a match up chess match. Don't take that away, which is exactly what you're doing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:44 AM Post
paul253 said:
I just can’t see a pitch clock working. First off what’s the penalty for violating the clock? Second what if it’s the batter that’s causing the delay? Third cant the catcher just call timeout if they are getting close?

Have you watched guys who come up from the minors who have had this clock in place? They pitch noticeably quicker.

It works. You don't pitch in 20 seconds it's a ball.
Catcher calling time counts as a mound visit.
Batter isn't in the box, the pitcher can pitch and it's called a strike.

Here is a sample size of 1, that someone took the time to study:
https://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-sea ... ame-length

Time between pitches is the primary villain. I tallied up all the pitches in both games that we’ll call inaction pitches — pitches that resulted in a ball, called strike, or swinging strike, but didn’t result in the end of an at-bat or the advancement of a runner. These are the pitches where the catcher caught the ball and threw it back to the pitcher, whose next step was to throw it back to the catcher. Foul balls didn’t count. The fourth ball of a plate appearance didn’t count. Stolen bases didn’t count. Wild pitches didn’t count. Just the pitches where contact wasn’t made, and the pitcher received a return throw from the catcher.

There were 146 inaction pitches in the 1984 game.

There were 144 of these pitches in the 2014 game.

The total time for the inaction pitches in 1984 — the elapsed time between a pitcher releasing one pitch and his release of the next pitch — was 32 minutes and 47 seconds.

The total time for inaction pitches in 2014 was 57 minutes and 41 seconds.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:54 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
MillerParkSouth said:
I wish the folks in charge of baseball (Manfred) actually liked the sport.

100% this.

I don’t understand this. The pitching/hitting balance is clearly out of whack and teams are manipulating the rules to the detriment of the entertainment value of the game. Ballparks are nearly empty in the 8th inning because nobody wants to sit through a bullpen chess match. It has no historical precedent in baseball history, it’s a new and undesired change.

The whole idea is to restore the game to a cleaner form. The game used to be faster. There used to be less pitching changes. They already abandoned the bad ideas like illegal defense.

I don’t worry about the Brewers. They are smart and will adapt to whatever the new rules are.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
I don't care for a minimum batter count for pitchers and I really like the gamesmanship that goes with a LOOGY and other short relief stints.

I would go with a play clock so to speak. If a theoretical or real pitch clock is 20 seconds then you have x seconds to make a pitching change. x would be some number closer to 30 than 60 in which the relief pitcher pitches his first pitch.

In my world the manager hits the top step of the dugout and signals a pitching change, clock starts. Actually the clock would have to start based on some combination of events to prevent coaches from milling around before making the call etc. Reliever comes in ready to pitch or warms up until ready. If he needs more time, catcher tells batter to step out of the box and a ball is called for 20 more seconds. Play moves on.

I just came up with this 5 minutes ago so I am sure there are plenty of what ifs that will come........could become the new intentional walk strategy I suppose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2019, 2:43 PM Post
Manfred has stated that there will be no DH or draft changes for this season and that the focus is on pace of play for the 2019 season. Looks like the DH and draft changes could be addressed in the new CBA for the 2022 season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
I don't think there should be mid-inning substitutions at all except for injury.

If you want to use two or more pitchers in an inning that's fine! They just have to play a different position on the field while they aren't pitching [smile].

I'm not even joking here. It would add a ridiculous amount of strategy, and the only reason traditionalists wouldn't like it is because they aren't traditional enough.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2019, 5:03 PM Post
JosephC said:
A blog (sorry no link) indicates that Ken Rosenthal has reported the following:

MLB proposed:
-Pitchers must face at least three batters
-Mound visits reduced from 6 to 4 in 2019 and from 4 to 3 in 2020
-Rosters expand from 25 to 26 in 2020
-September rosters decrease from 40 to 28 in 2020
-DL goes back to 15 days
-Time optioned player must stay in minors goes back to 15 days

MLB doesn't want the Brewers to win (or at least not the way they did it last year).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
One thing I don’t think that’s been discussed much is how much a 20 second pitch clock would totally affect the game. It goes much further than just being one rule change.

The 20 second pitch clock could work in theory for when there are no baserunners. Once a guy gets on base, the batter needs to be able to step out to get signs for the next pitch, as well as allow the base runner time to get back to the bag and get the signs as well.

If the batter is stepped out for 15 seconds, does the pitcher just need to rush his pitch in 5 seconds then? That doesn’t seem fair for the pitcher. It also wouldn’t make sense in that the baserunner now knows that the pitcher only has two seconds left to pitch it otherwise violates the rule. He could time it up and steal more bases much more easily.

But what if the pitcher were to step off? Does the clock automatically reset to 20 seconds? Couldn’t a pitcher continue to do that if he is running out of time? Seems like baseball would then need to implement a limit of how many times a pitcher can step off such as 10 times in a game. Would throwing over to first base reset the clock as well? Couldn’t a pitcher stall and throw it over 3 or 4 times in a row? On top of that, now we need pitchers to be aware of step off rules and possibly not being able to step off if all 10 were used up or only being able to pick off so many times after each pitch. Now the baserunner can just take off running knowing that the pitcher can no longer step off or try to pick them off.

To me, a pitch clock is going to cause a lot more rule changes and totally change the game that we all love. Having baseball get more complex and adding a ton of rules will really turn people away from the game. Baseball is simple and to me they are just muddying the waters, making it much more complex than it is meant to be, and creating their own issues that will result in a lot of people questioning the future of Major League Baseball.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply