LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 185 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Proposed MLB rule changes

Offline  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes

Posted: March 14, 2019, 8:37 AM Post
I get the feeling that perhaps the Brewers say the writing on the wall, which is why they acquired (and actually paid a pretty high price for) Claudio. He's a lefty that has the capability and is used to pitching to multiple hitters. This is why you didn't see them make any attempt to hang onto Jennings or Cedeno, despite the two of them putting up decent numbers overall last year.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Proposed MLB rule changes

Posted: March 14, 2019, 8:39 AM Post
So Jeffress walks out to the mound in September to start an inning after having not pitched in the last six days. He throws four pitches to the first batter and walks him. Of those four pitchers, three were fastballs and the highest velocity for any of those fastballs is 84 MPH. Counsell goes to the umpire and they walk out to the mound and Jeffress says he feels fine.

Should Counsell have the option of removing Jeffress in this situation? Umpire is standing right there and hears Jeffress saying that he feels fine.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
They're not going to be allowed to fake an injury or illness. I thought I had seen a report about such players requiring a stint on the DL.

Edit: I guess I should say IL not DL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Here's a good one to the rule:
Position players will be allowed to pitch only in extra innings or when their team is ahead or behind by more than seven runs.

So does this mean, that if the Brewers have a 2 weeks stretch with 4 off-days and decide to go with 14 hitters and 12 pitchers, that Milwaukee can then reclassify Hernan Perez as a pitcher? And if Hernan is then a pitcher, do we now have rules that indicate he can no longer play IF/OF for those games where he is listed as pitcher on the roster?

Last edited by JosephC on March 14, 2019, 9:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
Patrick425 said:
Fans will vote online for All-Star starters, and the top three vote-getters will take part in a one-day election

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. 3 players will take part in a one day "election"? How do you have an election with 3 people? Will it really an election or will those guys just decide who is on the remainder of the two rosters? Is it an election or is it a selection?

Pretty sure I read their will be a vote to get the top 3 for each position, then there is an election day between those 3, for all positions.

Oohhhh! I was reading that as the top 3 vote getters over all have a one day "election" where they are the "voters" (basically they select the rest of the team).

In regards to not being able to remove "pitchers that don't have it", I understand that walking a guy on 4 pitches does not automatically meant that a pitcher does not have it. My point is I don't like hampering the flexibility of a manager in a crucial situation. Lets say there is one guy on base late in a close game and the manager brings in a new pitcher. The new pitcher walks the next two batters and appears to be having some control issues. Now you have bases loaded. Most fans watching will probably be yelling at the TV or from their seats...get him out of there!! The manager does not always do this, but he should have the flexibility to do it. I don't care if these types of situations are rare, I don't like rule changes that take away that much flexibility from a manager, especially when the game may be on the line.

Last edited by Patrick425 on March 14, 2019, 9:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:03 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I get the feeling that perhaps the Brewers say the writing on the wall, which is why they acquired (and actually paid a pretty high price for) Claudio. He's a lefty that has the capability and is used to pitching to multiple hitters. This is why you didn't see them make any attempt to hang onto Jennings or Cedeno, despite the two of them putting up decent numbers overall last year.

Stearns picked the wrong guy then because righties feasted on Claudio last year and Claudio's three year splits against righties isn't any better than Jennings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding this. 3 players will take part in a one day "election"? How do you have an election with 3 people? Will it really an election or will those guys just decide who is on the remainder of the two rosters? Is it an election or is it a selection?[/quote]

Pretty sure I read their will be a vote to get the top 3 for each position, then there is an election day between those 3, for all positions.[/quote]

Oohhhh! I was reading that as the top 3 vote getters over all have a one day "election" where they are the "voters" (basically they select the rest of the team).

In regards to not being able to remove "pitchers that don't have it", I understand that walking a guy on 4 pitches does not automatically meant that a pitcher does not have it. My point is I don't like hampering the flexibility of a manager in a crucial situation. Lets say there is one guy on base late in a close game and the manager brings in a new pitcher. The new pitcher walks the next two batters and appears to be having some control issues. Now you have bases loaded. Most fans watching will probably be yelling at the TV or from their seats...get him out of there!! The manager does not always do this, but he should have the flexibility to do it. I don't care if these types of situations are rare, I don't like rule changes that take away that much flexibility from a manager, especially when the game may be on the line.[/quote]

Spit-balling solutions to that issue. Maybe the team gets one exemption per game. Still, I think this is all just over complicating things.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:42 AM Post
JosephC said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Position players will be allowed to pitch only in extra innings or when their team is ahead or behind by more than seven runs.

So does this mean, that if the Brewers have a 2 weeks stretch with 4 off-days and decide to go with 14 hitters and 12 pitchers, that Milwaukee can then reclassify Hernan Perez as a pitcher? And if Hernan is then a pitcher, do we now have rules that indicate he can no longer play IF/OF for those games where he is listed as pitcher on the roster?

Looks like per the press release:

You can bring a position player into pitch if down by more than 6.
You have to define a guy before the season. The only way a guy gets a definition of "2-way" is if he has a specific number of innings in the minors (I think 20+?). I could see some guy coming through the system given garbage innings to attain this but I'm not sure it is worth it on either end for that. You're taking time away from minors guys that actually will pitch and it will maybe affect one game all year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:42 AM Post
MLB needs to stop picking on pitchers to speed up games. How about the hitters that step out between every pitch and take 30 seconds to spit on their hands, adjust their gloves and find their stance in the box? That's why it's so much fun to watch guys like Miley and Suter work, because they work quick and mess up those hitters' stupid mid-pitch habits/routines.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:46 AM Post
JosephC said:
So Jeffress walks out to the mound in September to start an inning after having not pitched in the last six days. He throws four pitches to the first batter and walks him. Of those four pitchers, three were fastballs and the highest velocity for any of those fastballs is 84 MPH. Counsell goes to the umpire and they walk out to the mound and Jeffress says he feels fine.

Should Counsell have the option of removing Jeffress in this situation? Umpire is standing right there and hears Jeffress saying that he feels fine.

Or maybe you just fire your bullpen coach...as he should have noticed an problem during his warmup and communicated to CC that Jeffress just didn't have it that day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
JosephC said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Looks like per the press release:

You can bring a position player into pitch if down by more than 6.
You have to define a guy before the season. The only way a guy gets a definition of "2-way" is if he has a specific number of innings in the minors (I think 20+?). I could see some guy coming through the system given garbage innings to attain this but I'm not sure it is worth it on either end for that. You're taking time away from minors guys that actually will pitch and it will maybe affect one game all year.

What about a case like Matt Davidson, where I believe he pitched in college but I believe now the Rangers are giving him a chance both as a pitcher and position player. So technically he wouldn't hit any criteria, but they fully intend to utilize him as a 2 way player. Erceg might fall into that category at some point as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
Did they insert some type of agreement where 40 man roster players get a free month of MLB service time due to the new September roster rules? Because if they didn't, the MLBPA just agreed to a deal that could potentially cost 360 players a full month of MLB service time every year.

Maybe this was the "trade" for the additional roster spot. Although I feel the additional roster spot was something the league wanted to do anywhere, although I find it completely unnecessary...especially if they limit the amount of pitchers a team can carry.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:05 AM Post
I hate most of it. But I understand the need for the game to survive profitably and as a televised production.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
JosephC said:
Did they insert some type of agreement where 40 man roster players get a free month of MLB service time due to the new September roster rules? Because if they didn't, the MLBPA just agreed to a deal that could potentially cost 360 players a full month of MLB service time every year.

Maybe this was the "trade" for the additional roster spot. Although I feel the additional roster spot was something the league wanted to do anywhere, although I find it completely unnecessary...especially if they limit the amount of pitchers a team can carry.

Given that this goes into place basically with 1 year left in the CBA, I'm guessing the compromise may be a change to the rules where guys like Eloy and Kris Bryant go down to the minors for a month to start the year when they hit that negotiation (maybe?)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:09 AM Post
I think the 2 way players are for people like ohtani and kieshnick. It sounds like that would include davidson.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
These feel directed right at MKE and what they did last year:

"Injured List and Option Period for Pitchers: Subject to input from the joint committee, the minimum placement period for pitchers on the Injured List shall increase from 10 days to 15 days, and the minimum assignment period of pitchers who are optionally assigned to the minors will increase from 10 days to 15 days. "

"Elimination of 40-man active roster limit in September. From September 1st through the end of the championship season, all Clubs must carry 28 players on the active roster."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:

"Injured List and Option Period for Pitchers: Subject to input from the joint committee, the minimum placement period for pitchers on the Injured List shall increase from 10 days to 15 days, and the minimum assignment period of pitchers who are optionally assigned to the minors will increase from 10 days to 15 days. "

"Elimination of 40-man active roster limit in September. From September 1st through the end of the championship season, all Clubs must carry 28 players on the active roster."

Right. It's like the meeting started with "How can we ensure these innovative small market strategies stop working?" next guy is like "I know, we can change the rules and basically ban their strategy".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:

I think you're right. But I also think the Brewers are going to find ways to stretch the limits of the new rules in order to give themselves a tactical advantage as well. Smart ballclubs roll with the punches, and we finally have a smart ballclub.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:26 AM Post
Hilarious. They have decided to attack the problem that isn't a problem.

Going down from 3.9 to 3.5 pitchers per game isn't going to speed the games up noticeably.

Reducing the inaction between pitches when nothing happened will.

Get the ball, pitch the ball. That's the fix that needs to happen.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:35 AM Post
Right, the goal should be to reduce down time between pitches and innings as much as possible. But really the main thing that makes the sport slow/boring to young people or non diehards is lack of balls in play/action. Really I don't see a solution, make the zone smaller and it's more walks. Make the zone bigger it's more strikeouts. The evolution of baseball that made everyone learn how valuable walks/obp (so they're taking a ton of pitches) are is really a key part to this and you can't change that without changing the fundamental rules of the game.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on March 14, 2019, 10:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 185 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply