LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie?

Posted: February 09, 2019, 8:57 PM Post
It's a minor league signing so whatever. As to him taking AB's away from guys, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in extended ST since he hasn't played in two years. And when he's finally assigned I doubt they just stick him at AAA, he'll probably go where ever he can get the most AB's without taking time away from any real prospects.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie?

Posted: February 09, 2019, 9:15 PM Post
A signing like this says nothing about the plans for the major league roster. You're not doing this to answer doubts you have about your plans there. This says nothing about Shaw, Hiura, Perez, Spangenberg, Dubon, potentially Moustaska, etc.

It's a flyer folks. Do you start making life altering decisions after purchasing a lottery ticket? Look at it this signing that way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't see any real downside in this. It's a minor league deal. No one is expecting Lawrie to be a major league player come April. After not playing for two years, he's doing to need to some playing time to get back into playing shape (mental and physical).

If Lawrie does well, he gives you a versatile right handed bat. If he fails - well, such is life.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2019, 10:56 PM Post
Even if he does start the season at AAA, the playing time angle is really only an issue if he, Gatewood and Erceg are all on the AAA roster to start the season. If Erceg starts the year in AA or Gatewood isn't ready coming out of spring training, then he'd slot into the spot that player is assumed to get.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2019, 11:28 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I don't see any real downside in this. It's a minor league deal. No one is expecting Lawrie to be a major league player come April. After not playing for two years, he's doing to need to some playing time to get back into playing shape (mental and physical).

If Lawrie does well, he gives you a versatile right handed bat. If he fails - well, such is life.

Agreed. There's no risk here...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
Even if Lawrie returned to his previous form, he's not much of an upgrade over Perez who's the ultimate team guy too. But there's nothing to lose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 9:28 AM Post
I don't like people calling people tools from their actions when they were a teenager or in their very early 20's. Perhaps he is but I would think that life may have humbled him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 9:40 AM Post
I'm not sure it's necessarily a one or the other situation, but here's a comparison of Lawrie's last three years in the bigs vs. Perez' last three years:

vs. RHP       PA   HR    AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS   wOBA   wRC+
------- --- -- --- --- --- --- ---- ----
Lawrie 962 29 .248 .300 .397 .697 .304 92
Perez 824 22 .249 .284 .382 .666 .287 73

vs. LHP PA HR AVG OBP SLG OPS wOBA wRC+
------- --- -- --- --- --- --- ---- ----
Lawrie 306 11 .270 .311 .460 .771 .331 110
Perez 398 14 .289 .314 .472 .786 .331 103

Lawrie not being much better than Perez is fair against lefties, but Lawrie has shown a bit more competency against righties.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:03 AM Post
GM of the year type of a move. If Lawrie contributes to us winning again, just another feather in the cap for Stearns to go down this road. Hopefully, it'll pan out for us, only time will tell.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
I think many here are ignoring the potential upside of Lawrie, I also think many are too focused on what he did 3-5 years ago. He's always been much more talented than his MLB numbers have indicated. Lawrie won't see the MLB club if he's only doing OK in AAA. But I think his upside is an all-star at the MLB level, just as it was in his time in the minors. If his injury issues are behind him and his head is in the right place, this could be a steal.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 10, 2019, 11:35 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
his head is in the right place, this could be a steal.

That's the big question right there. I don't think there is any debate when looking at the history of this player. He's a million dollar talent with a 10 cent head. I don't think it's too late for him. But his patience will likely be tried with the Brewers because he'll start the year in the minors and Hiura and Erceg have to be considered the favorites to play 2B and 3B in AAA to start the year. Lawrie probably has to start in AA and work his way back up. I'm surprised the Brewers could even find a spot for him. Hopefully this is not an indication that Stearns just doesn't think that Erceg is a major league player.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 10, 2019, 12:13 PM Post
JosephC said:
That's the big question right there. I don't think there is any debate when looking at the history of this player. He's a million dollar talent with a 10 cent head. I don't think it's too late for him. But his patience will likely be tried with the Brewers because he'll start the year in the minors and Hiura and Erceg have to be considered the favorites to play 2B and 3B in AAA to start the year. Lawrie probably has to start in AA and work his way back up. I'm surprised the Brewers could even find a spot for him. Hopefully this is not an indication that Stearns just doesn't think that Erceg is a major league player.

I doubt that Erceg would have gotten a spring training invite if they were that down on him. It wouldn't shock me if he spent the first half of the year in AA, though. He did struggle most of last year, so I don't know that an automatic promotion is a given.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
I like this move and hopefully he can contribute at some point for the crew

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
I think Lawrie would have been a better player 2015-16 if he wasn't kind of a nut job and bouncing around teams. I think it's possible he could have a career year in an age 30 or 31 season, I don't know how long it's going to take him to get back to baseball shape though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
StearnsFTW said:
Meh. Whatever.

One of the really great things about last year's team was the absence of knobs (other than maybe Braun).

Not a huge deal, but Lawrie is a class A knob.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Everything we've heard is how Braun is a terrific, supportive teammate.
Things Brewers fans will apparently never let go of:

- Hank Aaron admitted to taking a "greenie" once.
- Paul Molitor used cocaine in the '80s.
- Ryan Braun took banned substances.
- Josh Hader made some offensive tweets when he was in high school.
- And I guess now, Brett Lawrie had his photo taken while doing dumb frat boy type stuff.

I sometimes think no other fan base is harder on their own players than Brewers fans.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
Invader3K said:
DHonks said:
StearnsFTW said:
Meh. Whatever.

One of the really great things about last year's team was the absence of knobs (other than maybe Braun).

Not a huge deal, but Lawrie is a class A knob.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Everything we've heard is how Braun is a terrific, supportive teammate.
Things Brewers fans will apparently never let go of:

- Hank Aaron admitted to taking a "greenie" once.
- Paul Molitor used cocaine in the '80s.
- Ryan Braun took banned substances.
- Josh Hader made some offensive tweets when he was in high school.
- And I guess now, Brett Lawrie had his photo taken while doing dumb frat boy type stuff.

I sometimes think no other fan base is harder on their own players than Brewers fans.

Ehh, Cubs fans were cursing the Murphy trade even as he was playing for them(and playing well) because of previous homophobic comments. That's admittedly worse than Josh Hader and others considering how recently they were made...but I don't think this type of nonsense is specific to Brewer fans.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
[laughing]

Lot of reaction to what was basically a throw away comment. I don't care about Braun's past much, but some do.

And yeah I forgot about Hader. Although I really didn't hold that against him much personally. He was 17. Dumb stuff occurs at that age

Also, Lawrie is by many accounts a knob, and it certainly isn't because of the duct tape/beer picture when he was 18 or whatever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 8:02 PM Post
Lawrie was reportedly pulled from games in AA for not running hard. Braun often makes routine plays look very close due to his hustle.

Hopefully Brett has learned and been humbled. We could use him to show his energy/hustle, with a new sense of leadership and patience.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
StearnsFTW said:

Lot of reaction to what was basically a throw away comment. I don't care about Braun's past much, but some do.

Sounded like you were calling Braun a knob, and that was based on his past, what else could it have been?

"One of the really great things about last year's team was the absence of knobs (other than maybe Braun)."

That statement looks more like you do care since you called him a knob...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 8:48 PM Post
Will he be moving back to catcher?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply