LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Author Message
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#61

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
Posts: 2638
I'm not holding my breath for Lawrie, but I'd sure love it if this turns out well for both him & the Brewers. Depth is that much better when it translates into success at the MLB level.

In his early years I was highly unimpressed with what I perceived his character to be based on the reports many have referenced (directly or otherwise). I'd hope he's grown (or, as it may pertain, grown up) considerably compared to 10 years ago in the same way I think we'd all hope for ourselves that we've grown a lot over the same time span, no matter our current age.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#62

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:38 PM Post
Posts: 83
Would just hate to see this turn into another Jeremy Jeffress case. Hate to see it


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#63

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9375
Let's wait and see how this turns out the kid is still pretty young.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#64

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 241
Next up: re sign Yuniesky Betancourt, move Shaw to second. Could you imagine lol


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#65

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:53 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 241
brewmann04 said:
Let's wait and see how this turns out the kid is still pretty young.



It’s hard to believe he’s only 5 years older than me. I feel like we traded him a decade ago


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#66

Posted: February 11, 2019, 12:56 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 57
wallus said:
Will he be moving back to catcher?


Will they sign Vinny Rottino to back him up? [devil]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#67

Posted: February 11, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5594
PDCBalla said:
Would just hate to see this turn into another Jeremy Jeffress case. Hate to see it


I don't understand what you're saying. Jeffress has been extremely successful since he returned to the Brewers. If Lawrie can replicate Jeffress's success, it means that the Brewers just added an ll-Star bat to the lineup.

Please, please explain what you're getting at here, because I don't see a downside.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#68

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:57 AM Post
Posts: 2711
Maybe should be in blue?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#69

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5594
Outlander said:
Maybe should be in blue?


I hope so. Now that I read it again, you are probably right. Too early in the morning.

That blue is pretty important.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#70

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:38 AM Post
Posts: 83
You haven't heard that expression before? Guess I should've realized not everyone would understand. Yes I would just hate to see Brett turn into an All-star like Jeremy did. Hate to see him find his way with the team that drafted him. Hate to see it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#71

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:52 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5594
PDCBalla said:
You haven't heard that expression before? Guess I should've realized not everyone would understand. Yes I would just hate to see Brett turn into an All-star like Jeremy did. Hate to see him find his way with the team that drafted him. Hate to see it.


Thanks ... sorry for my dense-ness. Sometimes it's hard to tell around here if people are being serious. For instance, there were a few posters ready to DFA Jeffress following his hiccups in the playoffs last year. Gotta see the forest through the trees sometimes [wink]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#72

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8052
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#73

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:46 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9386
wallus said:
Will he be moving back to catcher?


I totally forgot he was drafted as a catcher.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#74

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:53 AM Post
Posts: 4018
Location: New Berlin, WI
jerichoholicninja said:
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.


That certainly helps, the more obvious motivation is probably not earning the paycheck he was used to for a couple years. Guys with one foot out the door tend to have every motivation to try and get back in the game. That's basically where Wade Miley was heading into 2018.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#75

Posted: February 11, 2019, 11:32 AM Post
Posts: 1855
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
PDCBalla said:
You haven't heard that expression before? Guess I should've realized not everyone would understand. Yes I would just hate to see Brett turn into an All-star like Jeremy did. Hate to see him find his way with the team that drafted him. Hate to see it.


Thanks ... sorry for my dense-ness. Sometimes it's hard to tell around here if people are being serious. For instance, there were a few posters ready to DFA Jeffress following his hiccups in the playoffs last year. Gotta see the forest through the trees sometimes [wink]


Don't kick yourself. You weren't the only one wondering on that post.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#76

Posted: February 11, 2019, 12:06 PM Post
Posts: 7852
jerichoholicninja said:
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete BF.net poster to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.


Fixed


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#77

Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
Posts: 129
I think this has all the makings of a great sleeper signing. To me the apparent humility and gratitude implicit in his Instagram post is a far, far cry from the behavior of an arrogant 21-year old who refused an assignment to the AFL, posted all those stupid pictures and dissed teammates. He seems to have learned something from his two-year trip to the wilderness, and seems genuinely grateful that the Brewers are giving him another chance. If he has stayed in baseball shape - look out. He's still only 29.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#78

Posted: February 11, 2019, 4:38 PM Post
Posts: 2638
homer said:
wallus said:
Will he be moving back to catcher?


I totally forgot he was drafted as a catcher.

IIRC, it was he who told the organization he was changing positions.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#79

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:12 PM Post
Posts: 4068
SandyTolan said:
I think this has all the makings of a great sleeper signing. To me the apparent humility and gratitude implicit in his Instagram post is a far, far cry from the behavior of an arrogant 21-year old who refused an assignment to the AFL, posted all those stupid pictures and dissed teammates. He seems to have learned something from his two-year trip to the wilderness, and seems genuinely grateful that the Brewers are giving him another chance. If he has stayed in baseball shape - look out. He's still only 29.


I think he'll be a surprise.

Maybe not Jeffress-level, but anyone remember how Cirillo turned it around after some down years? I think he'll be at least as useful as Cirillo was in his second stint.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]
#80

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9375
This is a no lose signing and could turn out very well for the Crew


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test