LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
I'm not holding my breath for Lawrie, but I'd sure love it if this turns out well for both him & the Brewers. Depth is that much better when it translates into success at the MLB level.

In his early years I was highly unimpressed with what I perceived his character to be based on the reports many have referenced (directly or otherwise). I'd hope he's grown (or, as it may pertain, grown up) considerably compared to 10 years ago in the same way I think we'd all hope for ourselves that we've grown a lot over the same time span, no matter our current age.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:38 PM Post
Would just hate to see this turn into another Jeremy Jeffress case. Hate to see it

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:42 PM Post
Let's wait and see how this turns out the kid is still pretty young.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
Next up: re sign Yuniesky Betancourt, move Shaw to second. Could you imagine lol

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:53 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
Let's wait and see how this turns out the kid is still pretty young.

It’s hard to believe he’s only 5 years older than me. I feel like we traded him a decade ago

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 12:56 AM Post
wallus said:
Will he be moving back to catcher?

Will they sign Vinny Rottino to back him up? [devil]

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 11, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
PDCBalla said:
Would just hate to see this turn into another Jeremy Jeffress case. Hate to see it

I don't understand what you're saying. Jeffress has been extremely successful since he returned to the Brewers. If Lawrie can replicate Jeffress's success, it means that the Brewers just added an ll-Star bat to the lineup.

Please, please explain what you're getting at here, because I don't see a downside.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:57 AM Post
Maybe should be in blue?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Brett Lawrie? [Yes - MiLB deal w 2020 club option - see post #7]

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
Outlander said:
Maybe should be in blue?

I hope so. Now that I read it again, you are probably right. Too early in the morning.

That blue is pretty important.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:38 AM Post
You haven't heard that expression before? Guess I should've realized not everyone would understand. Yes I would just hate to see Brett turn into an All-star like Jeremy did. Hate to see him find his way with the team that drafted him. Hate to see it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:52 AM Post
PDCBalla said:
You haven't heard that expression before? Guess I should've realized not everyone would understand. Yes I would just hate to see Brett turn into an All-star like Jeremy did. Hate to see him find his way with the team that drafted him. Hate to see it.

Thanks ... sorry for my dense-ness. Sometimes it's hard to tell around here if people are being serious. For instance, there were a few posters ready to DFA Jeffress following his hiccups in the playoffs last year. Gotta see the forest through the trees sometimes [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:

I totally forgot he was drafted as a catcher.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:53 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.

That certainly helps, the more obvious motivation is probably not earning the paycheck he was used to for a couple years. Guys with one foot out the door tend to have every motivation to try and get back in the game. That's basically where Wade Miley was heading into 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 11:32 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
PDCBalla said:

Thanks ... sorry for my dense-ness. Sometimes it's hard to tell around here if people are being serious. For instance, there were a few posters ready to DFA Jeffress following his hiccups in the playoffs last year. Gotta see the forest through the trees sometimes [wink]

Don't kick yourself. You weren't the only one wondering on that post.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 12:06 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
He has a kid coming soon. He wouldn't be the first young punk athlete BF.net poster to turn himself around after becoming a parent. So there's that.

Fixed

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
I think this has all the makings of a great sleeper signing. To me the apparent humility and gratitude implicit in his Instagram post is a far, far cry from the behavior of an arrogant 21-year old who refused an assignment to the AFL, posted all those stupid pictures and dissed teammates. He seems to have learned something from his two-year trip to the wilderness, and seems genuinely grateful that the Brewers are giving him another chance. If he has stayed in baseball shape - look out. He's still only 29.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 4:38 PM Post
homer said:
wallus said:

I totally forgot he was drafted as a catcher.

IIRC, it was he who told the organization he was changing positions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:12 PM Post
SandyTolan said:
I think this has all the makings of a great sleeper signing. To me the apparent humility and gratitude implicit in his Instagram post is a far, far cry from the behavior of an arrogant 21-year old who refused an assignment to the AFL, posted all those stupid pictures and dissed teammates. He seems to have learned something from his two-year trip to the wilderness, and seems genuinely grateful that the Brewers are giving him another chance. If he has stayed in baseball shape - look out. He's still only 29.

I think he'll be a surprise.

Maybe not Jeffress-level, but anyone remember how Cirillo turned it around after some down years? I think he'll be at least as useful as Cirillo was in his second stint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
This is a no lose signing and could turn out very well for the Crew

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply