LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Moose is back! [1 yr/$10mm guaranteed; $11mm mutual 2020 option -- post #186]

Offline  Re: Moose is back! [1 yr/$10mm guaranteed; $11mm mutual 2020 option -- post #186]
Posted: June 09, 2019, 8:14 PM Post
Best 10 Million the brewers spent

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Moose is back! [1 yr/$10mm guaranteed; $11mm mutual 2020 option -- post #186]
Posted: June 09, 2019, 8:51 PM Post
I think it will depend on how this season ends up. If we flounder down the stretch and miss the playoffs I can't see us re-signing Moose or Grandal. Likewise, if we win the World Series I can't see them coming back either. If things keep chugging along well and we perform well in the playoffs but come up just a bit short (again) then I could see how an extension could make sense.

It doesn't seem like it would be a wise long term financial decision, but if Stearns and MA believe it to be so, then it will be so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
Given our "window" is probably the next 2-3 years, would make sense to keep the assets like Grandal and Moose that we can, given that any help coming from the farm probably wouldn't be here until Yelich and others have moved on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 5:33 AM Post
An extension might or might not make sense. If it's the 2/24 type of deals that Springer and LeMahieu got, that'd be fine. He doesn't need to be amazing for that to be worth it. If it's more years or a higher AAV, I'd be a bit cautious.

Needless to say though this depends a lot on what else goes on with the roster. Does Shaw recover to be at least a league-average 3B or better? Does Hiura keep hitting when he inevitably comes back up later in the year? Does the rotation appear to be settled and not in need of major spending? Will Anderson's and Thames' options be used? Extending Grandal?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
I was pretty indifferent on this signing at the time, but man he's been a godsend. Hope he can keep it up!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:

Is Shaw really that talented? I mean, they're all talented in the perspective that they got to this level, but I never really thought of Shaw as a guy who was just primed to break out at this level because of natural talent. I thought of him more as a guy who worked hard and always seemed to outperform his talent level until this season.

He's got a pretty sweet swing and bat speed. I don't know, called it skilled and hard working if you want, but back to back 4 WAR seasons =very productive. And he was extremely productive for the Red Sox before they gave up on him too early and have lamented the move ever sense.

So it'd be foolish for the Brewers to do the very same thing after he's been so productive.

But, I guess the adjective is up to you. I think he's that talented.

I agree.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 10:50 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
If by some miracle Moose accepts the option go for it. However, I'm in camp pump the brakes for anything else. It's probably likely the Brewers just got the best season of his career for $10 million. Given his age, probably ceiling and price, he seems like a good candidate for a team needing to know when it already lucked out.

I tend to agree with this. It's so easy to say "he's good, we can't let him get away, just pay him". Despite record spending, we can't forget the Brewers are a small market team with restrictions. We need to draft/develop and roll primarily talented players with team control to be competitive. We can't sign a good player to a long term deal at every position, heck even the Cubs can't afford to spend $10-15 million per player. If the pitching develops as hoped and we are able to plug many other holes with guys in the minors...maybe Moose fits the budget. I don't think that's likely though. I think expecting the Brewers to sign him to a 2-3 year deal for $12-15 million per year next offseason would not be wise and would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
Mutual options just aren't something you can ever count on being exercised. If Moose keeps up the year he's having he's going to want to take one last crack at getting the 5/80 or so in free agency that he's been after the last two offseasons, and I certainly wouldn't blame him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 11:04 AM Post
Was there ever audio of Moose confirming that he had at least one multi-year deal that he turned down? Or any further proof other than a tweet by Jon Heyman? Just curious...

Also...this was a great signing then and is proving to be one of the most significant signings we've had. Imagine where we'd be if Stearns wasn't able to lock down Grandal and Moose with Attanasio opening up his check-book a bit wider to make it happen.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 11:16 AM Post
Forget about the mutual option already. Unless he falls off a cliff there is no way in heck he is exercising that. To him that is a $8mil option because he gets $3mil from the buyout regardless and the option is worth $11mil.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply