LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 151 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?

Author Message
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 02, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
Posts: 4009
Lathund said:
JosephC said:
After the 300+ million dollar contracts earned by Harper and Machado, in addition to a bunch of notable large extensions, I would have figured the sports media would have laid off of this by now.


Opening day payroll went down for the second year in a row, while revenues increased (Or they did in 2017, we don't know about 2018 yet I don't think). As long as that keeps happening this will go on. The top tier of players were never the issue, Harper and Machado were always going to get paid.


If I recall that figure was based largely off signing bonus accounting for a handful of the game's most expensive contracts (Trout, Scherzer, Kershaw, Harper, Machado, and a couple others). That accounting alone decreased average player salaries $82K for 2019, making its payroll decrease compared to 2018 $36K. If not for that accounting, the average MLB salary would have risen almost $50K from 2018-2019.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 12, 2019, 4:12 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1539
Do players have to join the MLBPA? If not, are there any players now in the league that aren't in the MLBPA? I seem to recall Griffey not being a member--but that may only been for a short time. What is the cost of membership? When do they join? As soon as they are placed on the 40 man roster?

I tend to doubt the claims of players that THEY are the product. The stadium is the product and the show is the product and winning is the product. Winning only happens with the best players. Owners should want to win by paying the best players in order for people to come to the ballpark.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 12, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5211
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oxy said:
Do players have to join the MLBPA? If not, are there any players now in the league that aren't in the MLBPA? I seem to recall Griffey not being a member--but that may only been for a short time. What is the cost of membership? When do they join? As soon as they are placed on the 40 man roster?

I tend to doubt the claims of players that THEY are the product. The stadium is the product and the show is the product and winning is the product. Winning only happens with the best players. Owners should want to win by paying the best players in order for people to come to the ballpark.


Damian Miller is the most recent player I can remember who wasn't part of the MLBPA. Players do not have to join the MLBPA. According to the MLBPA website:
Q: Who is eligible for membership in the Association?

A: All players, managers, coaches and trainers who hold a signed contract with a Major League club are eligible for membership in the Association. In collective bargaining, the Association represents around 1,200 players, or the number of players on each club's 40-man roster, in addition to any players on the disabled list.

Q: How much are union dues?

A: The players' dues are $85 per day during the season.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211785603


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 12, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1539
So pre-arby guys spend ~$15,000 of their $550,000 salary on union dues? Just checking.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
Posts: 976
Oxy said:
So pre-arby guys spend ~$15,000 of their $550,000 salary on union dues? Just checking.


I'm not familiar at all with unions. Is around 3% of your salary anywhere close to "normal" union dues?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 7:52 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1967
stalton said:
Oxy said:
So pre-arby guys spend ~$15,000 of their $550,000 salary on union dues? Just checking.


I'm not familiar at all with unions. Is around 3% of your salary anywhere close to "normal" union dues?


Not sure what normal union dues are either, but I'm also not sure of any other union that guarantees a $34,000 annual pension after only 43 days on the job.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 5:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8143
I believe Barry Bonds wasn't a member or not a full member or something like that. Something to do with licensing his likeness I believe.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 8:39 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10794
jerichoholicninja said:
I believe Barry Bonds wasn't a member or not a full member or something like that. Something to do with licensing his likeness I believe.



Yeah in video games that were allowed to use player names they still had a goofy fill in name for Bonds.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 8:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18208
Ennder said:
jerichoholicninja said:
I believe Barry Bonds wasn't a member or not a full member or something like that. Something to do with licensing his likeness I believe.



Yeah in video games that were allowed to use player names they still had a goofy fill in name for Bonds.


I hit so many dingers with Jon Dowd in MVP Baseball 2005.

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 10:20 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 82
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Was it Damian Miller who wasn’t a member either and wasn’t in Video Games?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 14, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2356
Yes, Miller isn't a member of the MLBPA. He was a replacement player in the 1994 strike and those guys were not allowed to join. Kevin Millar is probably the most well known guy in that category.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 151 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test