LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 151 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?

Offline  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 02, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
Lathund said:
JosephC said:
After the 300+ million dollar contracts earned by Harper and Machado, in addition to a bunch of notable large extensions, I would have figured the sports media would have laid off of this by now.

Opening day payroll went down for the second year in a row, while revenues increased (Or they did in 2017, we don't know about 2018 yet I don't think). As long as that keeps happening this will go on. The top tier of players were never the issue, Harper and Machado were always going to get paid.

If I recall that figure was based largely off signing bonus accounting for a handful of the game's most expensive contracts (Trout, Scherzer, Kershaw, Harper, Machado, and a couple others). That accounting alone decreased average player salaries $82K for 2019, making its payroll decrease compared to 2018 $36K. If not for that accounting, the average MLB salary would have risen almost $50K from 2018-2019.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is a strike looming, or is this fake news?
Posted: April 12, 2019, 4:12 PM Post
Do players have to join the MLBPA? If not, are there any players now in the league that aren't in the MLBPA? I seem to recall Griffey not being a member--but that may only been for a short time. What is the cost of membership? When do they join? As soon as they are placed on the 40 man roster?

I tend to doubt the claims of players that THEY are the product. The stadium is the product and the show is the product and winning is the product. Winning only happens with the best players. Owners should want to win by paying the best players in order for people to come to the ballpark.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 12, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
Oxy said:
Do players have to join the MLBPA? If not, are there any players now in the league that aren't in the MLBPA? I seem to recall Griffey not being a member--but that may only been for a short time. What is the cost of membership? When do they join? As soon as they are placed on the 40 man roster?

I tend to doubt the claims of players that THEY are the product. The stadium is the product and the show is the product and winning is the product. Winning only happens with the best players. Owners should want to win by paying the best players in order for people to come to the ballpark.

Damian Miller is the most recent player I can remember who wasn't part of the MLBPA. Players do not have to join the MLBPA. According to the MLBPA website:
Q: Who is eligible for membership in the Association?

A: All players, managers, coaches and trainers who hold a signed contract with a Major League club are eligible for membership in the Association. In collective bargaining, the Association represents around 1,200 players, or the number of players on each club's 40-man roster, in addition to any players on the disabled list.

Q: How much are union dues?

A: The players' dues are $85 per day during the season.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211785603

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 12, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
So pre-arby guys spend ~$15,000 of their $550,000 salary on union dues? Just checking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
Oxy said:
So pre-arby guys spend ~$15,000 of their $550,000 salary on union dues? Just checking.

I'm not familiar at all with unions. Is around 3% of your salary anywhere close to "normal" union dues?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 7:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
stalton said:
Oxy said:

I'm not familiar at all with unions. Is around 3% of your salary anywhere close to "normal" union dues?

Not sure what normal union dues are either, but I'm also not sure of any other union that guarantees a $34,000 annual pension after only 43 days on the job.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 5:03 PM Post
I believe Barry Bonds wasn't a member or not a full member or something like that. Something to do with licensing his likeness I believe.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 8:39 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I believe Barry Bonds wasn't a member or not a full member or something like that. Something to do with licensing his likeness I believe.

Yeah in video games that were allowed to use player names they still had a goofy fill in name for Bonds.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 8:56 PM Post
Ennder said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Yeah in video games that were allowed to use player names they still had a goofy fill in name for Bonds.

I hit so many dingers with Jon Dowd in MVP Baseball 2005.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2019, 10:20 PM Post
Was it Damian Miller who wasn’t a member either and wasn’t in Video Games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 14, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yes, Miller isn't a member of the MLBPA. He was a replacement player in the 1994 strike and those guys were not allowed to join. Kevin Millar is probably the most well known guy in that category.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 151 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply