LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 BREWERS OPTIMISM THREAD

Online  Re: 2019 BREWERS OPTIMISM THREAD

Posted: April 03, 2019, 1:16 PM Post
Brewers have more wins currently than the rest of the division combined!!! What a 1st week!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 BREWERS OPTIMISM THREAD

Posted: April 03, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
The Brewers' current rotation is making a TOTAL of $11,038,800 dollars.

Conversely, the Cubs' current rotation is making ~$85,500,000 dollars this year - plus they are stowing last year's failed FA starter acquisition (Chatwood) in their bullpen at $12,500,000.

It is so fun to have good young pitching, with seemingly more coming in the pipeline!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 1:55 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:

Conversely, the Cubs' current rotation is making ~$85,500,000 dollars this year - plus they are stowing last year's failed FA starter acquisition (Chatwood) in their bullpen at $12,500,000.

It is so fun to have good young pitching, with seemingly more coming in the pipeline!

Plus they paid Drew Smyly $3 million to not throw one pitch for them last year, then traded him this spring, after he was fully recovered, in a cost-cutting move. I'm still chuckling about that one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 2:22 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:

I really thought that signing was a good one. Maybe it would have been here, but I looked as his stats in Coors, his peripherals and then his name rec and the contract he was likely to get and was really hoping we'd sign him to a 3/27 type deal. And he has been just awful. I kn. ew he had walk problems, but he also got a lot of GB's and K's. And Darvish...I haven't even checked in to see what he's done this year. I know he had a bad start already, but god we dodged a couple bullets that year. I have a feeling we'll be saying that about Kuechel in a few years as well

Sometimes it's a lot of fun to be wrong.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 3:49 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:

This post is great. I simply sent a friend who is a Cubs fan a text saying "Tyler Chatwood is making more than the whole Brewers starting rotation"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 3:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
In the Cubs defense, they did just sign David Bote to a five-year extension.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
homer said:

Is this supposed to be in blue? It looks like they are trying to give him starts at 2B, but his everyday position is 3B - same as Bryant. I guess this will help soften the blow after Bryant leaves via FA in a few offseasons? Bote had that dramatic grand slam to win a game against the Nats and maybe one other game winning HR, and he's a very nice defensive player...but he's probably the last young position player on their roster I'd be concerned about getting locked up long term with the Cubs.

Good for Bote getting this type of deal - he's essentially a backup player years away from FA and could easily be the MLB player he was down the stretch last year where his production cratered. If he does become a good MLB everyday player the Cubs have a couple affordable option years they can tack on at the end of it.

Bringing this back to the Brewers' optimism thread, I'll put my tinfoil hat on and say this Bote extension didn't come together until after Theo & company saw all these pre-free agency extensions and approached Bryant and Baez to see if they wanted to join the trend - and they promptly told them to pound sand.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 9:46 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
Fear The Chorizo said:

I really thought that signing was a good one. Maybe it would have been here, but I looked as his stats in Coors, his peripherals and then his name rec and the contract he was likely to get and was really hoping we'd sign him to a 3/27 type deal. And he has been just awful. I kn. ew he had walk problems, but he also got a lot of GB's and K's. And Darvish...I haven't even checked in to see what he's done this year. I know he had a bad start already, but god we dodged a couple bullets that year. I have a feeling we'll be saying that about Kuechel in a few years as well

Sometimes it's a lot of fun to be wrong.

I thought the same about Chatwood. And all Sterns signed was some guy named Chasin who was good in the cavernous Petco park and bad on the road to pitch in cozy Miller Park. I'm beginning to think that Sterns knows a bit more about player evaluation than I do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 10:36 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I can't wait to feast on the Cubs' bullpen this weekend.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2019, 11:59 PM Post
homer said:

This would be like us sign Hernan Perez to a 5 year deal

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2019, 8:39 AM Post
“The history of 1-6 starts is incredibly ignominious. Over the last 35 years, 68 teams have started 1-6 or worse. Twelve of them finished over .500. Only three made the playoffs.“

We sweep the cubs and history would show they won’t make playoffs. I can dig!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
“The history of 1-6 starts is incredibly ignominious. Over the last 35 years, 68 teams have started 1-6 or worse. Twelve of them finished over .500. Only three made the playoffs.“

We sweep the cubs and history would show they won’t make playoffs. I can dig!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
Brewers are perfect in 1 run games so far! We will easily eclipse 100 runs at this clip.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2019, 11:37 AM Post
I think the Brewers will go through the Cubs' bullpen like a shark in a swimming pool

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2019, 11:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
Fear The Chorizo said:
homer said:

Is this supposed to be in blue? .

yes

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2019, 4:28 PM Post
A sweep of the Cubs will put them 7.5 back on April 7th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2019, 6:18 AM Post
I find it funny the Cubs board has a "2019 NEGATIVITY THREAD".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2019, 6:54 AM Post
Jimbo said:
I find it funny the Cubs board has a "2019 NEGATIVITY THREAD".

We used to have a Pessimism Thread here. It was pointless though. This team has never given us anything to be pessimistic about [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2019, 6:56 AM Post
MadScientist said:
A sweep of the Cubs will put them 7.5 back on April 7th.

Pressure has to be building on the Cubs to stop the bleeding, golden opportunity to kick them while they are down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
I would argue NO TEAM will improve as much as this team over the course of the full season. From the improvement or our young guns as they gain experience, to bullpen reinforcements, trade deadline acquisitions, even moose at turning two. Wow this team gonna be awful tough to beat later in the year.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply