LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Christian Yelich

Offline  Re: Christian Yelich
Posted: August 07, 2019, 6:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yelich is on the verge of becoming the 19th player in Major League Baseball history to achieve a 40+ HR and 20+ SB season (list link), some of those other 18 did it multiple times.

Yelich has a real shot at becoming the first player in MLB history to record 50+ home runs and 30+ steals in a season. He is currently at 39 HR and 23 SB with 47 games remaining.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:01 AM Post
It would be more surprising if he didn't get the 50/30 IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:06 AM Post
All this talk about 50/30 reminds me of a childhood favorite, Eric Davis, and just how close he was to being a 30/80 guy and a 40/60 guy in 86 and 87. He just couldn't stay healthy.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... er01.shtml

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:11 AM Post
Shout out to Ryan Braun who was once a 40-30 guy. I think only 8 or so are on that list and it includes quite the names.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
Baldkin said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
How many wins do the Brewers have without Yelich?

3. Maybe 4.

We are 7-6 in the games Yelich didn't start this season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 18, 2019, 9:38 AM Post
Christian Yelich is the first player with a 40 homer/20 stolen base season in MLB since 2012 when, you guessed it, Ryan Braun accomplished the feat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 18, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
His stats are even more remarkable seeing as he’s missed about 10% of the Brewers games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2019, 8:46 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Yelich is on the verge of becoming the 19th player in Major League Baseball history to achieve a 40+ HR and 20+ SB season (list link), some of those other 18 did it multiple times.

Yelich has a real shot at becoming the first player in MLB history to record 50+ home runs and 30+ steals in a season. He is currently at 39 HR and 23 SB with 47 games remaining.

25 games left, if he plays in all of them and keeps up his current HR pace (per game played), he'll hit 9 more homers. and set the single season HR record for the Brewers.

He'd also steal 5 more bases and give himself a 50/30 season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2019, 11:51 AM Post
All I know is we are blessed to have this talented player on our favorite team. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2019, 5:28 AM Post
Repeat of last September could be brewing with this Guy. And since our offense is so banged up, that might be the “carry the team on his shoulders” finish that gets him his 2nd straight MVP.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2019, 5:48 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Repeat of last September could be brewing with this Guy. And since our offense is so banged up, that might be the “carry the team on his shoulders” finish that gets him his 2nd straight MVP.

Unless we make the playoffs I doubt he'll win it this year. IMO he is the MVP. The other teams with leading MVP candidates would still be winning if they weren't playing at a ridiculous level. However, many of those who vote for baseball's MVPs lean towards the guy on a winning team. This year the AL winner will be Trout because he is so head and shoulders above the rest of that field in the AL.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2019, 9:02 PM Post
I was really hoping he'd make it to 50 home runs...He still can, but he needs to get hot.

A 50/30 season would be remarkable!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
He would be the 2nd player in MLB history with a 45/35 season if he does fall short of 50 home runs, but gets a few more stolen bases. Only other player to do that is Alfonso Soriano.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:34 AM Post
Baldkin said:
All this talk about 50/30 reminds me of a childhood favorite, Eric Davis, and just how close he was to being a 30/80 guy and a 40/60 guy in 86 and 87. He just couldn't stay healthy.

I approve of this message! My profile picture is Eric Davis in case you can't tell since it can be hard to see [smile].

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ennder said:
Baldkin said:

I approve of this message! My profile picture is Eric Davis in case you can't tell since it can be hard to see [smile].

My 3 brothers and I used to play strat o matic draft leagues with the 87 set, and I always made sure I got Eric Davis first. He was an absolute monster in 87.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 10:42 AM Post
Brewers have not really helped Yelich for winning back to back MVPs. No matter how amazing you are, hard to win MVP on a middle tier team unless you are just that far superior. My guess is it has to go to Bellinger due to being closest to Yelich & being on a historical great team. Yeli really needs to get hot to end season to separate more from Bellinger to overcome probably missing playoffs. Help if Bellinger batting average continues to plummet rest of the month as well

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
Thing is there really isn't separation between Yelich and Bellinger. Yelich has a slightly higher BA/OPS and some stolen bases, but Bellinger is a superior defender.

B/R has Bellinger over Yelich 8.3 WAR to 7.0, and Fangraphs has Yelich over Bellinger 7.5 WAR to 7.3

I'm not saying that the MVP should be handed out based on WAR, but I just don't think that Yelich is clearly a superior player to Bellinger. If Yelich was still up in the 1.150 OPS range, I think this would be a different discussion, but he "slumped" with only a .939 OPS and 5 homeruns.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
I don’t know when it became a trend to call a guy more valuable because he makes his team good and a guy isn’t as valuable because his team would be good without him...but, what?

Who adds the most value to his team? Who? That is what should matter...maybe being in the postseason sways it for people past that. But outside of that? No, just no. Stop the madness that Bellinger should get docked because he takes a team from good to elite or whatever it is instead of sub .500 to .500.

If Yelich adds 10 wins and Bellinger adds 11 Bellinger should win. Why does it matter that Yelich takes us from 75 to 85 and Bellinger takes his team from 100 to 111?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
I don’t know when it became a trend to call a guy more valuable because he makes his team good and a guy isn’t as valuable because his team would be good without him...but, what?

Who adds the most value to his team? Who? That is what should matter...maybe being in the postseason sways it for people past that. But outside of that? No, just no. Stop the madness that Bellinger should get docked because he takes a team from good to elite or whatever it is instead of sub .500 to .500.

If Yelich adds 10 wins and Bellinger adds 11 Bellinger should win. Why does it matter that Yelich takes us from 75 to 85 and Bellinger takes his team from 100 to 111?

Again.... Yeli & Bellinger are pretty close. If two are close, voters often will vote for one whose team was better. They don’t vote on WAR alone as you’d like. Don’t know where you are getting idea that anyone thinks they should dock Belly for being on better team....that clearly makes him front runner for the award. That’s the way voters often view it. For Yeli to win award he needs to not be close to Belly but separate offensively over next month. He needs to clearly be more valuable offensively to offset Belly’s superior D & being best player on best team in baseball. They have been neck and neck offensively all season. You can cherry pick stats to make legit case for both.

You can claim that wins created is only thing that matters but that isn’t reality. Believe only 7 players since 95 (48 winners in that span) have won without making playoffs and almost all those guys were just on different planet statistically than all other players. Bonds twice, ARod in 03, Trout & Harper. Those guys had no one in league on their level. So again, if Yeli & Bellinger are still close & Brewers are not a playoff team, I don’t see him getting the votes needed. He needs to separate and be clear cut the best player in NL. Luckily Bellinger has been slumping as of late opening door for Yeli to do so. Him leading Brewers from behind to playoffs like he did last year will weigh nicely to voters as well

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 08, 2019, 2:20 PM Post
#1 Because someone literally said it in this thread and it surely isn’t the first time someone has made the claim.

#2 I was never, at any point, speaking for how voters typically vote. I’m very aware how they vote...and it certainly does not dock a guy for being on an elite team. However it is becoming more and more popular for people to say it should be that way. Docking a guy for being in a nine postseason team is questionable enough...docking a guy for his team being too good? Wowza

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply