LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?

Author Message
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#21

Posted: April 06, 2019, 3:30 AM Post
Posts: 3421
True Blue Brew Crew said:
It has nothing to do with patience. They're not going to buy another year and wait until June 2020 to bring him up. Once this June arrives you've locked in as much control as you'll ever have. The Brewers are a contender. They're not going to leave one of their best bats in the entire organization in San Antonio all year. Hiura can help the big club go further than last year.



Why not just wait and see where we're at as the season goes along. If he produces like Braun did when he was in AAA after not dominating AA, there shouldn't be any question.

If he struggles (as he has so badly thus far) in AAA, and we have no need for him, then it's not just about team control, but about development.

I'm just as bullish on him as you are. I believe he'll come up and be a stud from the jump. That said, that part in blue...does seriously have me slightly concerned. 6K's thus far in 8 ABs? I mean, I know Prince started off similar in his big league career, but...still.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#22

Posted: April 07, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 217
I think anyone thinking Huira is going to "be a stud from day 1" is going to be very disappointed when they have to park the love bus and accept he'll have the same growing pains most prospects do. I look at his MILB numbers and see a guy who is a solid prospect but by no means a "can't miss star." Hell, a lot of the "can't miss stars" miss. My best advice would be to temper the enthusiasm and be pleasantly surprised. Anything short of super stardom for some here will be an epic fail.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#23

Posted: April 07, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 708
I think people who are starting to pop up saying those of us with big expectations for Hiura this year are putting too much stock into a couple days of boxscores. See how that works both ways. Thanks for the advice though.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#24

Posted: April 07, 2019, 1:27 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 217
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I think people who are starting to pop up saying those of us with big expectations for Hiura this year are putting too much stock into a couple days of boxscores. See how that works both ways. Thanks for the advice though.


.272 with a really mediocre OPS and below average defense at AA. See how I just pulled into the lead?

Your welcome for the advice. Happy to lend a hand where its needed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#25

Posted: April 07, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
Posts: 3421
TigerUppercut said:
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I think people who are starting to pop up saying those of us with big expectations for Hiura this year are putting too much stock into a couple days of boxscores. See how that works both ways. Thanks for the advice though.


.272 with a really mediocre OPS and below average defense at AA. See how I just pulled into the lead?

Your welcome for the advice. Happy to lend a hand where its needed.



No, actually I don't. Namely, because you can't really pull ahead in how people "believe" a player is going to develop and just stating that a prospect is going to go through "growing pains," isn't really a hot take.

But beyond that, just on a fact-based discussion, do we get to pick and choose which stats and what levels we're going to use? Because if we do, then I sure wouldn't be using batting average. I'd also probably look at how he's done as a whole and instead of dinging him because of a .272 batting average at AA, I might look at the fact that he was the AZFL MVP where he hit .323 with a not so mediocre .934 OPS.

I'd also mention that nobody believes he's Bobby Grich at 2nd base. Or that he was the most advanced draft when he was drafted a couple of years ago at 20 years old.

Again, I would mention this if any of it really mattered since it's not a fact-based argument, but an opinion that some people share regarding how the top ranked 2nd base prospect in the majors is going to do early on in his career.

So thanks for "lending a hand" there bud.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#26

Posted: April 08, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
Posts: 121
I have a tendency to agree with those who preach patience with Huira. For my part I think he looks the real deal—balanced, restrained swing that spends more time than average in the zone. He’s got gap power and there’s a stillness in the box that bespeaks a calm, intelligent approach. I think all the signs are hopeful but I just can’t believe in “slam dunks.” So many have failed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#27

Posted: April 08, 2019, 10:10 PM Post
Posts: 1020
Clemente’s Dream said:
I have a tendency to agree with those who preach patience with Huira. For my part I think he looks the real deal—balanced, restrained swing that spends more time than average in the zone. He’s got gap power and there’s a stillness in the box that bespeaks a calm, intelligent approach. I think all the signs are hopeful but I just can’t believe in “slam dunks.” So many have failed.



I think everyone understands you need to have patience with a young prospect. Where the opinions differ is between those who believe he'll be a good hitter early in his career and those who believe that it'll take another year because he hit .272 and didn't dominant AA last year(the only level he wasn't dominant, he was still good).

But this isn't a Lewis Brinson or Corey Ray type player. He's got a much better hit tool and guys like that tend to have more success earlier on.

This whole thing is pointless though. I'd say lets wait until it's past the cutoff to even start talking about this and look and see how he's done in AAA, or even better, just wait and see what he does this year. But just in general, I'd hope we'd be patient with all our young guys. It's a tough sport and an even tougher sport the harder you're trying sometimes(over swinging, being overly aggressive for a hitter, or over throwing and losing command as a pitcher).

It's rare a prospect comes up and can just relax and doesn't press. We have plenty of time to see if Keston is one of those guys or if he isn't, but I'm pretty sure it'll be tough to find a reason in his one year thus far in full season BB to know one way or another.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#28

Posted: April 09, 2019, 6:01 AM Post
Posts: 4390
18PAs thus for for both 11ks for Hiura 10Ks for Ray. Hiura 5hits 3XBH including a HR. Ray 4hits all singles 3bbs so 10ks in 15 ABs!

Not off to being called up starts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#29

Posted: April 09, 2019, 11:40 AM Post
Posts: 4160
TigerUppercut said:
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I think people who are starting to pop up saying those of us with big expectations for Hiura this year are putting too much stock into a couple days of boxscores. See how that works both ways. Thanks for the advice though.


.272 with a really mediocre OPS and below average defense at AA. See how I just pulled into the lead?

Your welcome for the advice. Happy to lend a hand where its needed.


Whatever sort of race this is floating around in your head, I feel bad for you.

That being said, Hiura was dominating AA through most of June 2018 prior to a thumb sprain that cost him time and likely took a long while to get back to feeling 100% swinging a bat. The 0.272 line you mentioned largely neglects the 0.322 line he put up through the end of June (which includes a full month of AA at bats) across two levels in 300 plate appearances - more than half his 2018 minor league season. It also completely neglects him raking in the AZFL. Hiura is still in the minors because he does need more time to develop certain aspects of his game, however I'd advise you to save alot of room for crow in your diet if you think ~5 AAA box scores (one full game coming against Kershaw as a starter) amounts to anything in the grand scheme of his ability as an impact MLB player.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#30

Posted: April 09, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3334
I don't get the Hiura thing. I hope he makes me look like an utter fool. But this is a player who is still very clearly developing to me. Which the team has said. He is putting up decent, but not other galaxy numbers at AAA, and I just don't see him as a guy that will come up and start tearing the cover off the ball. An .800 OPS at 2B would be excellent, IF he does that, but the reverence for him would lead one to believe we have Mike Trout down there or something. I know there would be some shuffling around if he became a starter this year, but Moustaskas at 2B is a vastly better option right now and it's not close. I understand there are whispers of Aguilar being the odd man out and opening 2B. But right now, I don't see a really urgent reason for Hiura to be in Milwaukee where he won't be playing every day, which by all account he needs to be doing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#31

Posted: April 09, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
Posts: 3421
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't get the Hiura thing. I hope he makes me look like an utter fool. But this is a player who is still very clearly developing to me. Which the team has said. He is putting up decent, but not other galaxy numbers at AAA, and I just don't see him as a guy that will come up and start tearing the cover off the ball. An .800 OPS at 2B would be excellent, IF he does that, but the reverence for him would lead one to believe we have Mike Trout down there or something. I know there would be some shuffling around if he became a starter this year, but Moustaskas at 2B is a vastly better option right now and it's not close. I understand there are whispers of Aguilar being the odd man out and opening 2B. But right now, I don't see a really urgent reason for Hiura to be in Milwaukee where he won't be playing every day, which by all account he needs to be doing.



Ok, but what else are they going to say? "He's ready right now, he's not going to develop any more?"

To the second part in bold, can we stop doing this? He's got 18 PA's in AAA. If he goes 4-4 can we come back and say, "see, he's putting up great numbers in AAA?" Of course not...that'd be foolish. The belief in Hiura has absolutely nothing to do with his AAA numbers or lack thereof.

And nobody's acting like he's Trout. We're acting like he's an advanced bat and the best 2nd base prospect in the minors...which he is. A guy we drafted at 20 years old just two years ago who recognised as the best hitter in the draft and has done nothing but hit well in advancing up to AAA. Why would that not excite us, especially given what we've had at 2nd base? This year we've got a 3rd basemen signed for 10 million because we didn't have anything there.

I just don't know how people can make a statement of fact about something that we've got no way to actually prove either way right now. You're basically just stating an opinion as fact. It's not close? Talk about the unwarranted love for a player. Moustaksas has a career .307 OBP, a .738 OPS at 3rd base. He's gonna hit some HR's, but he is unlikely to hit for a high average or get on base given that he's 1000 games into his career and he hasn't yet.


Finally, last part in bold, I haven't seen anyone calling for them to bring him up right now. I don't think people who are more bullish on him want to see him up and obviously, people who don't see the reason for excitement don't want to see him up. I haven't seen anyone say he should be up right now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#32

Posted: April 09, 2019, 8:00 PM Post
Posts: 3421
Clemente’s Dream said:
I have a tendency to agree with those who preach patience with Huira. For my part I think he looks the real deal—balanced, restrained swing that spends more time than average in the zone. He’s got gap power and there’s a stillness in the box that bespeaks a calm, intelligent approach. I think all the signs are hopeful but I just can’t believe in “slam dunks.” So many have failed.



I agree. I'm always more skeptical of a guy like Brinson or players who have more movement in their swing and are a bit undisciplined. It's so much easier for big league pitchers to get them out.

I may be wrong, but I don't think people are saying it's a slam dunk though. You're right, that's almost never the case with a minor leaguer. Baseball is such a mental game that you can get in your own head and screw yourself up for a dozen different ways. Just looking at the box scores thus far and not having watched him, it appears as though he's getting more aggressive, maybe anxious as he's on the precipice of the big leagues, perhaps trying to hit for more power. I doubt he's running into pitchers with better stuff than he saw in the Fall League.

Either way, the speculation one way or the other is probably pointless. We'll know soon enough if he's going to be a good big league hitter.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#33

Posted: April 10, 2019, 5:26 AM Post
Posts: 1639
I can tell you one first round pick that’s NOT gonna make an impact in Milwaukee.

Corey Ray.
Was hoping stearns would of sold high on him this offseason, every game he plays from this point on, trade value goes down. It’s early but he’s on pace to set k records. Another Keon Broxton.

Now of course this is only my opinion, but the scouts I’ve read hate his hit tool. Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#34

Posted: April 10, 2019, 5:29 AM Post
Posts: 10724
Brew crew 92 said:
I can tell you one first round pick that’s NOT gonna make an impact in Milwaukee.

Corey Ray.
Was hoping stearns would of sold high on him this offseason, every game he plays from this point on, trade value goes down. It’s early but he’s on pace to set k records. Another Keon Broxton.

Now of course this is only my opinion, but the scouts I’ve read hate his hit tool. Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


If scouts hate him, no prospect list rates him all that highly, and a random person on Brewerfan.net hates him....who exactly are you going to try and fool?

Speaking of holes in swings though, Keston Hiura. He has essentially struck out in any AB he did not get a hit in so far this year and managed a K% near 30% in the AZ Fall league. The kid is not dominating the minors. I think he has shown a lot of elite attributes, but not the kind of kid I would expect to come and be an above average MLB player.

The question is silly though. Keston Hiura will be the next to make an impact barring a terrible injury. No one else is even on the map in my opinion.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#35

Posted: April 10, 2019, 6:13 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6961
Brew crew 92 said:
I can tell you one first round pick that’s NOT gonna make an impact in Milwaukee.

Corey Ray.
Was hoping stearns would of sold high on him this offseason, every game he plays from this point on, trade value goes down. It’s early but he’s on pace to set k records. Another Keon Broxton.

Now of course this is only my opinion, but the scouts I’ve read hate his hit tool. Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


Golden Boy Hiura is matching Ray K for K so far, yet he still walks on water. How about we tap the brakes on the "this prospect sucks and will never amount to anything" talk until we get a few weeks of games in. Ray showed last year why he was a high draft pick, and while I agree that his hit tool needs work, he's got a ton of other tools that teams find attractive. Judging a prospect on his first week of games at the highest level in the minors is the ultimate "small sample size" overreaction.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#36

Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:19 AM Post
Posts: 1639
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:
I can tell you one first round pick that’s NOT gonna make an impact in Milwaukee.

Corey Ray.
Was hoping stearns would of sold high on him this offseason, every game he plays from this point on, trade value goes down. It’s early but he’s on pace to set k records. Another Keon Broxton.

Now of course this is only my opinion, but the scouts I’ve read hate his hit tool. Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


Golden Boy Hiura is matching Ray K for K so far, yet he still walks on water. How about we tap the brakes on the "this prospect sucks and will never amount to anything" talk until we get a few weeks of games in. Ray showed last year why he was a high draft pick, and while I agree that his hit tool needs work, he's got a ton of other tools that teams find attractive. Judging a prospect on his first week of games at the highest level in the minors is the ultimate "small sample size" overreaction.


Ok, we just disagree on Ray, and yes 20 ABs is too small a sample even with a 65 % k rate.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#37

Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:45 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11813
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Imagine a GM rushing to trade someone in a situation that you described. Just imagine if it worked that way. Ay yay yay.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#38

Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:55 AM Post
Posts: 1639
Brew4U said:
Imagine a GM rushing to trade someone in a situation that you described. Just imagine if it worked that way. Ay yay yay.


I said offseason. So I really don’t know what you’re talking about.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#39

Posted: April 10, 2019, 8:20 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11813
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:
Imagine a GM rushing to trade someone in a situation that you described. Just imagine if it worked that way. Ay yay yay.


I said offseason. So I really don’t know what you’re talking about.


Brew crew 92 said:
Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


This doesn't indicate the offseason.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Next First Round Pick To Have an Impact?
#40

Posted: April 10, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
Posts: 1639
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:
Imagine a GM rushing to trade someone in a situation that you described. Just imagine if it worked that way. Ay yay yay.


I said offseason. So I really don’t know what you’re talking about.


Brew crew 92 said:
Sell before it’s too late mr stearns, we can do better.


This doesn't indicate the offseason.


Oops my mistake.
Good job calling me out on that.
Trees and forest comes to mind though


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillScottCanRake, Eye Black, liveforoctober, moofis, Oxy, sveumrules, tonyei31 and 39 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test