LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 110 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia - Glove vs Bat

Author Message
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 08, 2019, 7:59 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2450
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
I don't have a problem with his glove but if you can' bat what good are you? Shaw is good defensively too. [sad]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:43 AM Post
Posts: 434
sveumrules said:
There are 182 players with at least 1,500 plate appearances since 2016.

Arcia ranks 177th in WAR (0.1), the five guys worse than him are Kendrys Morales, Albert Pujols, Victor Martinez, Gerardo Parra & Chris Davis. At least Orlando is cheap!! In 176th place, with 0.3 WAR, I'm not making this up, is Alcides Escobar.

He's still just 25, I guess. That play he made yesterday was insane. With a barren SS market (unless we could pry Story from Colorado, which is prolly a pipe dream) I'm guessing he's back for 2020 & we'll just have to cross our fingers he finally figures it out.

It literally can't get much worse.


I was hoping Stearns could sign Jose Iglesias and hope he is the bridge to Turang.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:57 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4463
Pugger said:
I don't have a problem with his glove but if you can' bat what good are you? Shaw is good defensively too. [sad]


There is a difference between a ss who can't hit and a 3b who can't hit. One is usually one of your better hitters and the other is normally your 7th or 8th hitter. You can normally hide a bad bat at ss if they field well. The problem is Arcia isn't just bad right now. He is awful


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:10 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2462
JimH5 said:
Arcia is currently posting a wRC+ of 60 for the season.

Going back to 1969, among all hitter seasons, for those who had enough PA to qualify for the batting title, Arcia's 2019 would rank tied for 3rd worst in franchise history.

Tim Johnson had an astounding 40 wRC+ in 1973.
Marquis Grissom had a 59 in 2000.
Ted Simmons also had a 60, in 1984.

A cold streak over the last 3 weeks of the year could drop him below Grissom.

To put his 60 into perspective, some of the guys who finished their careers at 140 wRC+ (just as far from the mean as Arcia) are Mike Piazza, Larry Walker and David Ortiz.


To put a bow on this one, Arcia finished the year with a 61 wRC+, last among qualifiers by a lot. Mallex Smith, Brandon Crawford and Yolmer Sanchez were tied for the spot above Arcia at 74.

His overall fWAR (-0.4) was 133rd out of 135, ahead of Eric Hosmer and Khris Davis.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:17 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6134
My interpretation is that Orlando needed more time at AAA. His AAA stats were probably boosted by being at Colorado Springs.

He's only 25 years old and the team has other needs to fill. So he gets another half-season leash from me at least.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 6:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 13479
Location: Milwaukee, WI
JimH5 said:
JimH5 said:
Arcia is currently posting a wRC+ of 60 for the season.

Going back to 1969, among all hitter seasons, for those who had enough PA to qualify for the batting title, Arcia's 2019 would rank tied for 3rd worst in franchise history.

Tim Johnson had an astounding 40 wRC+ in 1973.
Marquis Grissom had a 59 in 2000.
Ted Simmons also had a 60, in 1984.

A cold streak over the last 3 weeks of the year could drop him below Grissom.

To put his 60 into perspective, some of the guys who finished their careers at 140 wRC+ (just as far from the mean as Arcia) are Mike Piazza, Larry Walker and David Ortiz.


To put a bow on this one, Arcia finished the year with a 61 wRC+, last among qualifiers by a lot. Mallex Smith, Brandon Crawford and Yolmer Sanchez were tied for the spot above Arcia at 74.

His overall fWAR (-0.4) was 133rd out of 135, ahead of Eric Hosmer and Khris Davis.



And he laughed and smiled too much. What a bum.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:31 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2462
I also think he'll probably be back, absent a big trade where he's part of a package that brings another SS back. He'll be in his first arbitration year, coming off a bad one, so I don't expect his salary will be more than $1.5 million.

And the stats that I posted, while bad, don't really compare to the very worst players who don't accumulate enough plate appearances to make the list.

I think if 2020 is a repeat of these last two years, they'll part ways with him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:55 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10994
It might not look like much but Arcia did show some positives this year at the plate. He struck out less, he walked a lot more. He got the ball in the air more and he hit the ball harder. His xwOBA went from .237 to .280 which is a huge leap albeit still below average for a major league player. I would probably give him one more year to prove he can put it all together.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:57 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8177
JimH5 said:

His overall fWAR (-0.4) was 133rd out of 135, ahead of Eric Hosmer and Khris Davis.


Arcia's salary:$565,700
Hosmer's salary: $21,000,000 (under contract for SIX MORE SEASONS!!!)
Davis's salary: $16,500,000


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat
Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:27 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2462
PeaveyFury said:
JimH5 said:

His overall fWAR (-0.4) was 133rd out of 135, ahead of Eric Hosmer and Khris Davis.


Arcia's salary:$565,700
Hosmer's salary: $21,000,000 (under contract for SIX MORE SEASONS!!!)
Davis's salary: $16,500,000


And the other Chris Davis was at -1.3 fWAR for $23 million, and 3 more years at that rate. Arcia is a bargain!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 110 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test