LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia - Glove vs Bat

Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat

Posted: April 18, 2019, 8:23 AM Post
Orlando Arcia has really good defense, I would say elite. He is isn't out of this world like an Andrelton Simmons though...who literally can be a solid contributor with his defense and little to no offense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Orlando Arcia has really good defense, I would say elite. He is isn't out of this world like an Andrelton Simmons though...who literally can be a solid contributor with his defense and little to no offense.

So he isn't one of the best SS to ever play the game? No one in the league is close to being as good as Simmons defensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 8:40 AM Post
endaround said:
Still awaiting evidence of Arcia's other-worldly defensive ability.

Proof that if there isn't a concrete statistic for an aspect of a player's game, some just won't fully recognize the total value of an individual player to team wins. Sure, we all can tell when a batter puts up gaudy numbers or a pitcher has a sparkling ERA. It's harder to tell when a player at a team's most important defensive position gets to balls routinely that others wouldn't even be in position to dive for. A good amount of what makes Arcia so special happens in the split second when the batter is making contact with ball. By the time the camera switches to Arcia the difference has already been made. To the viewer it looks like Arcia is just fielding a ball within his vicinity.

I'll give everyone one example that even TV catches. How often do you see Arcia make a bad throw?

Arcia flat out makes the Brewers pitchers perform better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 9:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
Arcia is a great defender, but in the era of launch angle and strikeouts, his infield skills are less valuable than if he played in an earlier era.

Plus, great shortstop plays mostly create outs from what are otherwise singles, not doubles or triples, and surely not homers.

So, Arcia's skills, while great, don't provide the value to make up for his often empty bat.

Him being a great defender allows them to play Moustakas at 2B, but his empty bat also requires that they do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:00 AM Post
Under normal circumstances I would say that Arcia should be moved to #9 in the lineup because his poor OBP of .286 plays better than what the pitchers would do in a position that is only two spots ahead of Yelich in the batting order. But since Brewer pitchers have OBP'ed .429 so far this year, maybe Arcia should just stick at that 8th spot in the lineup.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
JimH5 said:
Arcia is a great defender, but in the era of launch angle and strikeouts, his infield skills are less valuable than if he played in an earlier era.

Plus, great shortstop plays mostly create outs from what are otherwise singles, not doubles or triples, and surely not homers.

So, Arcia's skills, while great, don't provide the value to make up for his often empty bat.

Him being a great defender allows them to play Moustakas at 2B, but his empty bat also requires that they do.

That makes sense. Thoughts on the shifting putting him in more important spots being a balance to those points? I'd guess it's not enough to make up for it but it's part of the equation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:11 AM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
MrTPlush said:

So he isn't one of the best SS to ever play the game? No one in the league is close to being as good as Simmons defensively.

Considering the fact many here say, "Anything past his defense is a bonus", I would say many must think Arcia is on the same level as Simmons...who could literally survive on his defense. That or they really don't understand the defense needed to suck with the bat. Arcia is really good, but a pretty marginal player without real offense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
JimH5 said:

That makes sense. Thoughts on the shifting putting him in more important spots being a balance to those points? I'd guess it's not enough to make up for it but it's part of the equation.

When does Arcia make amazing plays when they do those extreme shifts? I can't recall very many. He makes some great range plays in the normal SS position and the more typical shift up the middle...but when they throw him halfway into RF I think Prince Fielder could pull off that shift. It rarely takes any moving.

Don't get me wrong he is a big help in the current defense...just not convinced it is exponentially more just because we shift more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2019, 8:37 AM Post
endaround said:
Still awaiting evidence of Arcia's other-worldly defensive ability.

crickets....

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
There are 26 SS with at least 2,000 innings from 2016-2018.

Among those 26 Arcia ranks 9th in DRS (+9) & 19th in UZR (-5.3), so the metrics are mixed.

From the eye test I tend to side more with DRS than UZR in this case, but even then he is a loooong way from someone like Andrelton (+71) or even the next tier of guys like Crawford (+35), Lindor (+36) or even someone like Nick Ahmed (+37).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2019, 10:40 AM Post
It would be a lot easier to live with Arcia's current production, if Braun, Shaw, and Aguilar weren't hitting significantly worse.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 30, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
Last 30 days/26 games for the Big O

.262 .319 .452 .771

This I can live with

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 30, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
ewitkows said:

.262 .319 .452 .771

This I can live with

Everybody would be ecstatic if Arcia could continue to hit in the .260s with a near or better .320 OBP. His glove is a difference maker and to get that type of offensive production from him would be fantastic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 01, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
I almost fell out of the Loge last night when Arcia bunted. What the heck was that? [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 01, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
I almost fell out of the Loge last night when Arcia bunted. What the heck was that? [laughing]

How soon we forget...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 01, 2019, 2:48 PM Post
ewitkows said:

.262 .319 .452 .771

This I can live with

Yeah... get a couple years like this, then deal him and bring up Turang to replace him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
Batting Stats as of 5/8/19

Lorenzo Cain Orlando Arcia
.250-BA .250-BA
.310-OBP .299-OBP
.704-OPS .698-OPS
.395-SLG .398-SLG
4-HR 4-HR

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 6:53 AM Post
vetter said:

.250-BA .250-BA
.310-OBP .299-OBP
.704-OPS .698-OPS
.395-SLG .398-SLG
4-HR 4-HR

Cain is actually the defensive whiz people claim Arcia to be

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
endaround said:
vetter said:

.250-BA .250-BA
.310-OBP .299-OBP
.704-OPS .698-OPS
.395-SLG .398-SLG
4-HR 4-HR

Cain is actually the defensive whiz people claim Arcia to be

They are both very valuable on defense and Arica is continuing to improve while Cain is probably on the back 9.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 7:11 AM Post
Arcia actually has been pretty acceptable on offense so far. Though funny enough the defense went backwards once he started hitting. Pretty much doing what they need him to do at this point. Float an OPS around .700 with good defense.

Buuuuut is it actually improvement or just a hot streak? Because really him hitting decently over 30 days at a time isn’t really a new thing. He had stretches like this last year and still ended up one of MLBs worst offensively.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply