LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia - Glove vs Bat

Offline  Re: Arcia - Glove vs Bat

Posted: May 09, 2019, 7:14 AM Post
To me Arcia's biggest issue on defense is lack of focus. 95% of the time he is top end. But once every few games it just seems like he loses focus and misses a simple one. They ask him to do a lot with all their shifts and for the most part he does a very good job.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 7:58 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Arcia actually has been pretty acceptable on offense so far. Though funny enough the defense went backwards once he started hitting. Pretty much doing what they need him to do at this point. Float an OPS around .700 with good defense.

Buuuuut is it actually improvement or just a hot streak? Because really him hitting decently over 30 days at a time isn’t really a new thing. He had stretches like this last year and still ended up one of MLBs worst offensively.

Time will tell but one good sign is he already hit one more dinger this year than all of last year and just missed clearing the fence with another on Tuesday.

Looking at his numbers so far, they're definitely trending more in line with 2017 than 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
vetter said:
MrTPlush said:
Arcia actually has been pretty acceptable on offense so far. Though funny enough the defense went backwards once he started hitting. Pretty much doing what they need him to do at this point. Float an OPS around .700 with good defense.

Buuuuut is it actually improvement or just a hot streak? Because really him hitting decently over 30 days at a time isn’t really a new thing. He had stretches like this last year and still ended up one of MLBs worst offensively.

Time will tell but one good sign is he already hit one more dinger this year than all of last year and just missed clearing the fence with another on Tuesday.

Looking at his numbers so far, they're definitely trending more in line with 2017 than 2018.

That would be the one thing that could be a legit prediction that he has turned a corner. Because last year he had zero power and this year he does...much like his more successful 2017 campaign.

That could certainly lead one to be optimistic about him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 10:06 AM Post
jjfanec said:
To me Arcia's biggest issue on defense is lack of focus. 95% of the time he is top end. But once every few games it just seems like he loses focus and misses a simple one. They ask him to do a lot with all their shifts and for the most part he does a very good job.

Arcia always struck me as a bit of a loose cannon.

Case in point is blatantly running through a stop sign past third base on Tuesday night. He ended up scoring but went against Sedar's directive.

I really think with him it's all about evolving in his maturation process. That should help his focus somewhat. But I think the rigors of a 162 game schedule will cause anyone to have bad days now and again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
vetter said:
MrTPlush said:

That would be the one thing that could be a legit prediction that he has turned a corner. Because last year he had zero power and this year he does...much like his more successful 2017 campaign.

That could certainly lead one to be optimistic about him.

Here's another reason I'm generally optimistic on Arcia: I think he got a major wake-up call after his stints in AAA last year.

I have no inside information, but my impression was that he had gotten complacent last year given he was basically assured a starting role at SS going into the season. I even remember reading something on reviewingthebrew where he apparently showed up to spring training out of shape. That article should still be out there somewhere.

After AAA, he came back swinging the bat quite well in the back half of the year and extremely well down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Now I'm sure he improved some mechanical aspects in AAA, but I think it was as much mental as mechanics.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 10:52 AM Post
His pre swing routine has totally changed.....bat more upright...hands and body quieter. Similar to Yelich in that regard.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 2:20 PM Post
Running through Sedar’s sign actually shows marked maturity. More guys should be doing the opposite of his signals.

Sadly only half blue..

Seriously though if Arcia was seeing the throw it was a heads up play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
Running through Sedar’s sign actually shows marked maturity. More guys should be doing the opposite of his signals.

Sadly only half blue..

I think part of why Arcia went was because he wasn't happy that whoever was on 2nd (Aguilar?), wasn't sent home on his hit just before that. They showed him standing there shaking his head. Not sure, as they didn't give a good replay, but probably a good decision by the Windmill on not sending that runner on Arcia's hit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 3:11 PM Post
Roderick said:
AKCheesehead said:

Sadly only half blue..

I think part of why Arcia went was because he wasn't happy that whoever was on 2nd (Aguilar?), wasn't sent home on his hit just before that. They showed him standing there shaking his head. Not sure, as they didn't give a good replay, but probably a good decision by the Windmill on not sending that runner on Arcia's hit.

Yeah, it was Aguilar who stopped at 3rd base in the bottom of the seventh after Arcia's hit.

Arcia was probably pissed because Strasburg was dominating the Brewers' hitters and at that point it was still 0-0. Had Aguilar scored, Arcia would have driven in the first run of the game. I don't think it would have been wise to send the big guy to the plate in such a tight game when hits were so hard to come by.

In the end, everything worked out!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2019, 6:44 PM Post
Roderick said:
AKCheesehead said:

Sadly only half blue..

I'm.pretty sure Arcia was just giving Jesus a hard time because he was too slow to be able to score on his hit. He had kind of a smirk on his face while he was shaking his head.

Seder was right to hold Aggie......he would have been out easily.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 5:19 AM Post
I would give Arcia the benefit of the doubt that he ran through that stop sign because he saw that the throw from the outfield was going to go over the cutoff man. He might have had a better angle to see that than Sedar, who had come down the line.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:28 AM Post
Ed Sedar caused the 18 inning game the other day. He stopped I forgot who at 3rd which would have given us another run and we ended up not driving anyone else in until the 18th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
ewitkows said:
Ed Sedar caused the 18 inning game the other day. He stopped I forgot who at 3rd which would have given us another run and we ended up not driving anyone else in until the 18th.

That is incorrect. It was a hit to right field. Eric Thames was the baserunner and had he been sent, he’d have been a dead duck. So Sedar put up the stop sign. As soon as he did and as soon as Thames stopped, the right fielder bobbled/dropped the ball. But by then it was too late for Thames to start running again.

At least, this is how I remember the play.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
8 Errors since the end of April and since the posting of his defensive metrics that rank him at best the 9th best defensive shortstop over the last couple years. So the only data left to support him being elite is a Brewers fan's eye test...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
xisxisxis said:
8 Errors since the end of April and since the posting of his defensive metrics that rank him at best the 9th best defensive shortstop over the last couple years. So the only data left to support him being elite is a Brewers fan's eye test...

I find this funny just because I felt the second his bat started turning around his defense tanked, at least regarding errors. Probably just a coincidence though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 1:02 PM Post
Oh you told them so. You got them! Congrats!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 1:37 PM Post
Brew4U said:

uhh…...what?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

uhh…...what?

It was to the one that you quoted. So tiresome that some need to rush on here when something fits their agenda and try to make snide comments. This place sucks as of late.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 5:18 PM Post
Brew4U said:
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

uhh…...what?

It was to the one that you quoted. So tiresome that some need to rush on here when something fits their agenda and try to make snide comments. This place sucks as of late.

Don’t worry a double digit day old Braun thread got dug up too. That is the weeks theme on the forum it seems. Just wait till Nelson comes back and struggles or does well.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply