LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corbin Burnes moving to bullpen role

Offline  Corbin Burnes moving to bullpen role

Posted: May 01, 2019, 10:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
From Robert Murray: Corbin Burnes is moving to the bullpen for “a little while,” Craig Counsell said. The addition of Gio Gonzalez changed the equation.

From Adam McCalvy: Corbin Burnes is back with the Brewers to pitch out of the 'pen. The thinking with him changed, Craig Counsell said, after the Gio Gonzalez signing.

Here is VIDEO of Corbin Burnes discussing the move to the bullpen following tonight’s game.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Corbin Burnes moving to bullpen role

Posted: May 01, 2019, 11:41 PM Post
This makes sense to me all around at this juncture. I still believe In Burnes as a starter long term. What I really hope for is that they will continue to work with him on the side on secondary pitches and mindset/approach to make his next placement in the rotation a permanent one. I refuse to look at Corbin Burnes long term and say he’s a bullpen piece. Not yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 4:05 AM Post
AKCheesehead said:
This makes sense to me all around at this juncture. I still believe In Burnes as a starter long term. What I really hope for is that they will continue to work with him on the side on secondary pitches and mindset/approach to make his next placement in the rotation a permanent one. I refuse to look at Corbin Burnes long term and say he’s a bullpen piece. Not yet.

I really hope they don't view him as a long term reliever. I think this is because he's best suited to be a better reliever, but we need starters. Unless we're gonna spend 6/180 on Gerritt Cole this off-season(which I wouldn't be totally against to be honest) we have to develop our own ace at SOME point...don't we? Burnes has the stuff. He's shown flashes of a really nice change at times and he obviously has the fastball and breaking ball.

I think his fastball location has been the biggest problem. He was so good last year at hitting his spots with that high fastball. This year he has not. That's been the biggest issue he's had IMO.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 6:54 AM Post
I understand we’re in win now mode and our bullpen is trash, but this seems very short sighted to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 7:07 AM Post
I don't understand what the harm would be. How much does anyone really think this could stunt his development? That seems like a fabricated concern. Yes, it could delay his readiness for the rotation for roughly the same amount of time he's in the pen, but logically it shouldn't compromise it.

And I don't see how you can argue that you should compromise the present by keeping him in the rotation, where he's trash, or in AAA, which contributes to the bullpen being trash. He's proven to have some ability to be a valuable reliever right now, albeit perhaps with above average volatility, and you desperately need help in the pen. It would foolish to basically punt on this year for something that's probably not a significant long-term gain anyway (again, this doesn't compromise his ability to be a good starter eventually). I mean, how important is it to invest in getting him ready for the rotation if it's not even clear that he has the stuff to be a good starter? What's wrong with a rich man's Tyler Thornburg?

Short-sighted* would be trading him for short-term help in the pen. This is an obvious move to me.

*And to be honest, you could make a strong case for trading one or two prospects to stay in contention this year, as long as you're not giving away too much surplus value. I don't normally support that kind of trade, but it doesn't take much to solidify a bullpen, where wild swings based on few players are the norm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
Here's the deal. When you break in as a starter, you have to perform whether you're with a contender or a team rebuilding or they'll send you back to minors and try someone else. That's why proven starting pitchers make the big bucks. Burnes didn't have to be great out of the gate, but he needed to be better than awful. He needs to be shuffled back and wait for his next turn and when he gets it, he better be adequate because those opportunities aren't endless. If this proves anything, it's that spin rates are overrated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:04 AM Post
If Corbin wants a starting spot, then he needs to start being reliable. So far this year he has flat out stunk. Heck, even if he was throwing up near an average stat line, he'd still be in the rotation. He can work the pen if he does his job there. If not, then send him back to AAA and start him there to figure it out. That's coming from a guy that wanted all three in our rotation. It can't just be given because they are young and promising. They have to show something that warrants their place.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
Well that makes 1/3 and the other two are still stinking up the joint in the rotation. Though really I think Woodruff has been decent. Wonder if one of the other two will end up with a similar fate.

Pretty sad this is how the pitching staff has done...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:13 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Well that makes 1/3 and the other two are still stinking up the joint in the rotation. Though really I think Woodruff has been decent. Wonder if one of the other two will end up with a similar fate.

Pretty sad this is how the pitching staff has done...

Yeah, I have to think it's been pretty much the worst-case scenario they thought of when finalizing the rotation in March. Davies, the afterthought who eeked out the 5th spot, has pitched like an ace. Literally everyone else has, other than a few glimpses of hope, been pretty bad. I agree that Woodruff has looked better of late.

Unless Peralta gets his location under control, I doubt we'll see him in the pen. This team can't afford to have another potential powder keg out there. I'm really hoping he shows improvement today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
Location has been a problem for pretty much all the pitchers not named Davies so I'm not sure a move the pen is going to solve his location problems.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
Location has been a problem for pretty much all the pitchers not named Davies so I'm not sure a move the pen is going to solve his location problems.

If he can get his fastball to tick up to 97-98 out of the pen, theoretically he can get by with more mistakes in the zone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
Houser, Brown, and Nelson aren't exactly knocking on the door so Burnes will likely get another shot this year. Because it's hard to believe Woodruff, Peralta, and even Gio will just cruise along.

Honestly, I would put Anderson back in the rotation when he comes off the DL and send Woodruff to the pen or Peralta to AAA. (We'll see how they do in their next start or two in the meantime.)

Good reminder though why very few guys should be untouchable when trade talks come up. Turns out they may not all be TOR starters or aces, whatever. Also of note, CC did not mention anything about Burnes being a piggyback starter, or starting every other Tuesday, or any other version of that. No, he's a reliever for now- period.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 10:19 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I still have a lot of hope for Woodruff figuring things out in the rotation. He has looked so close, so may times this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 02, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Thurston Fluff said:

If he can get his fastball to tick up to 97-98 out of the pen, theoretically he can get by with more mistakes in the zone.

Maybe but even Hader is getting hammered when he misses with his fastball so I think he's going to need more than just a few ticks on his fastball to turn things around. They have to figure out why the entire staff suddenly can't put the ball where they want it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2019, 4:58 PM Post
This move makes sense to me.....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 04, 2019, 6:08 AM Post
With Burnes now in the pen, I think we’re going to see the Corbin Burnes that struck out 9 Cardinal batters in the first three innings. Give him an outing or two to settle in, then watch him dominate. 96-98 with his devastating slider > this bullpen gonna get good in a hurry.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 04, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Corbin Burnes with a nice outing out of the bullpen tonight. He seemed to command the edges of the zone much better than his previous appearances. I am hopeful he can serve as an above average bullpen arm for the time being.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 5:10 AM Post
We all thought last year’s playoff experience would immensely help Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta.

Is it possible that the letdown of going from pitching late in tight games in packed houses with the World Series on the line to pitching early in empty houses in April gave them the false sense that they could light up on their focus a little bit?

It might be like what happens when closers enter the game in non-save situations.

Hopefully Burnes’ performance late in a tie game will remind him of the focus that’s always needed and get him back on track.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 6:56 AM Post
You always have to take pitching performances with a grain of salt when games go beyond 10 or 11 innings. Hitters become tired, and change their approach trying to hit HR. Advantage goes to pitchers the longer games go.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 05, 2019, 7:34 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
You always have to take pitching performances with a grain of salt when games go beyond 10 or 11 innings. Hitters become tired, and change their approach trying to hit HR. Advantage goes to pitchers the longer games go.

Still need to get job done & keep ball in Park. Anything good for Burnes helps rebuild confidence on mound.

Chacin
Anderson
Woodruff
Gio
Davies

I think will be rotation moving forward. Think same as Burnes, Freddy should go down & get some good outings under his belt. Burnes will get another opportunity this year & hopefully he is all figured out by then.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply