LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Chris Hook Appreciation Thread

Offline  Chris Hook Appreciation Thread

Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:53 PM Post
Another win and another great pitching performance! Chacin limited the damage and only allowed two runs. Corbin Burnes with back to back quality outings! Guerra notches another save!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Chris Hook Appreciation Thread

Posted: May 06, 2019, 10:12 PM Post
Entire pitching staff stabilized with the ending of the great experiment, Burnes out Anderson in, Gio in. Burnes to pen. Woody pitching like he’s capable, Wilson gone, Barnes sent down, Guerra dominating, Albers great, jeffress getting better, Hader is Hader. What a fantastic turnaround in a week or so’s time, and all the credit to Chris hook.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 10:12 PM Post
Beautiful

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 12:58 AM Post
Zach Davies currently leads the NL in ERA

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 5:03 AM Post
Amazing how our pitching coach gets appreciation when we play weaker offenses and gets ripped on when we are playing the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cards at the start of the season

Let's see how the staff develops as the season goes on. That would be a fairer evaluation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 3:04 AM Post
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 7870108672

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 5:29 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1125895837870108672

Which fit’s the report of the difference between DJ and hook, hook being stronger with mechanics than DJ. Stearns not stupid, he’s gonna hire the right man for the job. It’s becoming more and more foolish to question stearns decision making ability, with the track record he’s built in the last 3+ years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 6:12 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
SomewhereInTime said:

Which fit’s the report of the difference between DJ and hook, hook being stronger with mechanics than DJ. Stearns not stupid, he’s gonna hire the right man for the job. It’s becoming more and more foolish to question stearns decision making ability, with the track record he’s built in the last 3+ years.

Realizing this philosophy sooner would have probably helped with your weeks of Craig Kimbrel-inspired frustration.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 6:42 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:
SomewhereInTime said:

Realizing this philosophy sooner would have probably helped with your weeks of Craig Kimbrel-inspired frustration.

Touché

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 6:53 AM Post
Encouraging that our relievers are in the top half in NL ERA at 7th, despite 27 more innings than any other team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 8:24 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Now that the Brewers aren't playing the same two elite offenses over and over, they're pitching better. Weird.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 9:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
Amazing how our pitching coach gets appreciation when we play weaker offenses and gets ripped on when we are playing the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cards at the start of the season

Let's see how the staff develops as the season goes on. That would be a fairer evaluation.

Why wait that long when we can anoint Derek Johnson as the saviour that got away & sunk our entire season while calling for Hook's termination in IGT's less than 25% of the way into the season?

What you're advocating for doesn't sound like very much fun.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
haha just think 5 days ago the sky was falling. Good to see things finally stabilizing, hopefully it continues. Cubs/Phil up next so some solid offenses, good time for an off day and for them to be doing well but they'll be tested here again.

Jeffress/Burnes added to the pen makes a world of difference if they're similar to themselves last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 10:21 AM Post
And That said:
Now that the Brewers aren't playing the same two elite offenses over and over, they're pitching better. Weird.

Exactly my thought. Hook looks a lot smarter facing the Mets/Nats current lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 11:35 AM Post
sveumrules said:
rickh150 said:

Why wait that long when we can anoint Derek Johnson as the saviour that got away & sunk our entire season while calling for Hook's termination in IGT's less than 25% of the way into the season?

The Derek Johnson worship the last few seasons was getting to me a bit. Not that I had a bone to pick with DJ I just thought it was a little much. It was interesting to contrast how everything that went well pitching-wise was attributed to DJ but none of the bad. And when it came to Darnell Coles as hitting coach he was nearly universally blamed for everything that went wrong with the offense but got no credit for any of the good. He's with Arizona now and look at them sitting near the top of the NL (and MLB) in hitting. Not that everything good can be laid at his feet, just like how not everything bad should have been laid at his feet when he was with the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
SeaBass said:
sveumrules said:
rickh150 said:

The Derek Johnson worship the last few seasons was getting to me a bit. Not that I had a bone to pick with DJ I just thought it was a little much. It was interesting to contrast how everything that went well pitching-wise was attributed to DJ but none of the bad. And when it came to Darnell Coles as hitting coach he was nearly universally blamed for everything that went wrong with the offense but got no credit for any of the good. He's with Arizona now and look at them sitting near the top of the NL (and MLB) in hitting. Not that everything good can be laid at his feet, just like how not everything bad should have been laid at his feet when he was with the Brewers.

I’ve always found the discussions fans have about coaches and managers to be amusing. We as fans see the performance side of the equation, but aren’t privy to the conversations coaches have with players between the lines, and we don’t see the practice, the drills, or the analytical side of the game, which is no doubt 90%+ of the job. Plus, there is the human element of building rapport and relationships with these guys, which certainly matters a great deal, too. With that comes all the potential pitfalls of human interaction, including teaching styles not meshing with certain players, messages getting stale or not resonating with a certain clubhouse mix. And we as fans are aware of almost none of this stuff. So to say anything definitive about the job performance of DJ or Hook or even CC strikes me as quite presumptuous. I’m not suggesting people shouldn’t have opinions, and I vent about decisions I don’t understand sometimes too. But I also try and remember that fan opinions are just that—opinions—and the ones about coaches are almost never worth the energy it takes to consider them.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals, Cubs, and Manny Machado, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply